Pro2 Main 1.1.15

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

syncretism

Re: Pro2 Main 1.1.15

Post by syncretism » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:23 pm

Duskyfarer wrote: Also, the problem with random potentiometers losing track of parameters they control when values are set to 0 has nothing to do with the show button. They all do it very occasionally an this happens in sessions where I don't touch the show button. The pots become unresponsive throughout the whole turn range and only kick in when I nudge the corresponding parameter value to be greater than about 5 using the encoders above the display.
I have never heard any comment on this behaviour.
Heya, Duskyfarer,

What's the value for Global setting #15 (Pot Mode) when this happens? Relative, passthrough, jump?

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Duskyfarer wrote:
Pym wrote:This will probably be the next production version as we want to get something out with bug fixes before I overhaul the sequencer code to fix all the annoying edge cases. That's next on my list
Pym, I'm sorry to say this and I really appreciate all your and your team's work, but I do not understand what you mean by "edge cases". What I'm experiencing is a non-functioning/erratic behaviour on basic functions that I'm trying to perform with the PRO2 sequencer. To me, it is a seriously flawed feature that makes itself apparent as soon as I touch the sequencer. For example the issue with the [sequencer] button that changes how the legato/glide notes are played whether it's activated or disabled is hardly an edge case. Why is there a link between sequencer activate/disable button and musical note articulation?

Also, the problem with random potentiometers losing track of parameters they control when values are set to 0 has nothing to do with the show button. They all do it very occasionally an this happens in sessions where I don't touch the show button. The pots become unresponsive throughout the whole turn range and only kick in when I nudge the corresponding parameter value to be greater than about 5 using the encoders above the display.
I have never heard any comment on this behaviour.

I'm losing faith in this project - to me it looks like the whole thing is just spiraling more out of control with every update. I'm selling my PRO2 for whatever amount of money I can get back from this disappointing experience and moving on.
to me it sounds like there is something wrong with your PRO2, I am not seeing this sort of behaviour on mine!

I would email DSI support about it and see what they say?

Duskyfarer

Post by Duskyfarer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:42 pm

syncretism wrote:What's the value for Global setting #15 (Pot Mode) when this happens? Relative, passthrough, jump?
Passthrough.
BobTheDog wrote:to me it sounds like there is something wrong with your PRO2, I am not seeing this sort of behaviour on mine!
I'm sure this is not a hardware fault - it works correctly most of the time and the problem occurs literally once or twice in a week (if at all) and I use the synth everyday for minimum an hour. There must be something in the firmware that under certain conditions causes random knobs to lose tracking at the lowest value. It might be something related to changing presets I suspect, but I'm not sure.

For example, I work on a patch, then change to a different patch, start programming and discover that for instance EG attack knob doesn't catch with the value in the passthrough mode (I always work in passthrough). I bring that EG on screen and nudge attack to say 5, then turn the offending attack knob and it works as it should. It can happen to any of the potentiometers, there's no pattern which knobs do it most often. Also, a power-cycle sorts the problem out, but nudging the parameter with an encoder over the screen is quicker.

I got really tired of it and decided I'm not putting up with it anymore. I'll pick up an alternative synth, a simple one without complex software controlling it. Just wanted to make some music instead of futzing around and thinking what's wrong and when the update will come.
cbmd wrote:Set the global MIDI channel and the sequencer MIDI track to different channels.
Yup, I'm sorry - it was my error not the synth's fault.
cbmd wrote:re: the light and dim notes, dim steps are part of a tie. reference the manual regarding ties.

When the sequencer is active and the screen is not on the sequencer screen, pressing the sequencer button will bring up the sequencer screen and will not turn the sequencer off. Once the sequencer screen is active, pressing the sequencer button will turn it off.
That's fine but my problem is differen't - I turn off track 1 so it doesn't control the notes. I sequence a filter movement on track 2, I sequence resonance movement on track 3. When sequencer trigger mode is "sequencer" and not running, I play the keyboard - legato and glide work - low key priority (I always work in low key priority).

I press the sequencer activation button - seqencer trigger mode - key, env retrigger off, all steps light up - legato and glide don't work properly. I press seqencer activate button - all steps are dim - when I play on the keyboard, the sequence runs properly, legato and glide work properly but I can't edit my sequence. When I want to change something in the sequence, I have to press sequencer activate button - steps light up, no legato and glide as it should be - there is some glide and some legato but not articulating in a clean manner like when the steps are unlit.

I hope DSI can do something about it for the future owners, but I'm out.

cbmd

Post by cbmd » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:16 pm

We are aware of the key priority issues with track 1 notes off and the sequencer play source set to "sequencer" and it is on our list of items to look into. At the moment, I would suggest that you use the "Keyboard" play source as the key priority tracks correctly when the note track is off.

We will be returning to the Pro 2 OS very soon and will be overhauling the sequencer code. The latest OS was meant to fix some small bugs and add a couple cool features before revamping the sequencer. As it stands, the current sequencer code needs to be refactored before we pursue fixing all the various edge case operations. It's good to note that you can always stay on the 1.1 OS release if it was working better for you.

Hope this helps!
Carson Day
Technical Support
Dave Smith Instruments

Duskyfarer

Post by Duskyfarer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:23 am

I could give the PRO2 another chance if I knew that the developers at DSI really start looking at this synth from a different angle, the musician and performer's angle. It seems they are very good at programming sophisticated features but it would work out much much better if they just sat at the synth, played a little monophonic line on the keyboard, by hand, the way it was played in the past when there was no computer code involved, and see how their features integrate with this simple playing. The most annoying problems are when something doesn't work properly while doing this simple thing.

MiniDX

Post by MiniDX » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:26 pm

I'm still on 1.1.0 which i find stable.

What's new with this OS? I just wish i could record directly the sequencer as i play the keyboard, can we do that now?

blewis

Post by blewis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:43 pm

The update speed on the OLED screen has got pretty slow. Turn a knob pretty fast and the numbers get torn and sloppy. Wasn't noticeable on previous OSes. Looks like I'm on 1.1.14. Anyone seen this fixed in 1.1.15?

Edit: updated to 1.1.15 and I still see it. Mostly noticeable on cutoff of Filt2.

I could be making stuff up, but it just started sticking out to me. Like the update speed has been lowered.

beefpoweredcars

Post by beefpoweredcars » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:43 pm

I noticed the same thing about the lower refresh/update speed of the OLED display right after I updated to 1.1.14. It gets downright chop chop choppy sometimes.

J KAY

Post by J KAY » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:25 pm

Thanks for the great work dsi

Would love it if you could implement ratcheting on individual steps on the sequencer

That would be sweet

Cheers

Joe

glynbo

Post by glynbo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:40 pm

J KAY wrote:Thanks for the great work dsi

Would love it if you could implement ratcheting on individual steps on the sequencer

That would be sweet

Cheers

Joe
+1.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:29 pm

J KAY wrote:Thanks for the great work dsi

That would be sweet

Cheers

Joe

A Bit of a workaround is to use a delay set to the required repeat rate, feedback up high and amount on 0. Then use a sequencer track to control delay amount.

Not fully what you want but gets a bit of the way there.

J KAY

Post by J KAY » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:27 pm

BobTheDog wrote:

A Bit of a workaround is to use a delay set to the required repeat rate, feedback up high and amount on 0. Then use a sequencer track to control delay amount.

Not fully what you want but gets a bit of the way there.
Thanks bob

Never even thought of doing that, would be a cool trick to try out

Cheers

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Hello ... I am still new to my Pro 2 and can't say that I have come across any issues yet with the OS 1.1.0. Still I am curious about all these posts relating to OS upgrades. When I go to the DSI web site Pro 2 support page I only see OS 1.1.0 as an option. What am I missing?

glynbo

Post by glynbo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:23 pm

DaveBee wrote:Hello ... I am still new to my Pro 2 and can't say that I have come across any issues yet with the OS 1.1.0. Still I am curious about all these posts relating to OS upgrades. When I go to the DSI web site Pro 2 support page I only see OS 1.1.0 as an option. What am I missing?
Hi DaveBee,they are on this forums first page mate, also instructions on sending them to your Pro 2 if you decide to use them. Cheers Glyn.

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:07 pm

thanks Glyn!

hlzdnb

Post by hlzdnb » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:53 pm

I'll stick to 1.1 atm, the new upgrade messed up some patches particularly the ones where i used delays.

First pad is os 1.1 , second pad, same chord is os 1.5

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jkp4r1av6wg4 ... e.mp3?dl=0

The weirdest thing is that oscillators sound completely out of tune,which does not make any sense, cause pro2 oscillators are fully digital, delays are too washed. Other couple of patches have similar issues , the rest is fine. Any ideas?
P.s. As suggested i did glbal reset and filter tuning after os update

Soundquest1

Re: Pro2 Main 1.1.14

Post by Soundquest1 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Soundquest1 wrote:Since updating to 1.1.14 I've had 8 instances of the main screen display simply go dark. Instrument continues to function, as well as controls, but unit needs to be turned off and back on again to get display to work again!

This seems like a significant bug. I've noticed No real patern. Twice though it hapened when playng/holding notes and slowly moving pitch wheel. That's a funtion I'd really like to have :wink: Also, three times it happened when I was re-recording overtop of existing notes onto sequencer track1.

I have had this happen several more times. No rhyme or reason to when. However, it looks like turning off the screen "power saver" in global settings seems to prevent this bug (screen going dark and staying dark) from hapening.

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:23 pm

Is it normal that the screen top row / patchname flickers when you change values?

owensands

Post by owensands » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:44 am

yeah the screen is pretty bad now in 1.1.15. The refresh is really slow. Doesnt bother me all that much but it's definitely worse than it was in 1.1.

PMFM

Post by PMFM » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:05 pm

Is there any information available about
the release of a PROPER OSupdate for the
PRO 2?
I do believe it is a pretty bad advertisement
for DSI and how they deal with maintainance
of their products.
Is it only about the PROPHET 6 by now?
It wasn´t yesterday when this comunity
found out about "2" unhealthy OSupdates