Poly chain Prophet 6 keyboards?

The Sequential Prophet-6 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

kimsnarf

Poly chain Prophet 6 keyboards?

Post by kimsnarf » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:08 pm

When announcing the Prophet 6 module, a new feature was introduced:
We’ve also added a poly chain feature so that any two Prophet-6s can be paired for twelve-voice polyphony!
Does this include the Prophet 6 keyboard? Can a keyboard poly chain to a module? Can two keyboards poly chain together?

cbmd

Re: Poly chain Prophet 6 keyboards?

Post by cbmd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:40 pm

yes, yes, and yes!
Carson Day
Technical Support
Dave Smith Instruments

kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:26 am

That is magnificent! Thank you for including the keyboard. So many interesting possibilities... 12 voices. Two-part multitimbral. Layers and splits. 98 keys organ-style. 8 octaves. :D

scottrod

Post by scottrod » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:13 pm

kimsnarf wrote:So many interesting possibilities... 12 voices. Two-part multitimbral. Layers and splits.
Is that really how it works?

Does poly chaining disable the front panel functions of the slave unit?

If you're running poly chain and wanting to do a layer or split, it would seem that key assignment would get AFU as to which patch is supposed to sound when. For layers and splits, that sounds like running the second synth on a different midi channel. You would go back into the Global menu and set the system to non-poly chained operation, then use them as independent units on different (or the same) midi channels.

I'm considering a module to go with my keyboard but would like to understand what I'm getting in poly chain before plunking down a couple grand more. The manual addendum doesn't provide much user detail, just how to make it happen.

Can someone with experience describe how poly chaining works in practice?
Prophet 6 Keyboard - s/n 03370

Martin3

Post by Martin3 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:02 am

Hi all,

only have experience with polychain from the evolver but i guess it still works that way. You activate it in Prophet 6 and it sends the 7-12 note to the connected key or module before cutting voice 1. It is helpfull to have the same programs on all units because the main one will send only the adjustments to the chained one so first panel overrides the other. In case of Layering turn of poly to trigger 1 voice from each unit with one keypress and tweak them on each unit seperately.

Hope this helps,

Martin3