Pro 2 CV control over Erebus

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

ihearanewworld

Pro 2 CV control over Erebus

Post by ihearanewworld » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:43 pm

I am attempting to control both OSC on the Dreadbox Erebus using the CV outs on the Pro 2. The Erebus has CV ins labeled "Gate", "OSC1", "OSC2" and "CV" (in addition to other modulation destinations). "CV" controls both oscillators, so I have Pro 2 CV1 out to CV in on the Erebus, Gate out on the Pro 2 into Gate in on the Erebus.

To get the Pro 2 in tune with the Erebus, I set a Mod Source as "Note Number" and the destination as "CV out 1" with a value of 127, and then a Mod Source as "DC" and the destination as "CV out 1" with a value of -54.

The Erebus is in tune with the Pro 2 over a very short distance, getting more out of tune the higher up the scale I go. When I connect via MIDI, it stays in tune over a much greater range. In addition, I have to set the OSC2 detune on the Erebus in a really wonky position when controlled by CV (as compared to when I use MIDI).

If anyone can help me sort this out, I would greatly appreciate it.

-----------
UPDATE:
OK, I just went into Global Parameters and messed around with "CV 1 out scale". I am getting better tracking with that value set to about -48, and changing the DC offset to -50. Still, tracking not nearly as good as it is when controlled by MIDI, and OSC2 on the Erebus is still going out of tune more quickly than OSC1.

Is this just a limitation of CV, or is there some sort of voltage communication error between the two machines? Previously, I have only used the CV on the Pro 2 to pass envelopes and LFOs around, and found that fairly intuitive.

I read the portion of the Pro 2 manual that deals with CV. The OSC CV in on the Erebus is "best operated at 1v/ocv, Max +/-12v".

dcdcdcdc

Re: Pro 2 CV control over Erebus

Post by dcdcdcdc » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:05 pm

The cv scaling setting have been a little problematic. . . might be ok on new os's, but I would not use if you're on 1.1 or earlier.

So, recommend taking that scaling setting out, and just messing with the DC offset. Usually -48 works in the situation that you're talking about-- it works dramatically better than -50 on every synth I've driven with pro2.

Start with the detune at zero on the erebus w/unison on to make sure no issue with the erebus.

Two other things you could do to figure out where your issue is are

1)set up separate cv outs to both of the erebus oscs-- that's the only way it should work "properly" in paraphonic mode

2)route erebus cv1 out to cv2 in, to make sure osc 2 is tracking osc 1 properly

ihearanewworld

Post by ihearanewworld » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:37 pm

Thanks dcdcdcdc.

dcdcdcdc

Post by dcdcdcdc » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:32 am

So is it working?

Erebus seems like an intriguing partner for Pro2.

Also meant to repost this again here before:

https://davesmithinstruments.zendesk.co ... -Explained