Adding VCO's to the Pro2

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

sbookholt

Adding VCO's to the Pro2

Post by sbookholt » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:37 pm

Recorded a small vid today showing how you can extend the pro2 with vco's with the mfb osc3 eurorack module.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L0MTS8w_WA

elmquist

Re: Adding VCO's to the Pro2

Post by elmquist » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Hey that was a great demo. It really sounds good with all three analog oscillators in action. And you combined with digital oscillators, thanks!

One thing I would love to see at some point is how using all analog and all digital oscillators actually sounds. Such as with super waves on the digital oscillators and using pulse width modulation on the analog oscillators. Could be a good source of nasty basses complete with drive and tuned feedback and using the analog delays as chorus.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:05 pm

sbookholt wrote:Recorded a small vid today showing how you can extend the pro2 with vco's with the mfb osc3 eurorack module.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L0MTS8w_WA
Cool stuff! Thanks for the video.

sbookholt

Post by sbookholt » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:17 am

elmquist wrote:Hey that was a great demo. It really sounds good with all three analog oscillators in action. And you combined with digital oscillators, thanks!

One thing I would love to see at some point is how using all analog and all digital oscillators actually sounds. Such as with super waves on the digital oscillators and using pulse width modulation on the analog oscillators. Could be a good source of nasty basses complete with drive and tuned feedback and using the analog delays as chorus.
Cheers guys. Thats a good idea, i'll post a soundcloud link with that later...

Post by 154 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:03 am

Sorry for being a bit of a n00b as far as CV/Gate and the Pro 2 are concerned, grew up on midi, but this kind of ticked all the right boxes...

Is it possible to hook up 4 VCO's to the Pro2 and make them follow the Pro2's own oscilators, even when playing paraphonically? In a way you would then just add VCO's to the list of the Pro 2, but externally.

If it is possible you would need at least 4 VCO's, a mixer and a case and powersupply, right? And what would also be recommended to add at this point of the signal-chain?

Sorry, many questions, but like I said I'm fairly new to this and a bit overexcited at this point :)
Prairidoggin'

elmquist

Post by elmquist » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:50 am

sbookholt wrote:Cheers guys. Thats a good idea, i'll post a soundcloud link with that later...
Thanks a lot. By the way my current system does not play soundcloud tracks very well so I would be happy if you marked the track as downloadable as that would work for me.

sbookholt

Post by sbookholt » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:34 pm

154 wrote:Sorry for being a bit of a n00b as far as CV/Gate and the Pro 2 are concerned, grew up on midi, but this kind of ticked all the right boxes...

Is it possible to hook up 4 VCO's to the Pro2 and make them follow the Pro2's own oscilators, even when playing paraphonically? In a way you would then just add VCO's to the list of the Pro 2, but externally.

If it is possible you would need at least 4 VCO's, a mixer and a case and powersupply, right? And what would also be recommended to add at this point of the signal-chain?

Sorry, many questions, but like I said I'm fairly new to this and a bit overexcited at this point :)
It's not difficult to add 4 vco's and let them track the keys played on the pro2, but paraphonic would be quite difficult. The pro2 does not send a different cv when a second/third/fourth key is pressed. Maybe with a sequential switcher like this http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/doepfe ... witch.html you can switch the notes to a different osc on every keypress, but I've never tried that.

Cases often come with a power supply built in, like the doepfer lowcost case or pittsburgh cell cases. But yeah, 4 vco's and a mixer, or something like this: http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/doepfe ... o-vco.html It has 4 vco's and mixer built in

Post by 154 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:50 pm

Best would be if you could get the diff oscs to be able to send out their assigned note value so the vco's would just follow the oscs regardless of where the input is coming from. Osc1 note value to cv1, osc 2 note value to cv2 etc. But again, I'm totally new to this.
Prairidoggin'

sbookholt

Post by sbookholt » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:57 pm

Yes that could do the trick but there is no mod source for osc note value AFAIK. You could run 4 sequencer tracks though, each assigned to a cv track.

I'd like to add some more modules later on like MI clouds (granular fx with reverb), wasp filter, morphing terrarium. Combining everything to taste is lots of fun. So many innovative modules in eurorack land

Post by 154 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Voice note value as a source for cv with an identifier per voice. This way all types of voice rotation would be synced to the cv out and ext oscs. To be able to use real vcos(or any diff type of diff osc) with the Pro 2 at that level would be totally amazing.

Does DSI have a standard way of dealing with feature requests?
Prairidoggin'

Post by 154 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:41 am

* If the synth is in paraphonic mode, I'd like to use the synth's note poly engine to poly control externals synths - i.e. route each OSC's pitch/note number to a different CV output.

From the feature request thread, never mind :)
Prairidoggin'

blewis

Post by blewis » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:45 am

What's the cheapest/smallest/good quality case and power supply for this module? Is there a "go to" easy answer?

Thanks for the vid and specific idea and sharing!

sbookholt

Post by sbookholt » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:30 am

I think the doepfer a-100mc. It's about €85,-, power supply included.
The osc-3 module is 21hp, meaning you still have 11 hp for an additional module, so you could add a wasp filter for instance. Have a look at https://www.modulargrid.net/, it has all the modules and you can drag/drop them in the minicase to see what fits.

I went with the pittsburgh cell, they also come in 48hp. It looks nice, can make 2 rows with the double wooden sides, better power supply, but more expensive

sbookholt

Post by sbookholt » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:59 am

154 wrote:* If the synth is in paraphonic mode, I'd like to use the synth's note poly engine to poly control externals synths - i.e. route each OSC's pitch/note number to a different CV output.

From the feature request thread, never mind :)
Just thought about this again, but you can do 4 voice paraphonic with this:
http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/yarns
Then you still have all the cv in/outputs left for modulation.