Starting a small modular

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

glynbo

Re: Starting a small modular

Post by glynbo » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:25 pm

sbookholt wrote:Got the case and mfb osc-3 today. I can confirm it works perfectly plugging it into the pro2 cv's and audio ins. The pro2 has a built-in attenuater, the eurorack levels can easily be matched to the inner voice.

I think it's highly recommended. For 229,- (plus a case) you can extend your pro2 with the osc-3, which contains 3 vco's, pwm, ringmod and sync. It sounds very thick and warm. You can assign the note number to cv1 in the mod matrix, patch that into the osc-3 and you are ready to go.
I'm going to add a bunch of other stuff, like filters, mutable instruments clouds and some other stuff in the future, but with only 1 module it's really nice already
Welcome to the world of GAS mate,your pockets will now for evermore be empty :lol: :lol: . All the best mate and enjoy, cheers Glyn.

sbookholt

Post by sbookholt » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:26 pm

Cheers guys! I'll make a demo this weekend, no prob

The Lurcher

Post by The Lurcher » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:20 pm

By coincidence my Dom 1 also arrived today and can't wait to pair it up with the Pro 2 over the weekend. These are gonna be life long buddies I'm sure!

Trevor Refix

Post by Trevor Refix » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:18 am

I've been enjoying following this thread as I've been daydreaming starting a small eurorack to compliment my set up with the Pro 2 and didn't really realize that I could start really small with just a case and an oscillator... sweet!

I have a question about moving forward (still in small steps) after picking up that initial VCO to get to a very basic (and cheap) voice:

After the VCO if I grabbed a VCF and VCA module could I then send my new VCO directly to my mixer (as oppose to through the audio in of the Pro 2) but send one of the extra Pro 2 envelopes and a Pro 2 LFO to the eurorack giving me a single voice (VCO, VCF, VCA, ADSR, LFO) independent of the pro 2?

Do I have my thinking straight?

Thanks!
https://soundcloud.com/textureandlight [electronic dream rock band]
https://soundcloud.com/trevorrefixmervyn [hardware based solo adventures]

elmquist

Post by elmquist » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:02 pm

I don't have a Pro2 but from my understanding this is exactly how you can use Pro2 and actually how its designed to be used. In fact you could sequence some MIDI gear too as part of the same patch if there are enough sequencer tracks and modulation slots for it.

Trevor Refix

Post by Trevor Refix » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:45 pm

elmquist wrote:I don't have a Pro2 but from my understanding this is exactly how you can use Pro2 and actually how its designed to be used. In fact you could sequence some MIDI gear too as part of the same patch if there are enough sequencer tracks and modulation slots for it.
sounds too fun to resist!

sbookholt

Post by sbookholt » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Trevor Refix wrote:I've been enjoying following this thread as I've been daydreaming starting a small eurorack to compliment my set up with the Pro 2 and didn't really realize that I could start really small with just a case and an oscillator... sweet!

I have a question about moving forward (still in small steps) after picking up that initial VCO to get to a very basic (and cheap) voice:

After the VCO if I grabbed a VCF and VCA module could I then send my new VCO directly to my mixer (as oppose to through the audio in of the Pro 2) but send one of the extra Pro 2 envelopes and a Pro 2 LFO to the eurorack giving me a single voice (VCO, VCF, VCA, ADSR, LFO) independent of the pro 2?

Thanks!
Yep you can start with only 1 vco like in the demo, add a vcf to add different filter sound to the palette, add a vca and you have a seperate out for your mixer/audio interface plus AM functionality. All envelopes/lfo's can be combined to something complex and sent out to one of the cv channels. No need for attenuators or inverters, all can be setup in the pro2

Trevor Refix

Post by Trevor Refix » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:26 pm

sbookholt wrote:
Trevor Refix wrote:I've been enjoying following this thread as I've been daydreaming starting a small eurorack to compliment my set up with the Pro 2 and didn't really realize that I could start really small with just a case and an oscillator... sweet!

Thanks!
Yep you can start with only 1 vco like in the demo, add a vcf to add different filter sound to the palette, add a vca and you have a seperate out for your mixer/audio interface plus AM functionality. All envelopes/lfo's can be combined to something complex and sent out to one of the cv channels. No need for attenuators or inverters, all can be setup in the pro2
Very cool! I'm looking at either the Intellijel Rubicon or TipTop z3000 as my VCO, but I'm not in a rush so I'll probably just keep checking the used market. And I have to build or get a case first too I guess :)

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:35 pm

I have a Z3000, it's a pretty boring oscillator. The Rubicon looks more interesting.

Or for the same price the AFG https://www.modulargrid.net/e/livewire- ... erator-afg

The granddaddy of oscillators if you can get hold of one.

Trevor Refix

Post by Trevor Refix » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:04 pm

BobTheDog wrote:I have a Z3000, it's a pretty boring oscillator. The Rubicon looks more interesting.

Or for the same price the AFG https://www.modulargrid.net/e/livewire- ... erator-afg

The granddaddy of oscillators if you can get hold of one.
Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. Yeah, I'm definitely thinking I'd like to get an "interesting" oscillator to start with as realistically it will be my only module for a while (Seriously!). Not one so complex that my mind gets blown trying to figure it out but interesting enough that connecting it to the pro 2 will open interesting sonic doors for me before I gather more modules.

Daj

Post by Daj » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:42 pm

I feel a Moog mother-32 could be sitting beside my pro2 soon
New gear excitement... Better than Christmas :)
Pro2, Tempest

Trevor Refix

Post by Trevor Refix » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:39 am

Daj wrote:I feel a Moog mother-32 could be sitting beside my pro2 soon
New gear excitement... Better than Christmas :)
Yeah, that's a definite possibility here too :)

PaleSkinnySwede

Post by PaleSkinnySwede » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:35 am

elmquist wrote:Congratulations with your modular extension to Pro2. Would love to hear some sound samples one day (youtube works best here). I have always loved the idea of extending Pro2 with analog oscillators due to its warmer sound. Can only imagine what four digital oscillators plus the digital sub and the three VCO's would make for a kind of fat bass or lead sound. Watch your speakers! :-)
I tried something similar last night when I patched my Cwejman VCO6 through the Pro 2 as an addition to beef up the already fat sound. Yum! :mrgreen:
--
David
soundcloud.com/pretorium [ambient/chillout/electronica]
soundcloud.com/mindxpander [space-synth/italo-disco]
soundcloud.com/ypsilon5 [goa-trance]

PaleSkinnySwede

Post by PaleSkinnySwede » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:00 am

Trevor Refix wrote:After the VCO if I grabbed a VCF and VCA module could I then send my new VCO directly to my mixer (as oppose to through the audio in of the Pro 2) but send one of the extra Pro 2 envelopes and a Pro 2 LFO to the eurorack giving me a single voice (VCO, VCF, VCA, ADSR, LFO) independent of the pro 2?
Yes, exactly so.

In my example below I'll be using LFO 4 (to control the resonance), ENV 4 (to control the filter cut-off) and ENV 5 (to control the VCA).

- Patch the Pro 2 CV Ext 1 to the pitch input (1V/oct) on the VCO
- Patch the Pro 2 CV Ext 2 to the Resonance input on the Filter
- Patch the Pro 2 CV Ext 3 to the Filter Cut-off input on the Filter
- Patch the Pro 2 CV Ext 4 to the CV input on the VCA

- Patch the OSC output to the Audio In on the Filter
- Patch the Filter output to the input on the VCA
- Patch the VCA output to your main mixer

You'll now need to do the following settings in the modulation matrix on the Pro 2:

[Source] -> [Amount] -> [Destination]
Note Number -> 127 -> CV Ext 1
LFO 4 -> 32 -> CV Ext 2
ENV 4 -> 127 -> CV Ext 3
ENV 5 -> 127 -> CV Ext 4

You might want to change the Amount for ENV 4 and ENV 5 depending on which Eurorack modules you're using and if the modules have their own attenuators on the inputs. Some inputs take -5V to +5V, so make sure you're not sending +10V to them. Strange things might happen.

The Amount for LFO 4 has to changed to fit the purpose too. If you have an attenuator on the filter module you can set a higher value in the Pro 2 and simply just tame it on the Eurorack side. That's easier than fiddling with the menu and knobs on the Pro 2.

Tweak some nice ENV shapes for ENV 4 and ENV 5 and play around with the LFO 4 settings.

It's a lot of patching and stuff to keep in your head, but play around with it and let me know how it goes. I hope I didn't ruin New Years Eve now ;)

Cheers
--
David
--
David

Trevor Refix

Post by Trevor Refix » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:29 pm

PaleSkinnySwede wrote:
Yes, exactly so.

In my example below I'll be using LFO 4 (to control the resonance), ENV 4 (to control the filter cut-off) and ENV 5 (to control the VCA).

- Patch the Pro 2 CV Ext 1 to the pitch input (1V/oct) on the VCO
- Patch the Pro 2 CV Ext 2 to the Resonance input on the Filter
- Patch the Pro 2 CV Ext 3 to the Filter Cut-off input on the Filter
- Patch the Pro 2 CV Ext 4 to the CV input on the VCA

- Patch the OSC output to the Audio In on the Filter
- Patch the Filter output to the input on the VCA
- Patch the VCA output to your main mixer

You'll now need to do the following settings in the modulation matrix on the Pro 2:

[Source] -> [Amount] -> [Destination]
Note Number -> 127 -> CV Ext 1
LFO 4 -> 32 -> CV Ext 2
ENV 4 -> 127 -> CV Ext 3
ENV 5 -> 127 -> CV Ext 4

You might want to change the Amount for ENV 4 and ENV 5 depending on which Eurorack modules you're using and if the modules have their own attenuators on the inputs. Some inputs take -5V to +5V, so make sure you're not sending +10V to them. Strange things might happen.

The Amount for LFO 4 has to changed to fit the purpose too. If you have an attenuator on the filter module you can set a higher value in the Pro 2 and simply just tame it on the Eurorack side. That's easier than fiddling with the menu and knobs on the Pro 2.

Tweak some nice ENV shapes for ENV 4 and ENV 5 and play around with the LFO 4 settings.

It's a lot of patching and stuff to keep in your head, but play around with it and let me know how it goes. I hope I didn't ruin New Years Eve now ;)

Cheers
--
David
Thanks for that David! I ended up not being able to resist the temptation of the Mother-32 so I'm waiting on that to be my first patchable companion to my Pro 2. I will definitely be re reading your post once it arrives. Happy New Year :)

PaleSkinnySwede

Post by PaleSkinnySwede » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:50 pm

Whoa! The Mother-32 is a nice present to give to yourself. Congratulations and I hope it will end up on your doorstep sooner than later. Let me know how it goes. I'll be happy to help from here :) Happy New Year to you too!
--
David