Pro2 Main 1.1.15

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Blackdog128

Re: Pro2 Main 1.1.8

Post by Blackdog128 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:26 am

Thanks for all the hard work on this OS update! It's a great instrument/tool, glad to see your continued efforts to make it the absolute best it can be. (hokey, i know, but in this case seems appropriate)
Mopho desktop, Mopho X4, Evolver desktop, PEK, Pro2, Prophet 08 (on the way)

Soundquest1

Post by Soundquest1 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:18 pm

Part of the reason I bought the Pro 2 is so I wouldn't need to screw with a computer. I already have enough units hooked up that way and find the Pro 2 refreshingly self-contained. Obviously I'd like to update to 1.1.8, as there look to be some nice fixes.

So.... I go to read the instructions for updating via PC listed at the begining of this thread and I'm mostly lost and intimidated. Firstly, it's all "Tempest" references and the directions seem to have many if/ands/and buts/ and see notes...... type comments. This is quite different from any other update directions that I'm acoustom to seeing with other equipment that I own.

Please.... DSI, or anyone out there, Is there a more simple set of instructions to backup and subsequently update the Pro 2? Or does everyone out there but me find this so darn intuitive? :? It looks like I need to load some software on my computer first, then download with that. Been there, and done that with other units. But this look a bit much!

Years ago, back when computer programmers and engineers were able to create programs that could enable you to sit next to your spouse on an airplane w/o needing special input at purchase time, they also created data CD's. These CD's would come with your instrument manual. You would install them effortlessly, toss the install manual into the charcoal grill, and update or transfere data as you please from then on. Very simple! Have we lost our way with ergonomics and customer diversity? Not everyone in synth world wants to spend precious playing time floundering with a PC.

Pym

Post by Pym » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:13 pm

Fastest way would be to contact support and have them guide you through it. It isn't too hard once you get it working once
Soundquest1 wrote:Part of the reason I bought the Pro 2 is so I wouldn't need to screw with a computer. I already have enough units hooked up that way and find the Pro 2 refreshingly self-contained. Obviously I'd like to update to 1.1.8, as there look to be some nice fixes.

So.... I go to read the instructions for updating via PC listed at the begining of this thread and I'm mostly lost and intimidated. Firstly, it's all "Tempest" references and the directions seem to have many if/ands/and buts/ and see notes...... type comments. This is quite different from any other update directions that I'm acoustom to seeing with other equipment that I own.

Please.... DSI, or anyone out there, Is there a more simple set of instructions to backup and subsequently update the Pro 2? Or does everyone out there but me find this so darn intuitive? :? It looks like I need to load some software on my computer first, then download with that. Been there, and done that with other units. But this look a bit much!

Years ago, back when computer programmers and engineers were able to create programs that could enable you to sit next to your spouse on an airplane w/o needing special input at purchase time, they also created data CD's. These CD's would come with your instrument manual. You would install them effortlessly, toss the install manual into the charcoal grill, and update or transfere data as you please from then on. Very simple! Have we lost our way with ergonomics and customer diversity? Not everyone in synth world wants to spend precious playing time floundering with a PC.
Chris Hector
https://soundcloud.com/iampym
Dave Smith Instruments

cbmd

Post by cbmd » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:27 pm

We have detailed OS installation instructions available on our website. You can find the Pro 2 instructions at the following link:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/dow ... -pro-2-os/
Carson Day
Technical Support
Dave Smith Instruments

Steam Shield

Post by Steam Shield » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:46 pm

Hi. Just sharing my observations having updated to the beta. I didn't go through all the features but here's what I've noticed on those that I did.

1. Sequencer Track 1 can now be turned to 'Off':
Edit: In master and slave when set to off, sequencer runs and notes do not play in sequencer so that's good. Playing keyboard when turned off does not trigger notes but sometimes pressing keys will trigger notes randomly.

2. Copy and paste seq tracks: works nice, no issues.

8. MIDI arp notes. I can't trigger any external synths from pro 2 keys on midi out 1 or 2 when arp is set to on.

Other.
Sequencer midi out. Notes get stuck on external synths when pro 2 sequencer is stopped. It seems like note off isn't sent. Noticed this with 3 different ext synths modules. Not sure if this is related to the beta.

Soundquest1

Post by Soundquest1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:23 pm

Ok, thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.

glynbo

Post by glynbo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi Pym and cbmd,

I have upgraded to windows 10 and was wondering whether this will cause any problems to any future updates.

Many thanks Glyn.

Soundquest1

Post by Soundquest1 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:20 pm

Soundquest1 wrote:Ok, thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.

Ok, Looks like it worked :)

By the way computer guys....I experimented with sysex dump into midox. I'm not sure it's really traveling from Pro 2 to my computer. Shouldn't there be like a file I can find on my computer after I do this? I'm not familiar with this midox software otherthan the update 1.18 I just did.

Trevor Refix

Post by Trevor Refix » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:28 am

elektraursula wrote:Hey!

Since the update I can't sequence the Pro2 by my Octatrack.
If I send notes the Pro 2 stuck by playing only one long everytime the sequence restarts. Also the Pro 2 behaves really slow with Program, Paramter changes and the Display reacts really slow.

Anyone same Issues?

Greetings!
Same here. I just updated and now all of a sudden I get stuck notes within a few hits when playing the Pro 2 keyboard (with local control off and midi connected through the OT) or within the 1st or second sequencer note when the OT is sequencing the Pro 2. I also notice the display and knobs are slow and intermittently don't work when attached to OT. Reverting back to 1.1.0 and emailing support.
https://soundcloud.com/textureandlight [electronic dream rock band]
https://soundcloud.com/trevorrefixmervyn [hardware based solo adventures]

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:37 am

Soundquest1 wrote:
Soundquest1 wrote:Ok, thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.

Ok, Looks like it worked :)

By the way computer guys....I experimented with sysex dump into midox. I'm not sure it's really traveling from Pro 2 to my computer. Shouldn't there be like a file I can find on my computer after I do this? I'm not familiar with this midox software otherthan the update 1.18 I just did.
The file likely needs to be saved/exported by MIDI-Ox; that's how it works with Elektron's C6 tool. Mouse around the app, and I'm sure you'll find something.

relicz3k

Post by relicz3k » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:30 pm

Hung notes from externally triggered midi using the latest beta release (1.1.8).

Trevor Refix

Post by Trevor Refix » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:34 pm

Trevor Refix wrote:

If I send notes the Pro 2 stuck by playing only one long everytime the sequence restarts. Also the Pro 2 behaves really slow with Program, Paramter changes and the Display reacts really slow.

Anyone same Issues?

Greetings!
Same here. I just updated and now all of a sudden I get stuck notes within a few hits when playing the Pro 2 keyboard (with local control off and midi connected through the OT) or within the 1st or second sequencer note when the OT is sequencing the Pro 2. I also notice the display and knobs are slow and intermittently don't work when attached to OT. Reverting back to 1.1.0 and emailing support.
Official word from support is that the hung notes issue is a known bug and is fixed in the yet to be released OS.
https://soundcloud.com/textureandlight [electronic dream rock band]
https://soundcloud.com/trevorrefixmervyn [hardware based solo adventures]

elektraursula

Post by elektraursula » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:22 am

Trevor Refix wrote:
Trevor Refix wrote:

Anyone same Issues?

Greetings!
Official word from support is that the hung notes issue is a known bug and is fixed in the yet to be released OS.

I tried to sequence the Pro 2 by DAW via Midi(Live 9.2. and Focusrite Saffire 40) and everthing worked fine.

Pro 2 via USB into DAW works bidirectional fine too.

Strange behaviour, if I send notes from the OT one two channels it plays the notes from an other sequence. In my case, PRO 2 recieving on CH 6, play notes normal from CH 5.

Switched to Main Os 1.1 back.

Support was informed.

Pym

Re: Pro2 Main 1.1.14

Post by Pym » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:33 pm

OS update with various bug fixes. This one might go into production as a bug fix OS before we get to the next round of fixes on some of the more difficult sequencer modes and other features such as alternate tunings and the delay feedback modes
Chris Hector
https://soundcloud.com/iampym
Dave Smith Instruments

blewis

Post by blewis » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:28 am

Just in time for the weekend! Thanks for the hard work.

blewis

Post by blewis » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:16 am

First bit of positive feedback. Like an idiot I started sending the new file to the Pro2 with my laptop on its battery. The laptop aggressively goes into hibernate and shut off mid dump.

The Pro2 recovered fine as it doesn't do the write without a checksum or at least a complete download. Could have been a bummer if you guys didn't handle the code download better. Thanks for saving me.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:13 am

Hi Pym,

Just a note incase anyone else gets this.

I couldn't send the .14 sysex to my Pro 2 over usb, the Pro 2 just wasn't responding.

I looked at the globals and the sysex was set to USB.

So I reset the globals just incase and then it started receiving the .14 sysex correctly.

I'm not at all sure what went on here!

Benzebub

Post by Benzebub » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:57 am

Thanks a lot for this update!
Disabling track 1 works as expected now and I can play the synth independently while the sequencer is running. One thing I noticed though: Legato playing does not work properly when sequencer is running.
For example, if I have key priority set to low-retrig I can press a lower key and it works and when I release it it jumps back to the key before (as expected) but if I press a higher key it does not trigger when I release the key I first pressed. Say I press C3 and then B2. Both keys trigger and when Releasing B2 it plays C3 again but if I press C3 and then D3, D3 is not trigger when I release C3. It works as expected if sequencer is enabled and not running and it works as expected with sequencer disabled all together.
Hope my explanation makes any sense.

blewis

Post by blewis » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:36 am

Benzebub wrote: Disabling track 1 works as expected now and I can play the synth independently while the sequencer is running. One thing I noticed though: Legato playing does not work properly when sequencer is running.
Can only play paraphonically with sequencer running if it's in step mode. Kinda fun to watch multiple keys advance the sequencer in strange ways since multiple keys are being pressed, but not immediately useful.

Also other sequencer modes seem to disable paraphonic play, overriding the keymode of the patch.

One day I'll be able to play a paraphonic pad with some sequenced modulation on the Pro2. I hope.

Benzebub

Post by Benzebub » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Noticed one thing now: My F2 Envelope amount is kind of jumpy. After loading a new patch it can jump to the potentiometers value after a while. Has the code for the ADC changed or is it my pot that is faulty? This has not been an issue before upgrading.

Edit: Removed the MIDI-IN cable that goes from the Tempest and now it does not happen anymore. Screensaver works as well. Tempest is only sending clock.
@Pym, any idea what is causing this?
Last edited by Benzebub on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.