Has anyone used the Pro 2 as a guitar/drum FX processor?

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

DryBeat_72

Has anyone used the Pro 2 as a guitar/drum FX processor?

Post by DryBeat_72 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:19 am

Hiya all newbie here, I’ve Just ordered my first synth being a DSI Pro 2 and should hopefully arrive in a couple of weeks. I purchased this mainly because of its many features and capabilities :D
I play some keys but mainly guitar and drums and was recently hit by the synth bug being fascinated with the synth sounds and waveforms, hence my purchase of this superb instrument. I witness in one of the Dave Smith demo videos there was a guitar plugged in through it. So my question is has anyone tried using the FX/sequencer/arpeggiator on a DSI Pro 2 with a guitar plugged in through it using valve type combo, or in that fact a digital drum kit aka Roland TD12 :?:

I’ve also posted this on another forum also to hopefully get some more knowledge as there is little to nothing on the Webz I could find on this particular subject.
Cheers 8)

nielsd

Re: Has anyone used the Pro 2 as a guitar/drum FX processor?

Post by nielsd » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:32 am

I have used the DSI evolver this way and will try to set up this on my Pro 2 next days asap.

There are different ways to use these synths with a Guitar - the Guitar signal is just used as a mod source (envelopes, level) or as a sound source byself (instead or beside the oscillators) - means you can do "anything" as with the oscillator signals. Tanking a look at the circuit block scheme of the synths was very helpful to me.

In my setup i do not use the guitar directly on the input - i fed the input with some kind of line level (i.e. from the send/return on a marshall amp or effect system like an AVID 11R) or within a DAW I/O setup. Same way it should be possible to use your groovebox line out on the line in of the Pro 2. Pluggin in the Guitar directly to the synth's IN should be give not enough signal level i think (it is not a typical guit "stompbox").

Will check how far i get with the Pro 2 now in such a setup. My first short check some days ago just brought a very small signal level at the output, but i assume that i did something wrong to get the audio on the right level there.

hth a bit - will come back next days...
Niels Dettenbach
dettenbach audio
music fab
http://dettenbach.de

Trevor Refix

Post by Trevor Refix » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:25 am

I've use the Pro 2 to process a lot of things - guitar, bass guitar, one shot samples, other synths... it's freakin great for this!

I don't play guitar into the Pro 2 btw - I record the guitar (or whatever) clean and then pipe it back in from my DAW so I have both hands free for tweeking. You can some crazy sounds using the LFO's and delays. the Pro 2 distortion sounds really great on a clean guitar too. I really like assigning the distortion to envelope 4 and having it ramp in and out over time - kind of like an expression pedal for fuzz.

My other favorite thing right now is making "dirty tops" for my bass guitar lines by re amping the original through the Pro 2 and then layering the original clean with the new pro 2 version.

have fun!
https://soundcloud.com/textureandlight [electronic dream rock band]
https://soundcloud.com/trevorrefixmervyn [hardware based solo adventures]

nielsd

Post by nielsd » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:28 am

I prefer "reamping" too - recording the pro 2 as effect on a (aux) bus or run it as a external effect on a track. This allows me to choose the right gain / gain staging etc.. To have my synths available a effects in Pro Tools i use a pair of similiar input and output channels of the audio interface which Pro Tools requires if you want to use external effects like Software effects on a track insert. With MIDI the hardware could be "automated" where required.

On Studio One i use the Pipeline object with templates for each synths - the i/o routing is independent in S1.

As such an external effect you can use it even while playing, but with the usual DAW buffer delay. If i would play live with it i would use any preamp or any active stomp effect with volume/gain before the Pro 2 to lift and fit the signal , but it should work with direct plugin to in the pro2 if i read the specs correctly. Try what fit your needs at best...
Niels Dettenbach
dettenbach audio
music fab
http://dettenbach.de

uniqueuserid

Post by uniqueuserid » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:59 am

I have just had a real go at using my pro 2 as an effects box using send from my mixer to the input. Now ive been on the hunt for the perfect delay pedal for some time now and ive bought and sold quite a few. I ran a simple melody through the pro2 and realized this is the delay ive always been looking for! So i have

4 delay lines with great control
Distortion (the distortion on what i was sending in was really nice)
Tuned feedback
Two filters
3 envelopes
4 lfos that can go lots of places
The character fx
Modulation matrix

That's a serious delay unit! I cant believe i didnt do this earlier. Its permanently staying as part of my mixers fx send. This has been my favourite bit of gear since i bought it but its seriously gone up a notch. Its a serious fx unit on its own!!