Filtering external audio with ableton

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

vote46

Filtering external audio with ableton

Post by vote46 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:27 pm

Hi,
I would like to know how can I use the filters of the pro-2 to process an ableton audio track? I'm using a fireface 800 as interface and did not find any tutorial about this, hope someone could help me!

nielsd

Re: Filtering external audio with ableton

Post by nielsd » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:12 am

Sorry, i'm not a ableton user, i'm using Pro Tools and Studio One Pro in a similiar constellation.

If i remember correctly, Ableton allows too integrating "external hardware effects" on a simple way (i.e. as "insert"), after you set it up once - see i.e.:
http://blog.dubspot.com/how-to-route-ex ... o-effects/

A way which works with any DAW is:
- You have to feed a mono channel onto an output of your audio interface connected to the Pro 2 audio input jack and
- "record" Pro 2s audio out (mono or stereo) onto another track.
- If you need MIDI on the Pro 2 you have to add a MIDI track, connected to the Pro 2 as well.

You should take a view onto delay compensation if required.

This way you did not have to replug anything if you want to use the Pro 2 as a synth / instrument.

This general way is a bit messy, so most DAWs offer different ways to easier integrate external effects hardware (which is your Pro 2) as "Inserts" or "external hardware" - or in Studio One over the "pipeline" plugin / "effect" which allows to connect external hardware i/o with delay compensation. As a result you can put your Pro 2 as an "insert" onto a track just by few clicks, as you do with and know from any software plugin.

hth a bit...

Niels.
Last edited by nielsd on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niels Dettenbach
dettenbach audio
music fab
http://dettenbach.de

vote46

Re: Filtering external audio with ableton

Post by vote46 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:28 pm

Thank you for your answer Niels, very helpful it works now. :D
Ben