Soundtower Editor

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

georgiemd

Soundtower Editor

Post by georgiemd » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:02 am

Hi,

my first post on here. Looking forward to sharing user experiences.

This piece of software looks incredibly promising but before I outlay the 69 Dollars for it I'd like to hear from anyone who has it. Can it do (bug free) what it claims it can? The ability to copy - paste sequencer tracks to other tracks and the sound generator (morphing / mixing) menu seem incredible features. I find the sequencer (stand alone) great but being able to copy paste modulation and or note info from other tracks would really put this thing up there with the flexibility of the Elektron gear.

http://www.soundtower.com/pro2/index.html

ps. I have the demo installed but it is so incredibly dumbed down the only thing one can do is establish midi connect and change a patch. Transmitting any modulation change from the software to the P2 has been disabled. Why even bother offering a demo if that's all it will allow you to do?

//George

nielsd

Re: Soundtower Editor

Post by nielsd » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:19 am

Hi George,

i have the SoundTower Editor and the VST Plugin (Mac OS) for the DSI Evolver plus the DSI Pro 2 Editor.

I asked SoundTower if they will publish an VST / plugin version too for the Pro 2 - they replied they had it still in development and will publish it next too. The VST version is nice because it allows VST automation and preset saving within your DAW project. I hope they will offer and "Upgrade" option as for the other synth versions to add the VST version for a lower price if you still have the standalone.

I very like the software - even if the older Evolver and the "fresher" Pro 2 version still has some things which could get improved (i.e. further library functions / workflow optimizations). The price is OK for what you get i think - the market is not very big and they have to invest time to get out such a product. I tried other products available, but they don't fit my expectations (and was unstable in my case). The Desktop evolver is not very intuitive to use - so the SoundTower editor for it is like a "must". The support is good to very good - you get direct answers from the developers in many cases i experienced so far. If you did not have the money for the editor, you usually did not have the money for the synth ß)

The standalone software offers very a helpful library and patch management plus randomizer and morphing functions which alone are worth the price to me. I.e. if you look for a bass sound in your library just transfer all bass sounds you have in the library at once to a bank or so.

SoundTower had a problem with the Pro 2 version until this year, because DSI had to fix some bugs and does changes in their MIDI implementation - so you have to use the last version of the software and Pro 3 firmware to get the most out.

It would be nice to get a editor software for my DSI Tempest too - but i think the differences in workflows to the typical synths which SoundTower implements editors for are to big.

This is just my experience. I did not tried the iOS / iPad versions sound tower offers for some of the synths. For what i know, the software is still maintained and further developed (which is not the case for some other solutions on the market there), but some improvements could take years until they get into the software (if so). The developers put their focus on features and flexible workflows - intuitively is not the prime goal i assume - you have to spend some hours to get anything out of the software - but this is acceptable for a synth which takes time to get out the most of it too... ß)

best regards,

Niels.
Niels Dettenbach
dettenbach audio
music fab
http://dettenbach.de

georgiemd

Post by georgiemd » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi Niels,

thanks so much for the in depth and informative reply. Much appreciated.

I have written Soundtower and they replied telling me the VST version has been delayed due to developments for Namm but it should be up soon and owners of the standalone editor will be eligible for a discounted version of it.

I myself do not own a Pro 2 but I have had my eye on one for quite a while now. I have one on loan from a friend who is thinking of selling his. I am falling in love with this beast. I do not dare go completely modular due to financial restrictions but the Pro 2 gives me so much flexibility in sound design that I can see myself investing years exploring it's sonic capacity. Before I discovered this software I had 1 main reservations in terms of sound design potential. I could not seem to find a way to copy and paste patterns (be they notes or modulation parameters) from one sound to another. That to me was such a disappointment. Particularly after working with the Elektron Analog Four where such a thing is standard. The stand alone editor addresses this and seems to do it very well indeed (if it can do what it claims it can). The sound generator looks amazing!

nielsd

Post by nielsd » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:38 pm

Im not sure if i understand you, but in DSI machines i know sequences are "copied" by just use one sequence with another presst by disabling overwrite sequences when switching to another preset. The editor allows many further copy / paste functions which are not shown as buttons, but documented in the manual (it is wise to read soundtowers and DSIs manuals).

With my zoo in DSI synths plus self build shruti plus a Virus TI2 i'm "complete" with analog synth hardware - i'm not in the current modular hype because they are to unflexible to me from a musical view. If i find or build any oscillator or filter byself i would drive and use them on my Pro 2 CVs but just for fun. For me the modular scene is a huge but short hype actually where many greenhorns are hopping in today - but nice for the small companies which get some cashflow in to build new synths in the future... ß)

If you have a pro 2 you could experiment "easily" with CV stuff / modules if you get some in your hand - but it is a far more useful workhorse...ß)
Niels Dettenbach
dettenbach audio
music fab

georgiemd

Post by georgiemd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:33 pm

Thanks for the reply Niels.

I am not a great manual reader but I have in fact read this one and could not see any reference to what you are referring to concerning "disabling overwrite sequencer" when changing patches. As far as I understand (I also has a friend who has a P2) this is not possible with out user the external editor software.... I hope I am wrong here.

What page number in the manual refers to this? Or even better can you describe the process please?

Sorry to be so hands on but I would really like to unlock the value of this sequencer by being able to switch patches independently of the sequencer (without having to use the software).

thanks again

nielsd

Post by nielsd » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:01 pm

I mean "at least" the SoundTower Editor is able to do such a job.

On the DSI evolver it is one of the "main" functions to lock the current sequence while loading different patches - this is (for me) like "copying" (you have to save the sequence to the new patch if you mean a real "copy").

I assume that the Pro 2 (which firmware is still under some devlopment / improvement and the Pro 2 manual is still not actual /from what i know) will get a similiar option by any button comb or similiar in the future - but i do not need it urgently because i mainly use the soundtower editor(s) when fiddeling around with sequences over different patches on my Evolver and Pro 2.

Will view again onto it in more detail when back at my synth workstation - remember not enough any detail of the slightly different ST editor implementations of both synths here.

Sorry for any confusion from my side...
Niels Dettenbach
dettenbach audio
music fab

georgiemd

Post by georgiemd » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:09 am

No need to apologise at all Niels. I think I will get the editor anyway and start messing around with it.

Thanks for your input. If it wasn't for you I would be sitting here in silence.