New Pro 2 - Distortion on Headphones [synth replaced - closed]

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Beatmaster

New Pro 2 - Distortion on Headphones [synth replaced - closed]

Post by Beatmaster » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi all,

i am a "happy" New owner of a Pro 2. Just picked it up in the store. When i was unpacking it, one screw was not tightend at the bottom, another was missing. The package seemed sealed and new. The Synth makes a squeaking noise when i lift it up on one side ( not the audio output .. the defice itself ) ...
I switched it on, i is a great synth.. but when i go over 40% volume on the volume knob it distorts everything, the selected sound does not matter.
I have tested it with 2 different good working headphones ( Beyerdynamics 880 and 770 pro ). The line outs dont have this distortion.

I think my synth is faulty .. or do you have this distortions aswell?

Greetings Markus
Last edited by Beatmaster on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glynbo

Re: New Pro 2 - Distortion on Headphones

Post by glynbo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi Beatmaster, just plugged my Iphone headphones in and got up to 50% volume, no distortion but to loud to go any higher.Pretty sure it should not have arrived in that state or sound as bad as you say :( . Cheers Glyn.

natrixgli

Post by natrixgli » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:08 am

On my first Pro 2, I'd get a nasty digital sounding distortion the first time I switched it on after plugging it in. After powering off and on again, it would go away until the next time I unplugged it. Did you turn it off and on again?

Beatmaster

Post by Beatmaster » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:07 pm

No it was no digital distortion. But i tried switching it on / off etc.
I went to the dealer today and returned it for a new one, which is awesome and works perfect!
Thanks for your feedback and testing! I guess i just had a faulty one. Strange that something like that leaves the factory, .. with loose / missing screws etc.