Pro2 sequencer - play along with sequence

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Sofine

Pro2 sequencer - play along with sequence

Post by Sofine » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi folks,

So I've been trying to decide between a Pro2, P6 and P12 and I'm 99% convinced to go with the Pro2 having now demo'd all 3. The Pro2 was a real sleeper for me, can't believe how good it sounds and how powerful it is.

I was convinced until today to go for the P6, but I have a Juno 106 (with Kiwi mod) to keep my poly needs at bay for the moment.

Of course, I'm going to wait until NAMM to see what DSI are releasing before I buy, but unless its something amazing, I'll get the PRo2.

Anyway, to my question (sorry!) - while I Was demoing the Pro2, I couldn't find a way to sequence 1 ,2 or 3 of the oscs and leave 1 available for me to play over the sequencer line. I know I can send a midi seq to an exrternak synth and play along that way, but it would be nice to be able to do this all in the 1 box. Am I missing something or is this a current limitation - and if so, has there been any indication that this is on the roadmap?

Thanks guys

Simon

HESpook

Re: Pro2 sequencer - play along with sequence

Post by HESpook » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:33 am

I don't own a Pro 2 (yet) but it's not possible as far as I know.

It might be possible to do this by putting Pro 2 in paraphonic mode and then use 3 tracks to send MIDI notes out but route those right back to the MIDI in on the Pro 2. Track 1 can't be used when doing this. This should leave one oscillator free for manual control. :)

It's quite a workaround (still not 100% sure it works) and you might run into issues with Midi CC being sent back if you aren't careful. You'll also have 3 fewer tracks than usual to play with and obviously one MIDI out and the MIDI in will be occupied (although a MIDI merger can fix that, sort of).

Sofine

Post by Sofine » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:57 am

Good ideas, thanks.

Apparantly, DSi are going to give the PRO2 some attention soon, so maybe they will look at this, among other requests.

Unrequested ramblings: I spent a few hours trying the 6, 12 and Pro 2 at the weekend. The Pro2 came out my favourite. The 12 is too advanced for me, the 6 has a lovely sweet spot, sounds great, but is much more limited compared to the pro2. It also doesn't give me teh vintage goosebumps that my Juno 106 (Kiwi mod) gives me, so I think I'll hold onto my Juno and get the Pro2 - though I will be waiting to see what announcements DSI makes at NAMM!

Cheers!

nielsd

Post by nielsd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:50 pm

The Pro 2 is my favorite together with my DSI Evolver and Tempest which i use as polysynth too. My feeling is the Seq Prophet 6 is mainly for vintage enthusiasts where flexibility is second, the Tempest allows poly full analog plus hybrid and the Evolver offers DCOs plus digital ones with user waveshapes. These give me a huge range of flexibility - the 6 vor 12 are not required because anything i can do with the others.

Beside my DSI childgarden i just have a Access Virus as a multi sound pool and a seit build open hardware shruti-1 with a 4PM filter board which will get further CV in/out to connect to the Pro 2 or Tempest and delivers dynamic 8bit sounds.

The Prophet 6 and the Pro 12 are for guys which want "typical standard" poly sounds in my opinion - flexibility is primarily for me in the same level as sound.
Niels Dettenbach
dettenbach audio
music fab
http://dettenbach.de