Pro2 Main 1.1.15

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

The Lurcher

Re: Pro2 Main 1.1.15

Post by The Lurcher » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:23 am

Have to agree with ya there PMFM - would at least be good to know this is still underway and actively being worked on, it all seems to have gone very quiet on the update. As well as the various known issues any news DSI re the sequencer functionality updates? linear FM? etc.
Think we Pro 2 owners are feeling somewhat neglected at this time :(

PMFM

Post by PMFM » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:10 pm

...what realy sets me off is the fact that we are
talking about an instrument that became available
just ONE YEAR ago...!
But the way they try to squash bugs and here I´m
not even talking about any improvments, feels like
like they treat it like as old as the Tempest.
...and even that is a sad story.
Sold mine 2 month ago..

hlzdnb

Post by hlzdnb » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:54 pm

guys, chill out, personally i'm making music with both the tempest and the pro2 and i love both. I get it, they need improvement and fixes, but sounds like if you don't get this updates you cannot make music!
Of course i'd like improvements on the tempest, like wider options on the 16tunings more, but just be patient, dsi customer service is one of the best, and keep in mind that is a very small company run by a dozen of people. Is defo not an easy task to write an os for a synth!
Chill and make music

That said, i'm saving money for a prophet 6 :D

The Lurcher

Post by The Lurcher » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:00 am

To be honest I am pretty chilled about it. I am making my music and love the Pro 2, over my dead body will it ever be taken from me!! Just seemed with all the beta versions being put out there that progress was being made but seems to have gone very quiet on any further progress. I don't really care if I have to wait longer, just felt it would be nice to know this is ongoing and has not been put on the back burner.
I have had fantastic support from DSI when I had a problem and needed a new board so I am not really having a go at them just wanted a bit of reassurance.
Anyway, fantastic instrument which can only get better.

PMFM

Post by PMFM » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:56 am

..if you use the PRO 2 in combination
with Ableton or some other SeqSoftware
you´re propably not that chilled.

glynbo

Post by glynbo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:55 am

PMFM wrote:..if you use the PRO 2 in combination
Very true, very true, :( :( .

The Lurcher

Post by The Lurcher » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Yea can understand that. Lucky for me a DAW is not part of my workflow and I have no probs hardware syncing Pro 2 for my relatively simple needs. Hope it gets sorted soon especially for you guys tho.

owensands

Post by owensands » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:12 pm

hlzdnb wrote:guys, chill out, personally i'm making music with both the tempest and the pro2 and i love both. I get it, they need improvement and fixes, but sounds like if you don't get this updates you cannot make music!
Of course i'd like improvements on the tempest, like wider options on the 16tunings more, but just be patient, dsi customer service is one of the best, and keep in mind that is a very small company run by a dozen of people. Is defo not an easy task to write an os for a synth!
Chill and make music

That said, i'm saving money for a prophet 6 :D
Bitwig(also about a year old) is also a company run by about 12 people and they have made more improvements to their DAW(much more complex code then the pro2) then DSI has done in their entire existence as a company. It's like a night and day difference X 5 between the two companies. Just sayin...

With that said I am happily making music too but the pro 2 still needs a lot of work and its definitely is taking a long time. Not holding my breath though...

blewis

Post by blewis » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:58 am

Maybe they've all disappeared onto the next project already? It did take forever for that first round of fixes.

hlzdnb

Post by hlzdnb » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:22 am

PMFM wrote:..if you use the PRO 2 in combination
Just for curiosity, what are the problems with ableton? i use cubase and reason and i have the pro 2 working perfectly

PMFM

Post by PMFM » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:13 pm

Ableton and the PRO 2 sequencer don't
like each other under the latest OS.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:45 pm

In what way?

glynbo

Post by glynbo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:03 pm

With me the problem is in the midi timing when running my Pro 2 as a slave to Live 9, it`s all over the place when using the LFO`s and delays in midi sync mode. It`s such a shame as it is surely midi sync that is one of the most obvious of features that should function in any music setup! It just takes the edge of an amazing synth.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:31 am

Lives midi system is linked to the buffer size, what buffer size are you using?

Also what BPM are you running at?

patrick_j

Post by patrick_j » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:49 pm

owensands wrote:
hlzdnb wrote: Bitwig(also about a year old) is also a company run by about 12 people and they have made more improvements to their DAW(much more complex code then the pro2) then DSI has done in their entire existence as a company. It's like a night and day difference X 5 between the two companies. Just sayin...
Bitwig also only has 1 product to worry about vs the many DSI has to worry about. It's also written in Java and C++ which has a much larger pool of software engineer candidates vs what ever embedded system boards DSI use, which I'm sure is hard to find qualified developers. DSI also has the hardware development side of things to worry.

The two companies are apples and oranges, you can't compare the two.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:41 pm

Bitwig also released an initial unfinished product, it is still not finished at 1.3 after a year.

When they get to version 2.0 it will be at the level that people expected version 1.0 to be!

Maybe DSI could do that, release a 5 octave keyboard where only the bottom two octaves work and then gradually add octaves over time.

glynbo

Post by glynbo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:50 am

Hi all, I have been lucky enough to buy an elektron Analog four at a good price. So far it seems that too has midi sync wandering until it is used with the `Overbridge` vst system where you can just make a selection to stay in sync with midi and it then locks on perfectly! Why in this day and age is a stable midi sync so hard to embed.I sold a Blofeld to help pay for the Elektron which also had midi sync problems that were not cured since its release.I think for the amount of money we spend on these synths the least we should expect is for something thats been an integral part of music since the `80`s` to work correctly.

maks

Post by maks » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:50 am

I'm sure in the years to come , stable accurate sync will be a regular feature..until then if you want great sync (sample accurate in fact, better then over bridge ) get this...its the cheapest way to sync heaven...http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/usamo.html and if you have more to spend then this http://www.e-rm.de/multiclock and stop blaming DSI for usb clock that was never supposed to be good :) cause usb by nature is polluted with extraneous computer interrupts unless it has proprietary written drivers which 95% of companies will not develop yet or ever..besides that, most major DAW's do not prioritize midi as they do audio and pdc, hence midi clock is wobbly as emphasis is on plugins and itb work. its only recently that some daw's have acquired enough complaints with midi inconsistencies and a revival of hardware that they've taken notice but its still not a priority by any stretch of the imagination to be as good as a dedicated sync box or cv.

glynbo

Post by glynbo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:52 am

Thanks for that info maks,I think the USAMO will be the way to go. Cheers Glyn.

glynbo

Post by glynbo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi all, I recently upgraded to Reaktor 6 and as a consequence had to upgrade my old celeron PC. After setting everything up to as it was with my old system I fired up live 9 and my Pro 2 and low and behold it all runs in perfect sync. Do you think my old system was just not powerfull enough to let the midi run in sync? Whatever it is I am now well pleased I upgraded my PC. Cheers Glyn.