Beatstep Pro and DSI Pro 2 clock problem

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

The Lurcher

Beatstep Pro and DSI Pro 2 clock problem

Post by The Lurcher » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:26 am

Hi out there looking for some help. Have Beatstep Pro and I want to use the clock out on the Beatstep to sync / start / stop the Pro 2 sequencer thus leaving the Beatsteps sequencers free to run other hardware / apps.
Have connected the clock out from the Beatstep to the midi in on the Pro 2 and changed the Global settings for clock to Slave and chosen midi clock cable to midi port.
Having done this I have the Pro 2 sequencer set to run but upon starting the Beatstep I get no reaction from the Pro 2.
Any ideas ? Thanks - The Lurcher

blewis

Re: Beatstep Pro and DSI Pro 2 clock problem

Post by blewis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:28 pm

What OS are you on? I'm not going to be able to help much, but the newest, OS 1.1.8, has a MIDI clocking mode where it ignores Start/Stop.

The Lurcher

Post by The Lurcher » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:55 am

Hi blewis, am on original OS. Have not updated the new update yet although I would if it was fully ready. I also need to check whether the BS pro is running it's up to date firmware. If I can't suss it will try running both units from an external clock.

The Lurcher

Post by The Lurcher » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Think I have sussed the problem, not fixed it tho. BS Pro clock in and out works on the old DIN sync not midi DIN sync as per older Roland drum machines etc. Gonna have to get a master clock with the old DIN sync option or a converter to change the midi DIN sync to the older type to get where I want to be. They are out there. Would like to add the Pro 2 works well so far with the midi out on the BS2.

punchcard

Post by punchcard » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:37 am

I have a similar problem, just posted it to the excellent BSP User Group on Facebook.

I tried this setup: DSI Pro 2 >midi> Beatstep Pro >CV> DRM-1 last night.

BSP *is* receiving clock from the Pro 2, but it is not reacting to start/stop messages, which I am sure are being sent.
Really cannot get my head around this - has anyone encountered a similar issue?

The only answer I have so far is 'BSP needs to be the main clock' but that's not helpfum, as my usual setup goes somehwta like this:

Octatrack >midi> Pro 2, Analog 4, Moog Phattty and ideally BSP.
OT sends all start/stop and clock, and it's rather essential to the setup :)

THX

The Lurcher

Post by The Lurcher » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:59 pm

Have sorted the problem out for my workflow. I use IOS for drums and other synths (drumjam works really well and have been using alchemy mobile, sunrizer or iSem with the BSP). When I originally tried the midi out from the BSP I had it routed into the ipad using an iRig midi connector, feeding the midi thru output from the iRig midi into the Pro 2. The Pro 2 would sequence perfectly from the BSP via midi but I wanted it to run the Pro 2's internal sequencer independently of the BSP's sequencer outputs - so changed the Pro 2 midi channel to a different one from those the BSP was not using. The clock should still work on the Pro 2 sequencer but did not happen, the Pro 2 would not run, stop or do anything. This was why I started to try and run the Pro 2 via the clock out on the BSP. Anyway, to cut a long story short I took the BSP midi out direct to the Pro 2 and used the Pro 2's midi thru to feed the ipad - and fantastic it all works perfectly this way round. Swapping the midi connection routing made all the difference, for which I have no explanation unless there is a fault with the iRig midi thru port.
Many apologies if that's a bit long winded but unable to explain with less words. Try and make my next post more exciting. Looking forward to receiving a MFB Dominion 1 to add into the workflow soon - should really complement the Pro 2, which for me is an amazingly versatile and fun synth.

punchcard

Post by punchcard » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:39 pm

The Lurcher wrote:Looking forward to receiving a MFB Dominion 1 to add into the workflow soon - should really complement the Pro 2, which for me is an amazingly versatile and fun synth.
That's the part that stuck with me after reading your entire post :)
I would love one as well, where did you find one btw?

The Lurcher

Post by The Lurcher » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:27 am

Ordered one from Thomann a while back and hoping for a late September delivery - happy to play the patience game to get one. Spent ages trying to decide between the Dom 1 & Sub 37 but as much as I love the look and some of the functionality of the Sub 37 (which is a fantastic synth) and I wanted to love it, its sound just does not inspire me. Had a Pro One and a white face ARP Odyssey for many years but they were stolen and with the Dom 1 I feel I can get closer to those sounds and vintage analog flavour which I miss and the Sub 37 just does not do that for me.
I do intend to get a moogerfooger MF-101 so I can slot a moog filter into the Dom 1 signal path and I should be able to get closer to having the moog sound as well (I know it won't be exact but I feel this way I can get closer and will have more bases covered sonically). The Dom 1 seems to have a more Pro One / ARP'ish quality. I can get the Dom 1 & the MF-101 for the same or less money than the Sub 37 as well.

punchcard

Post by punchcard » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:53 pm

The Lurcher wrote:Ordered one from Thomann a while back and hoping for a late September delivery.
Has it arrived yet? I am keen to hear what you think!