Pro12 Module or P6 for PADS, Textures, etcc..

The Sequential Prophet-6 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

elpiulas2015

Pro12 Module or P6 for PADS, Textures, etcc..

Post by elpiulas2015 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:36 pm

Hello, I am considering the P12 or the P6 primary for PADS and Textures, Ambient. I listened to a lot of Soundcloud & Youtube demos and I like the two synth a lot. The P6 sound more warm to me and I think it sound more vintage. The P12 sound a little different, in a positive way of course. May be less vintage. I listener to a lot of PADS on soundcloud made with the P12 and sounds very convincing but I did not found to much PADS created with the P6.

Of the P6 I like the Effects side an the layout. Of the P12 I like the more flexible mod matrix, 12 voices and in general more features.

I have to decide between the P12 Module or the P6. I live in Spain and here now this type of synths are very expensive and I would not be wrong in my decision.

Any advice is welcome.

Bye.

kimsnarf

Re: Pro12 Module or P6 for PADS, Textures, etcc..

Post by kimsnarf » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:32 pm

The P6 pads are warmer but simpler. They sound very nice when sweeping the filters, where the P12 can get a bit harsh. The P12 pads are more complex and dynamic. They can evolve quite a lot. There are twice as many voices on the P12, so you won't run out with long releases, unlike on the P6. Also, the P12 has two layers, so you can have a pulsating "beat" below the pad, or two pads on different cycles. More variety, more options. But the P6 is much easier to understand and program.

If you want the analog/vintage sound, the P6 is better. If that does not matter, or you prefer a more modern sound, the P12 is better. For ambient, I say P12. But that is only my opinion (I own both).

elpiulas2015

Post by elpiulas2015 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:18 pm

kimsnarf wrote:The P6 pads are warmer but simpler. They sound very nice when sweeping the filters, where the P12 can get a bit harsh. The P12 pads are more complex and dynamic. They can evolve quite a lot. There are twice as many voices on the P12, so you won't run out with long releases, unlike on the P6. Also, the P12 has two layers, so you can have a pulsating "beat" below the pad, or two pads on different cycles. More variety, more options. But the P6 is much easier to understand and program.

If you want the analog/vintage sound, the P6 is better. If that does not matter, or you prefer a more modern sound, the P12 is better. For ambient, I say P12. But that is only my opinion (I own both).
Thank for your reply. Do you own the P12 Module or Keyboard. Is the Module as easy to navigate as DSI says?

I actually own a Pro-2 and I don't know if the P12 sounds similar but with more polyphony or the P12 sounds very different. I want to say that for me the Pro2 sounds very analog and Fat.

And, related to the P6, how good are the effects (chorus, reverb, flanger). They really makes a good sound, better still?

II sell the Pro2 to buy the P12 . I will regret ? ... basically i need polyphony.

sorry but, so many doubts..

kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:41 pm

I own the P12 keyboard. The P6 and Pro2 share the low-pass filter, so they sound more analog than the P12. Do not expect the P12 to replace the Pro2 in sound. The Pro2, P12 and P6 all sound different. A P12 with the Pro2/P6 filter would be nice, but does not exist. And it might lose some of the edgy/clean sound of the P12, which can be used to great effect.

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:17 pm

I find pads and textures really benefit from the modulation you have with the P12 (and P'08 for that matter). The P6 has a great sound but the lack of modulation and lower polyphony limits it's usefulness as a pad machine. If you're making ambient music with long decays you will most likely encounter audible note stealing.

The chorus, phaser and delay effects on the P6 are very good and go some way to make up for the lack of extra LFOs when creating evolving sounds. The reverbs are ok but you'll want something like a Big Sky / Space pedal or Valhalla plugins for ambient.

In my opinion, the P12 would be better suited to your requirements than the P6. Pads were the thing I liked most on the P12.
Prophet'08 PE #3591 | Tetr4 #2088 | MEK PE #1180 | Jupiter 6 | Juno 60 | Moog Sub Phatty | MS-20 mini | random digital stuff