P6 or p12. opinions from those that have both

The Sequential Prophet-6 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

ilovesynth5

P6 or p12. opinions from those that have both

Post by ilovesynth5 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:36 am

I'm looking for opinions on the P6 or P12 from those of you that have both. i own the P12 and love it dearly but Im really digging the sounds and immediacy of the P6. if you had to keep one over the other which? and why?

kimsnarf

Re: P6 or p12. opinions from those that have both

Post by kimsnarf » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:25 am

I own both and I can't decide. :) They are both great. If you really like the P12, you will probably miss a lot on the P6. It is quite a different beast.

In my case, at first, going through the presets on the P6, I thought most sounds were too similar to the P12, just less complex/interesting. There's a lot of creativity in the P6 presets, but most are not immediately playable/usable (to me). However, some of the presets also demonstrate rich sounds that are just impossible on the P12.

Digging into the controls myself, the P6 is really a master at refinement. Subtle changes sound great. As an example, filter sweeps just outclass the P12. After a while, I'm just engulfed in beautiful sound that I can't get from digital/hybrid.

To me, as a novice to synthesis, the P12 is more hit-or-miss, quickly sounding harsh/too-much. Also, as a learning tool, the P6 interface is easier to navigate and experiment with. The presets are easier to break down and grasp, and the preview/sequencer function is useful in understanding the intent behind a preset.

But each time I play the P12 I'm amazed at the variation and quality of the available presets, both included and freely downloadable. There are so many great sounds which I have no idea how they created, but that immediately inspire me as a basis for a new composition (in which I'm also a novice). And I have learned how to tweak the sounds in many ways that really change their feel and dynamics. It is a treasure chest of powerful wizardry that I hope to understand better.

The two Prophets also sound great together. Typically, when I'm looking for a certain kind of sound/feel that I can't find/create on one, I can find/create it on the other. The P6 is subtle, rich, warm. The P12 is dynamic, energetic, unpredictable (in a good way). Playing them together, the P12 quickly overwhelms the P6, but dial the P12 back a bit and the P6 really shines with class and refinement.

uncle mark

Post by uncle mark » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:31 pm

I really like your description of the boards. It is exactly how I feel with my Poly Evolver which would be your Prophet 12 and my old Kurzweil K2000 which would be your Prophet 6. The Kurz and the P6 are quite different in their conception but similar in sound, at least to these ears. I think of them as "comfort synths". But, I only played the P6 for 15 minutes... and hope to hear more of it.

Matthiola

Post by Matthiola » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:25 pm

I owned a P12 for two years, eventually sold it. I now have a P6 and can confirm all of kimsnarf's observations. P6 is a joy to play and program, there are no hidden functions, what you see is what you get. In the first hour I already programmed 10 cool sounds. P12 is much more complex. Sound wise P6 is recognisable Dave Smith, punchy, brassy, bright, a bit clean, not dissimilar to P12. But maybe that's also the sound design team you're hearing. I find it easier to program the P6 with quicker and more satisfying results. To my ears P6 is more 'pure' than P12, less artifacts and noise, more body. It's not warm like my super JX, but it doesn't have an analog chorus either. Also, the P6 has a much better keyboard action and the whole package feels a bit more solid (mainly because of the action I think).

lime22

Post by lime22 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:49 am

ilovesynth5 wrote:I'm looking for opinions on the P6 or P12 from those of you that have both. i own the P12 and love it dearly but Im really digging the sounds and immediacy of the P6. if you had to keep one over the other which? and why?
The P12 and P6 are two different beasts, they are powerful tools and BOTH should be part of any serious musicians set-up. Seriously, there should be no question of 'this' or 'that' IMHO!

There is a learning curve with all synths, much of the success or failure boils down to the USER - the idiot or genius turning the knobs. More so with the P12, with many more options in terms of sound design / parameters, the boundaries with this tool are much wider than with the P6.

The P6 in terms of instant gratification is a gem, and a pleasure to use when dialling up new patches from scratch. The analog sound & nature is truly classic and always makes me smile. But remember the Prophet 6 is the Prophet 6, the prophet 6 is not the Prophet 5 [notwithstanding variance in sound between each of the P5 revisions]. So I enjoy and celebrate the P6 for its evolution, glorious analog sound / vintage feel and fun factor especially.

The P12 is more challenging for anyone with limited experience, but with enough knowledge & skill the P12 is very rewarding - get to know this tool and the possibilities are enormous. The P12 opens up territory and soundscapes the P6 [or any other Prophet] can't touch - for this reason the P12 is a classic.

In terms of build, the quality is very high standard on both. The keybed used in the P6 is far superior with better feel & action than the P12. However, would've preferred extra octave on that magnificent P6 :shock:

Conclusion: I will NEVER sell my P12 or my P6 - exploring the universe of sound just wouldn't be the same without them. Thanks Dave Smith & the Team, cheers muchly :!:
"Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time" - Voltaire.

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:44 pm

A serious solution:

1st go and buy the P6
2nd go working and enjoy in the meantime the P6
3rd Buy the P12
4th go working and enjoy in the meantime the P6 & P12
5th Buy the P2
That it ;)

You can switch step 3 & 5

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:35 pm

I don't own both, but I thoroughly compared the P6, the P08 and the P12 before buying.

To me the P6 is definitely the best sounding synth of all of them. There's a comparison of basic waveform sounds between the P08 and the P6 in a German muaic forum, and the difference is quite obvious. That said, the P08 and the P12 offer more ways of sound shaping, and are nice synths as well. But concerning basic sound character, I don't see a real challenge for the P6 among any of the DSI synths.