Installing OMOM Soundset using Soundtower Editor

The Sequential Prophet-6 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

zeeb8

Installing OMOM Soundset using Soundtower Editor

Post by zeeb8 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi,

To help other fellow newbs I thought I would share my process for uploading the OMOM soundset patches to my P~6 using the Soundtower Editor. Hopefully if you are new to it this will help save you the 10-20 minutes I spent poking around the Soundtower editor to figure it out.

1. Updated my P~6 OS to 1.1
2. Purchased the Soundtower Editor and installed it (a little clunky that they do not include the exe download link in the registration confirmation email but no biggie).
3. Went to RTFM for the Soundtower Editor and found there was no manual. Being a former tech writer, panic ensued.
4. In the Voice screen for the soundtower editor (should be the default screen that opens) my P~6 was showing as OFF-LINE. Went to Global level 1, pressed button 8, and used the tens button to change my MIDI Output from Din to USB.
5. Initially I thought I would load the patches in the librarian window - couldn't find that or figure it out. But found if I went to MIDI>MIDI Setup there were additional instructions on settings to help foster the communication between P~6. - You can also get to the MIDI Setup window in the main Voice screen menu or by pressing Ctrl+M.
(The instructions are in the note and cover global settings for: MIDI Controller Enable, MIDI Parameter send -- Which is listed as Param Xmit on the keyboard, MIDI Parameter Receive, MIDI Sysex Enable, and MIDI Sysex Cable which I had already changed)
6.When I went back to the voice screen my P~6 showed up as ON-LINE. I was communicating via MIDI USB.
7. After not being able to figure out how to load the OMOM patches in the librarian window - In the voice window I went to File>Load Sysex File - and then loaded the syx file for the OMOM soundset.
8. A window popped up where I could assign the banks per 100 patches (which was nice because I wanted to put them in User Banks 2,3 & 4 so I could save User Banks 0 & 1 for my own patches). I loaded them 1 bank at a time. So what was Bank 1 on the left side, I loaded into User Bank 3 on the right.
9. Picked up Chinese food for lunch to help alleviate panic over lack of manual.

As a minor note it looks like some OMOM patches have sequencer data and some do not (I initially thought all did not but found that #18 Stylophone did).

Cheers,
John

austex78704

Re: Installing OMOM Soundset using Soundtower Editor

Post by austex78704 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks, John! I discovered Soundtower from your post, and was just wishing/hoping for a librarian. I'm using it on Mac and it seems to work great so far. The only thing I've noticed is that selecting a patch seems to blow out its category - as soon as I select a patch it gets loaded to the P6 but in Soundtower the category switches to "unassigned". Are you seeing this?

Thanks again for the helpful walk though, it saved me from what would have been a few frustrating steps.

Cheers,
Joel

cjstone

Post by cjstone » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:39 am

austex78704 wrote:......The only thing I've noticed is that selecting a patch seems to blow out its category - as soon as I select a patch it gets loaded to the P6 but in Soundtower the category switches to "unassigned". Are you seeing this?
I just got the P6 and started using the editor for Library Management and I too am having the same issue. Category changes to "-not assigned-" tag if you click on it, or if you "receive" banks from the P6 in the editor. Kinda defeats the purpose of a slick editor. A manual would be REALLY helpful. I have sent an email but I imagine if it existed it would be available. I might dig into the manual for the P8 editor, which I believe is available and see if I can connect some dots on managing this editor.

blewis

Post by blewis » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:34 am

AFAIK, there is no category information stored in the synth patch. So it may be that the category is additional metadata about the patch store in the app. So any new patches would have undefined category data.

Maybe not, but that's what I think. I've been digging into the P6 SYSEX format a bit.

djsandman

Post by djsandman » Fri May 06, 2016 3:28 pm

There is an option in Soundtower to send all factory banks to the P6 with categories. MIDI -> Transmit Bank -> All Factory Presets Categorized. This will update you P6 banks 500-999 with categories. By default it looks like the category information is not on the P6 until you send it over. If you do this first then browsing through these banks from the P6 won't zap the category in Soundtower.