Sequencing External Hardware

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Blackbelt Jones

Sequencing External Hardware

Post by Blackbelt Jones » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:14 pm

Pre-Sales Question... I run an all hardware setup and I don't know how I slept on this synth.

I understand it can have up to 16 sequencer tracks; the first hardwired to the pitch of internal oscillators and the rest assignable.

Basic question... can I sequence an external synth (say a Minitaur either via MIDI or CV) on one (or more) of the tracks while having the remaining tracks sequencing the internal Pro 2 engine?

Many thanks.

Blackbelt Jones

Re: Sequencing External Hardware

Post by Blackbelt Jones » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:29 am

Sorry, one more sequencer related pre sales question...

I assume the ability to record a paraphonic chord in to the sequencer has NOT been implemented yet, correct?

I have seen it mentioned on their "to do" list, but unless I missed something it has not been "done" yet... do I have that right?

Thanks!

natrixgli

Post by natrixgli » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:18 am

I wouldn't buy the Pro 2 for the sequencer. It's not very well implemented in my opinion. The elektron analog keys is tons more well thought out and lots more fun to use. That's not to say it isn't fun, but not really a key selling point. The voice, on the other hand will melt your face.

To answer your question, the sequencer is monophonic, though if you have the patience, you could program oscillator pitch manually on other tracks. And there's no MIDI sequencing, CV isn't perfect.

Blackbelt Jones

Post by Blackbelt Jones » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:56 am

Thx for confirming. I was planning to use the Pro 2 sequencer internally.... but I did want to level set myself as to what it can / can not do. Benefits of buying a synth after it has been in the wild for a year +. I have read a lot of the complaints about the CV side of the sequencer both here and @ GS, but for running the internal synth engine the sequencer looks pretty impressive to me.

The AK and AR are the centerpieces of my setup... as great as they are, there is something to be said for dedicated knobs (especially on a synth that sounds this good). Should compliment the Elektrons nicely.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:58 am

The Pro2 does sequence via midi, tracks 2 - 16 can be used for this.

Each track is mono and as far as I know only notes are supported.

What are the problems you have heard about for CV sequencing?

Blackbelt Jones

Post by Blackbelt Jones » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:05 pm

That's fantastic news regarding midi out! Might be fun to drive a Bass Station II. I know you can use the keyboard for note entry on the internal synth engine, but for an external midi track is it manual entry for notes via the screen or can I enter them in using the Pro 2 keyboard? If so I assume I would also be able to hear the notes on the external synth being triggered as I use the Pro2 KB.

Regarding CV, when I plowed through the massive Gearslutz Pro 2 thread I read comments about middle c sending 5v by default (though I understand there is a workaround for this), using values instead of notes for pitch, and general resolution and scaling limitations preventing accurate tracking.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:18 pm

Unfortunately as far as I know you can only enter the notes onto tracks 2-16 using the knobs. Hopefully they will change this.

The Pro2 outputs 0V-10V for a 10 octave range.

There is really no standard for V/Octave voltages in the CV world for tuning OSCs, some may be 0V to 10V, some -15V to +15V, some -5V to +5V, or any other range.

The Pro2 allows you to offset the voltage and also to "tune" the voltage. With most modular OSCs this is enough to get the full range 10 octave range.

This will not help you with synths that have a set in stone negative to positive range as the P2 can only output positive voltages.

With modular systems people have had to deal with this sort of thing. Most OSCs have a very course tuning so you can get the 10 octave range from them. For others that can't be tuned correctly for the range you would use an offset/attenuator module, these modules allow you to alter voltage ranges and scaling. so you can use them to map 0V to 10V to -5V to5V, or maybe 0V to 10V to -15V to +15.

On Geasrlutz (and here) you get people that really don't know too much about these sort of things (even though they are experts in their eyes) and they will moan that Synth X doesn't work with the P2 and therefore it is the P2s fault. They tend at the beginning to not know about using a DC offset and then move towards issues with the tuning range. The issue really is with the synth they are using, if that synth only works well with a negative voltage for tuning then really it is the synths fault as there is no real standard apart from 1V = 1Octave.

Blackbelt Jones

Post by Blackbelt Jones » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:58 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply Bob! Very informative.

hlzdnb

Post by hlzdnb » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:33 pm

BobTheDog wrote:Unfortunately as far as I know you can only enter the notes onto tracks 2-16 using the knobs. Hopefully they will change this.

The Pro2 outputs 0V-10V for a 10 octave range.

There is really no standard for V/Octave voltages in the CV world for tuning OSCs, some may be 0V to 10V, some -15V to +15V, some -5V to +5V, or any other range.

The Pro2 allows you to offset the voltage and also to "tune" the voltage. With most modular OSCs this is enough to get the full range 10 octave range.

This will not help you with synths that have a set in stone negative to positive range as the P2 can only output positive voltages.

With modular systems people have had to deal with this sort of thing. Most OSCs have a very course tuning so you can get the 10 octave range from them. For others that can't be tuned correctly for the range you would use an offset/attenuator module, these modules allow you to alter voltage ranges and scaling. so you can use them to map 0V to 10V to -5V to5V, or maybe 0V to 10V to -15V to +15.

On Geasrlutz (and here) you get people that really don't know too much about these sort of things (even though they are experts in their eyes) and they will moan that Synth X doesn't work with the P2 and therefore it is the P2s fault. They tend at the beginning to not know about using a DC offset and then move towards issues with the tuning range. The issue really is with the synth they are using, if that synth only works well with a negative voltage for tuning then really it is the synths fault as there is no real standard apart from 1V = 1Octave.
Not true regarding the notes writing. Now you can record a sequence and copy from track 1 and past it to tracks 2-16 , so you use track one , let's say, as a melody generator. the main problem (at least for me) is that you cannot transpose the sequences connected to external gear.Quite confident than next update will implement this tho

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:16 pm

What's not true?