Pro2 Main 1.1.15

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

glynbo

Re: Pro2 Main 1.1.14

Post by glynbo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi Pym

thanks for the new update,its worth it just for the midi sync in the delay section working now, on its own.Will check out other newbies in a while.Also will there be a new users manual soon please.Thanks Glyn.

Steam Shield

Post by Steam Shield » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:26 am

I agree this update is worth it. Had only a minute to try it out but was able to sequence an external synth via midi and jam over the top with the Pro 2. nice! :D

Duskyfarer

Post by Duskyfarer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:22 am

I have updated to the latest beta. Good news, I can now smoothly play legato and portamento lines while having the sequencer cycle in the background changing various parametres - even though it feels more like a workaround than a healthy feature, I'll explain below.

I also managed to change the seq track length and sequence external synths via MIDI from the PRO2 sequencer. But when sequencing external gear- it triggers both the sequenced note and the note that I hit on the keyboard at the same time to be played by the external device = very bad, unusable.

The sequencer functionality is still very messy. I mean, I don't understand what the [sequencer] button does now. What's the difference if the step buttons are lit or dark, the sequencer seems to be always on, and cannot be switched off, no matter if I press the seq button or not - this relates to the "key" mode which I would like to use the most.

The only way to switch it off now is to change the play mode to "sequencer". If in "key" mode, it will always play when a key is pressed even if all step buttons are dark. When the steps are lit - portamento doesn't work normally in low-note priority - it's glitchy. When the step buttons are dark, portamento works alright but I can't mute/unmute steps or record changes to the sequence.

Also, arpeggiator doesn't seem to output MIDI when local control is off.

SeenFromSpace

Post by SeenFromSpace » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:22 pm

I'm new to DSI and have just received a Pro 2. The link to updating your Pro 2 on a Mac goes to a Tempest page! Is the procedure about the same for the P2? I've looked in the P2 section of the Knowledge Base, and there's nothing about OS updates.

Thanks.

glynbo

Post by glynbo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:27 pm

SeenFromSpace wrote:I'm new to DSI and have just received a Pro 2. The link to updating your Pro 2 on a Mac goes to a Tempest page! Is the procedure about the same for the P2? I've looked in the P2 section of the Knowledge Base, and there's nothing about OS updates.

Thanks.
It does that for the PC procedure so I guess it is the same on the MAC.Cheers Glyn.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:23 am

BobTheDog wrote:Hi Pym,

Just a note incase anyone else gets this.

I couldn't send the .14 sysex to my Pro 2 over usb, the Pro 2 just wasn't responding.

I looked at the globals and the sysex was set to USB.

So I reset the globals just incase and then it started receiving the .14 sysex correctly.

I'm not at all sure what went on here!
I experienced the same issue. Thanks for the tip!

Trevor Refix

Post by Trevor Refix » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:01 am

I'm still getting stuck notes when sequencing the Pro 2 via my Octatrack, seemingly even worse then the previous beta. Also, I still can't switch programs when local control is off and the Pro 2 is the master keyboard (again through the Octatrack). Back to 1.1.0!
https://soundcloud.com/textureandlight [electronic dream rock band]
https://soundcloud.com/trevorrefixmervyn [hardware based solo adventures]

PMFM

Post by PMFM » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Trevor Refix wrote:I'm still getting stuck notes when sequencing the Pro 2 via my Octatrack, seemingly even worse then the previous beta. Also, I still can't switch programs when local control is off and the Pro 2 is the master keyboard (again through the Octatrack). Back to 1.1.0!

Good to know,so I´ll stick to OS 1.1.0

I was just about to upgrade when I found your post..

Thanks a lot!

glynbo

Post by glynbo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi all,I have seen people mentioning using sequencer midi out to control other gear but I can`t work how to set this up,is it a midi only connection or can I use USB Midi connection that is my chosen conection at this time.Many thanks Glyn.

Soundquest1

Post by Soundquest1 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Since updating to 1.1.14 I've had 8 instances of the main screen display simply go dark. Instrument continues to function, as well as controls, but unit needs to be turned off and back on again to get display to work again!

This seems like a significant bug. I've noticed No real patern. Twice though it hapened when playng/holding notes and slowly moving pitch wheel. That's a funtion I'd really like to have :wink: Also, three times it happened when I was re-recording overtop of existing notes onto sequencer track1.

glynbo

Post by glynbo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Soundquest1 wrote:Since updating to 1.1.14 I've had 8 instances of the main screen display simply go dark. Instrument continues to function, as well as controls, but unit needs to be turned off and back on again to get display to work again!

This seems like a significant bug. I've noticed No real patern. Twice though it hapened when playng/holding notes and slowly moving pitch wheel. That's a funtion I'd really like to have :wink: Also, three times it happened when I was re-recording overtop of existing notes onto sequencer track1.
Hi mate,I am trying to replicate your problem but so far no luck I`m afraid :( .If it happens to me I will give this a bump.Cheers Glyn.

cbmd

Post by cbmd » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:44 am

Duskyfarer wrote: I also managed to change the seq track length and sequence external synths via MIDI from the PRO2 sequencer. But when sequencing external gear- it triggers both the sequenced note and the note that I hit on the keyboard at the same time to be played by the external device = very bad, unusable.
Set the global MIDI channel and the sequencer MIDI track to different channels.
Duskyfarer wrote: I mean, I don't understand what the [sequencer] button does now. What's the difference if the step buttons are lit or dark, the sequencer seems to be always on, and cannot be switched off, no matter if I press the seq button or not
re: the light and dim notes, dim steps are part of a tie. reference the manual regarding ties.

When the sequencer is active and the screen is not on the sequencer screen, pressing the sequencer button will bring up the sequencer screen and will not turn the sequencer off. Once the sequencer screen is active, pressing the sequencer button will turn it off.
Carson Day
Technical Support
Dave Smith Instruments

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:13 am

Trevor Refix wrote:I'm still getting stuck notes when sequencing the Pro 2 via my Octatrack, seemingly even worse then the previous beta. Also, I still can't switch programs when local control is off and the Pro 2 is the master keyboard (again through the Octatrack). Back to 1.1.0!
I have been sequencing it from my Cirklon with no problems at all, I will give the OT a go today (If i can remember how to use the bloody thing!)

Concerning the program changes the OT has to echo the PC messages back, if it doesn't then it's never going to work.

Trevor Refix

Post by Trevor Refix » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:31 pm

BobTheDog wrote:
Concerning the program changes the OT has to echo the PC messages back, if it doesn't then it's never going to work.
It worked on my Mopho when it was in my set up so I assumed that not being able to manually change patches on the Pro 2 with local control off was a bug.

Cool if you could test the OT hung notes thing. Support has been notified (both from the previous beta and 1.1.14) and have asked me to try a couple different things and report the results back to them which I will do tonight...

Pym

Re: Pro2 Main 1.1.15

Post by Pym » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:41 am

Another small update posted

This will probably be the next production version as we want to get something out with bug fixes before I overhaul the sequencer code to fix all the annoying edge cases. That's next on my list
Chris Hector
https://soundcloud.com/iampym
Dave Smith Instruments

Trevor Refix

Post by Trevor Refix » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:42 am

Pym wrote:Another small update posted

This will probably be the next production version as we want to get something out with bug fixes before I overhaul the sequencer code to fix all the annoying edge cases. That's next on my list
Ah! I hate to be a broken record but the stuck notes are still happening in 1.1.15.

I would be so bummed if this was the production version and I (and anyone else using an Octatrack) had to stay back at 1.1.0

Anyways, I'll put the details in the support ticket I have open. Cheers.

scd

Post by scd » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:35 pm

My first post on the forum. I became the lucky owner of a Pro2 with firmware 1.10 and ran into a bug. I came across the public beta and tried loading it to see if the bug was solved, but things got worse actually.

In 1.10
Pro2 connected through usb to a MacBook Pro with Ableton Live 9.
Pro2 Global Mode: Local control off, MIDI clock mode: master. All selectable MIDI ports on the Pro2 set to usb.
PLaying the keys makes sound, so the MIDI connection through Live is working.
With the above setting turn on the arpeggiator and try to change the BPM: it will only change if you do rapid changes with the knob. When you slowly turn the knob the tempo stays the same. This way I can have an initial (and actual) tempo of 40 BPM and turn the BPM value slowly up to 160 while nothing happens with the actual tempo. Only quick knob turns makes the BPM "jump" to a different value.

In 1.15 things got worse.
Again:
Pro2 connected through usb to a MacBook Pro with Ableton Live 9.
Pro2 Global mode: Local control off, MIDI clock mode: master. All selectable MIDI ports on the Pro2 set to usb.
In this firmware, the arpeggiator is not playing at all anymore when Local control is set to off: not in MIDI clock master mode, nor in MIDI clock slave mode nor in the other two MIDI clock modes (off, Slave thru).
In this setting (Local control off) I can also not select different patches anymore with the program knob in a normal way. Turning the program knob one click up does change the number after the "P" in the display (for instance P 1 becomes P2), but the actual name stays with the one that belongs to P 1, and the sound itself stays P 1 as well. Only when giving a quick turn with the program knob the sound changes to one some further programs away or further back from the starting point program.

There is no MIDI hub in between the Pro2 and MacBook Pro, I tried different usbn cables, rebooted everything a few times, reloaded the firmwares: the behavior stays 100% reproducable. Local control off calls in some kind of buggy behavior.

Friendly regards, Boele

scd

Post by scd » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:50 pm

One addition: when the OLED is falling asleep and you start sending the firmware sysex, you can not get the screen out of its sleep anymore :?
People might think that rebooting the Pro2 is a good idea then, which it is not. :mrgreen:
Expected: screen should wake up when receving incoming sysex.

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:10 pm

BobTheDog wrote:Hi Pym,

Just a note incase anyone else gets this.

I couldn't send the .14 sysex to my Pro 2 over usb, the Pro 2 just wasn't responding.

I looked at the globals and the sysex was set to USB.

So I reset the globals just incase and then it started receiving the .14 sysex correctly.

I'm not at all sure what went on here!

I had the same problem trying to update to 1.1.8 and 1.1.15; the Pro 2 just ignored the sysex data from Sysex Librarian and Elektron's C6. I reset globals on the Pro 2, restarted Sysex Librarian and now it's updating.

Duskyfarer

Post by Duskyfarer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Pym wrote:This will probably be the next production version as we want to get something out with bug fixes before I overhaul the sequencer code to fix all the annoying edge cases. That's next on my list
Pym, I'm sorry to say this and I really appreciate all your and your team's work, but I do not understand what you mean by "edge cases". What I'm experiencing is a non-functioning/erratic behaviour on basic functions that I'm trying to perform with the PRO2 sequencer. To me, it is a seriously flawed feature that makes itself apparent as soon as I touch the sequencer. For example the issue with the [sequencer] button that changes how the legato/glide notes are played whether it's activated or disabled is hardly an edge case. Why is there a link between sequencer activate/disable button and musical note articulation?

Also, the problem with random potentiometers losing track of parameters they control when values are set to 0 has nothing to do with the show button. They all do it very occasionally an this happens in sessions where I don't touch the show button. The pots become unresponsive throughout the whole turn range and only kick in when I nudge the corresponding parameter value to be greater than about 5 using the encoders above the display.
I have never heard any comment on this behaviour.

I'm losing faith in this project - to me it looks like the whole thing is just spiraling more out of control with every update. I'm selling my PRO2 for whatever amount of money I can get back from this disappointing experience and moving on.