How to integrate in DAW / partial Local Ctrl

The Sequential Prophet-6 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

solitud100

How to integrate in DAW / partial Local Ctrl

Post by solitud100 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:48 pm

Hey everybody, I am the proud owner of a new Prophet 6.
The synth is a joy to play, but when I disable *Local Ctrl* to integrate the synth in my DAW, Logic 10.2.0, I experience some problems.

The function to enable/disable the *Effects* section works unreliable.
The light on the effect *On/Off* button light up, but the effect is not enabled every time.
The display besides the *Mix* knob does not show useful info when twisting the *Mix* knob, the display "flickers".
It does not matter if I am using MIDI or USB.
I send data as NRPN because when I switch to CC it seems that only basic parameters like cutoff are transmitted.
I see similar issues with knobs in the LFO section too, but it is hard to replicate.

What I would love to see in a future update would be a partial *Local Ctrl* mode, where just the keyboard is detached from the synth, but the knobs and buttons are still "local on". Moog Voyager and Access Virus have this and it helps a lot to workaround MIDI issues I am experiencing ...

How do you people integrate your P6 in your DAW, any tips?

solitud100

Re: How to integrate in DAW / partial Local Ctrl

Post by solitud100 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:02 pm

P.S.:
I am also using Bitwig Studio. Since MIDI program change is poorly integrated into Bitwig, it seems to be impossible to switch presets on the P6 when in *local off* mode. :roll:
Really hoping for this partial Local Ctrl to appear ...

mangobob

Post by mangobob » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:00 am

Sounds like a great enhancement. I want to be able to control the Prophet-6 via internal sequencer then use the keyboard to play external MIDI module.

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Yes! The kind of partial "local off" mode you describe is something I would like to see on all DSI keyboard synths.

The panel controls on all the Prophets are so unique to those instruments that I doubt there are many people using them as master controllers for external or soft synths. They do, however have good keyboards. I use my P'08 as my master keyboard but I never use the panel controls or send program change messages to external instruments. The widespread use of NRPN values means that even routing the messages back to the Prophet is unreliable given how DAWs have a habit of messing with or filtering those messages. As a result I'm constantly switching between local on and off.

As solitud100 says, a number of other synths keep the panel controls "live" while local off only disconnects the keyboard, mod and pitch wheels. It really does make such a huge difference in studio workflow.
Prophet'08 PE #3591 | Tetr4 #2088 | MEK PE #1180 | Jupiter 6 | Juno 60 | Moog Sub Phatty | MS-20 mini | random digital stuff

solitud100

Post by solitud100 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:04 pm

Fuseball wrote:Yes! The kind of partial "local off" mode you describe is something I would like to see on all DSI keyboard synths.
While I would love to see that I can understand that they won't introduce new features to the OS.
But they should fix bugs in the existing OS. That is the response of display and knobs in Local off mode as explained.

It also might be that my P6 is faulty, because it seems that nobody else has issues??

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:57 pm

solitud100 wrote:But they should fix bugs in the existing OS. That is the response of display and knobs in Local off mode as explained.

It also might be that my P6 is faulty, because it seems that nobody else has issues??
I will try it with Logic when I get some time tomorrow, to see if it does the same thing here.
Prophet'08 PE #3591 | Tetr4 #2088 | MEK PE #1180 | Jupiter 6 | Juno 60 | Moog Sub Phatty | MS-20 mini | random digital stuff

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:52 pm

solitud100 wrote:It also might be that my P6 is faulty, because it seems that nobody else has issues??
My P6 displays exactly the same behaviour as yours does when local control is 'off' and the NRPN control data is routed back to the synth within Logic. Effects on/off is erratic and the displays flicker when adjusting Mix and oscillator frequency.

For comparison, a similar arrangement in Live 9 is completely unusable. A large number of controls don't function at all! In this instance I believe it's down to Live's poor implementation of NRPN data.

I would find this infuriating if the P6 was being used as my main controller keyboard.

htfngrs

Post by htfngrs » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Mine as well -

From Carson at their support team:

Concerning the FX screen, this is a known issue and is due to the Prophet 6's screens being refreshed with the program and FX names when the synth receives external controller data. Nothing is physically wrong with your synth in this regard. The issue is on our bug list and should be fixed in an upcoming OS version.