Individual patches in sysex format

The Sequential Prophet-6 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Scott Righteous

Individual patches in sysex format

Post by Scott Righteous » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Has anyone taken the time to save all the factory patches in sysex format, and would they be willing to share them?

I loathe that synth makers always mix patches up in no order, I guess to show off the synth in stores. However the first thing I do is organize all bass sounds together, all leads, all pads, etc. In the case of the P-6, with just numbers to go by, this will be a tedious process.

I really wish DSI just provided a zip with all the individual patches, so I can organize them and send them to the user banks in the order I want, that would be fine.

You don't need a software editor for the P-6, all features are right there! So I don't want to drop cash for the Soundtower garbage.

Anyway, I figured I would ask to see if anyone has already done the fine and noble work of saving each patch out as sysex?
Perhaps someone who has the Soundtower editor can easily export those individual patches and throw them up on the forum in a zip?
That would garner you many karma points in the synth universe.

DJKeys

Re: Individual patches in sysex format

Post by DJKeys » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:26 pm

With the 1.1.9.8 code, you can do this (keep in mind to backup as this is beta code).

When you do a sysex dump, there are options for Program, Tens, Bank, and all.

Just select Program and it will save that single program via sysex. Keep in mind, when it is loaded into another machine, it will occupy the same location it did when it was downloaded-

-dj
Prophet 6
Access Virus TI2 Polar
Nord Stage 2
Korg Wavestation A/D
Korg TR Rack
Roland XV-5050

Scott Righteous

Post by Scott Righteous » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:17 pm

yeah, I was hoping not to have to save out every single patch - but knowing that they will reload to the same location is terrible.

If you have patch 001 selected, and send a sysex patch file to it - will it not load into 001?
If it loads into it's original location, then how can one organize banks by sound type?

In order to get things done, I always put all leads in one bank, all basses together, etc.

DJKeys

Post by DJKeys » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:21 pm

This is more of a question for DSI Support, as this is beta. I would suggest you wait until the new shipping version of code is released.

I have not extensively used this feature-

-dj
Prophet 6
Access Virus TI2 Polar
Nord Stage 2
Korg Wavestation A/D
Korg TR Rack
Roland XV-5050

Scott Righteous

Post by Scott Righteous » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:11 am

I actually did contact DSI support, and they said they do not have the individual files to post. They recommended either the Sound Tower editor, or a hex editor.

However I can confirm, that individual sysex files will only load back into their original location. So saving out those files individually is no way to re-organize your patches. What I did instead was go through the factory banks, and saved each patch to one of the user banks based on what type of sound it was - Leads in banks 0 and 1, basses and arps into bank 2, strings and pads into 3, etc. etc.

Then I could save out these whole banks - loud up the OMOM patches and save those favorites to bank 4 in some kind of order. Reload my original 0-3 banks and save those OMOM patches from bank 4 into the other banks.

It was a serious pain in the ass.

However I have already purchased a few of the Sound tower editors for other synths, and don't want to do that again for the P6 just for organizing patches.

I love the P6, but certainly if there was something to go in the "cons" column, it would be patch organization.

S.

blewis

Post by blewis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:37 pm

This problem is simply not important to DSI. If it's important to you, they'll tell you to buy $70 software after you've spent $2500 on their synth.

They show no signs of changing. That's just the way it is.