P6 with my guitar pedal board?

The Sequential Prophet-6 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

keepsake89

P6 with my guitar pedal board?

Post by keepsake89 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:46 am

I have the Strymon Mobius and Big Sky effect boxes, which are stereo effects.
I also have other pedals that are mono effects.

If I go mono out from P6 into the mono pedals but have the Strymon boxes last in the chain and go stereo out from them into my interface, am I able to utilize the internal stereo effects of the P6 (panning/modulation)?

Or must I go stereo out from P6 into Strymon boxes and not use the mono pedals?

Also, do I use TRS or TS cables?

blewis

Re: P6 with my guitar pedal board?

Post by blewis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:25 pm

keepsake89 wrote:I have the Strymon Mobius and Big Sky effect boxes, which are stereo effects.
I also have other pedals that are mono effects.
Awesome!
If I go mono out from P6 into the mono pedals but have the Strymon boxes last in the chain and go stereo out from them into my interface, am I able to utilize the internal stereo effects of the P6 (panning/modulation)?
Once you funnel the P6 into mono (by setting mono in the global section), it'll be mono from then on through your chain. The Strymon's stereo output can be generated with a mono or stereo input. They have different behavior based on the input, but if you have both outputs plugged in, you can hear the Strymon's effects in stereo (keep in mind that your mono input dry signal will still be mono)
Or must I go stereo out from P6 into Strymon boxes and not use the mono pedals?
Once you go mono anything before that point in your signal path, will remain mono.

You may want to consider a small Mackie mixer that lets you build a parallel effects chain. This would let you combine your stereo signal outside of the Prophet 6 somewhere specific in your chain.

There will still be some limits. For example if you have a mono phaser, you'll have to decide how much to mix in the mono phase sound _and_ how much you want the raw Prophet6 (unaffected) sound to be (which might be stereo panned). If you want a predominately phase tone, your signal will become more mono. But you'd still have that stereo part of the path there when the phaser isn't desired.

This will require some decisions and extra stuff.

Drawing a picture will help you.
Also, do I use TRS or TS cables?
TS