How to load a bank with MIDIOX to another location

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

midest6

How to load a bank with MIDIOX to another location

Post by midest6 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:38 am

Is there a way to upload a bank to Prophet 12 with MIDIOX to another location than User Bank 4?
Every new bank i try to upload with MIDIOX just overwrites UserBank4

nikwal

Re: How to load a bank with MIDIOX to another location

Post by nikwal » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:32 am

I'm going to explain exacly how I copied the userbanks to factory quite easily but I'm not responsible if anything goes wrong for you.(this is for windows os)

1.0 Start midiox and select input&output devices in options/midi devices.
1.1 Go to menu view/sysex and then in the new window that appears sysex/receive manual dump.
1.2 On your p12, dump one bank at a time!! When you're done , press DONE in midiox and then menu display window/save as.. Now you've got all the user sounds..

2.0 Start your favorite hex editor which will probably be HxD! Find HxD and install it..
2.1 Open the file and copy the first five bytes. Its going to say F0 01 2A 02 XX, replace the xx with the factory bank, so 00 will be 04 and 01 will be 05 and so on.
2.2 Go to menu search/replace , change datatype to hex-values, paste the 5 numbers in the first field and the numbers with the modified bank in the second field. Press the replace all button.
2.3 You have to do 2.2 one time for every bank, so four times with the added numbers. Save the file.
2.4 Go to menu actions/send/sysex file.

3.0 Don't hold me responsible if this goes horribly wrong..
3.1 See point 3.0

VERY EASY right , not the least bit tedious hehe ;-)..

nikwal

Post by nikwal » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:05 pm

And while we are on the subject.. does anyone here have the full sysex definition?
On the p'8 i believe the data is ordered according to the manual but i think that is not the case here..
Im able to decode, translate most parameters and encode the data but it's a somewhat brobdingnagian job to find where everything is located in p12 sysex , except the names, that is easy..

elmquist

Post by elmquist » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:28 pm

nikwal wrote:And while we are on the subject.. does anyone here have the full sysex definition?
It has been discussed before in this thread where I posted a tool (Linux only) to determine the program vector locations from NRPN and CC parameter numbers:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5743

I have just uploaded a new version of that tool. Be the first to check it out and report back information in that thread.

Thanks in advance! :-)

PS: Forgot to say that some of the NRPN numbers in the Prophet 12 manual are wrong! So check with a MIDI monitoring program connected to the instrument.

nikwal

Post by nikwal » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!..
( hmm seems my search skills sucks :-/ )

ps.. here is the link to my stupid experiment.. http://nikwal.in-earth.org/bas/ you can clearly see its VERY much beta and so far only "A" is attempted to be translated..
Last edited by nikwal on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elmquist

Post by elmquist » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:58 pm

Not to worry! The search engine here takes some time to learn. And then there is the minor detail of search keywords.

Do you have access to a Linux machine?

Cheeeers in surströmming! . o O ( :mrgreen: )