Pro2 Main 1.1.15

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

xxl

Re: Pro2 Main 1.1.15

Post by xxl » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Hi..
I love the pro2.. FM makes it strong.
This is not the right place to place bug reports. The following should be sth like a wishlist.

- Please please implement a live recording feature its so important
- There is a LOT of very very low frequency content (15 - 30 Hz) if you leave the lp filter all the way down and activate the filter envelope with short decay on it from basic programm
- The pattern play mode should never stop unless
1.the play mode is stopped by hiting play/stop
2.midi clk stops or midi clk stop signal.
3.the sequencer is turned off (the transport should run further on internally from here in order that the sequencer can start again from the right position when switched on again)
4. change of sequencer settings.
(The playlist feature is nice but it doesnt solve the prevalent problem)

- Midi control of parameters externally by a DAW is very buggy..

Thanks and please keep up the good work.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:57 pm

Maybe we could all continue posting over in the official forum. I've created a thread there: http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/i ... ,83.0.html

Thank you!

owensands

Post by owensands » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:27 am

BobTheDog wrote:Bitwig also released an initial unfinished product, it is still not finished at 1.3 after a year.

When they get to version 2.0 it will be at the level that people expected version 1.0 to be!

Maybe DSI could do that, release a 5 octave keyboard where only the bottom two octaves work and then gradually add octaves over time.

funny I've made over 20 tracks since 1.0 dropped after using live for 5 years. Its a great DAW. Also a DAW is never "finished". I could also compare DSI to elektrons rate of OS updates and legacy product support and overbridge...
Last edited by owensands on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

owensands

Post by owensands » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:43 am

patrick_j wrote:
owensands wrote:
hlzdnb wrote: Bitwig(also about a year old) is also a company run by about 12 people and they have made more improvements to their DAW(much more complex code then the pro2) then DSI has done in their entire existence as a company. It's like a night and day difference X 5 between the two companies. Just sayin...
Bitwig also only has 1 product to worry about vs the many DSI has to worry about. It's also written in Java and C++ which has a much larger pool of software engineer candidates vs what ever embedded system boards DSI use, which I'm sure is hard to find qualified developers. DSI also has the hardware development side of things to worry.

The two companies are apples and oranges, you can't compare the two.

oh please. Let's give some other examples. Mutable instruments(like one dude). Elektron.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:51 am

owensands wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:Bitwig also released an initial unfinished product, it is still not finished at 1.3 after a year.

When they get to version 2.0 it will be at the level that people expected version 1.0 to be!

Maybe DSI could do that, release a 5 octave keyboard where only the bottom two octaves work and then gradually add octaves over time.

funny I've made over 20 tracks since 1.0 dropped after using live for 5 years. Its a great DAW. Also a DAW is never "finished". I could also compare DSI to elektrons rate of OS updates and legacy product support and overbridge...

Only missing such basic things as no crossfades, no comping, automation recording that doesn't work with plugins not written by BitWig, not passing poly aftertouch to plugins, badly implemented midi system limited to a total of a 64 channel midi setup (I have many more than this), awkward and buggy midi routing, buggy piano roll when dealing with short length notes, no support of AudioUnits, no support of VST3, no midi clock compensation for the silly midi clock output device, no midi clock in, no SMPTE at all.

Now those are the things that make it unusable for me, other people have other issues.

I'm not saying that BitWig won't be good, I purchased it the moment it was released but until they fix up basic things like mentioned above it is unusable for me.

owensands

Post by owensands » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:43 pm

BobTheDog wrote:
owensands wrote:

Only missing such basic things as no crossfades, no comping, automation recording that doesn't work with plugins not written by BitWig, not passing poly aftertouch to plugins, badly implemented midi system limited to a total of a 64 channel midi setup (I have many more than this), awkward and buggy midi routing, buggy piano roll when dealing with short length notes, no support of AudioUnits, no support of VST3, no midi clock compensation for the silly midi clock output device, no midi clock in, no SMPTE at all.

Now those are the things that make it unusable for me, other people have other issues.

I'm not saying that BitWig won't be good, I purchased it the moment it was released but until they fix up basic things like mentioned above it is unusable for me.
Yeah I hear you on the midi clock adjust. Want this real bad. For my workflow though, which is mostly hardware based, printing audio and mixing that, it works great. And to synch my rig to the DAW I do use midi clock, I just use recording offset for now to compensate.

Also just got word from devs that midi clock latency adjust is going in in the next few patches.

Ottorepeat

Post by Ottorepeat » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi,
Using OS 1.1.15

I noticed that
In "Paraphonic" mode, the "Play source" of the sequencer can't be "Key"
Is it normal or is it a bug ?

Best,
PRO2 + P12

nolongerhuman

Post by nolongerhuman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:19 pm

I'm looking at picking up a Pro 2 again, after getting fed up with the numerous bugs in version 1 of the OS.

Can anyone give a quick run down of what bugs still remain?

Can the arp send midi now?
Is sync via midi at all improved?
Does the synth change patches with local set to off now?

The pro 2 was really one of the best sounding synths I've heard but, it had enough bugs when using a daw to make it more of a pain than a pleasure. I'd love to have it back in the studio if any of the above has been addressed.

eisblau

Post by eisblau » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:56 am

Why isn't the 1.1.15 update ob the official DSI page? I bought the pro2 and asked the latest OS to be installed (no computer in my studio). Got it with 1.1.0 and on the DSI page it says that's the current OS.

nielsd

Post by nielsd » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:21 am

1.1.15 seems still stated as a "beta" - 1.1.0 is the last "stable" (re)version. But i can't say how far this is true for DSIs developement path - you may take a look at the thread start where the changelog could be found.

Typically this is done when newer (re)versions come with new and untested / partly / possibly incomplete features while the "old stable" one is tested and known as usable "productive".

As far as you don't rely on newer features and / or reliability is not the most important, i would recommend the 1.1.15 (just my view - personally).

hth a bit...pls correct me if i'm wrong...

eisblau

Post by eisblau » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Strange, I did not notice Main OS 1.1.15 still is a beta after 6 months..? But thank you for the info, I guess 1.1.15 is also the better one for me, als I noticed some little bugs on 1.1.0 by myself. Now I have to find a way to update my Pro2 over my Iphone. :D

nielsd

Post by nielsd » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Hiho nolongerhuman,

try to answer from what i know. I'm on 1.1.15 (beta?).
nolongerhuman wrote: Can the arp send midi now?
Is sync via midi at all improved?
Does the synth change patches with local set to off now?
The ARP could send MIDI now - if you mean this - we discussed this two days ago ß):
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7471#p66442

The MIDI seems to sync correct so far i've used it - i.e. with a Tempest and on a DAW i can use start/stop and so on.

I did not had the 1.1.0 version running under longer usage, but i know from Soundtower that they had delayed their release of the Pro 2 editor software some monthes ago because they awaited an Pro 2 firmware update regarding "several MIDI bugs" which influenced their release. They came up after the 1.1.15 firmware was published here with their 1.2 version of the editor - so it seems there was significant improvements in.

I did not had any further problems with the MIDI stack on DAW until now (partly Pro Tools 12, partly S1 3), but can't prove for anything because i'm still new to the Pro 2 too - so i can't give any list of still existing bugs. I've read here that the Pro 2 software is still under further improvement and it may be that i'm hit into any bug's in the future too...
Now I have to find a way to update my Pro2 over my Iphone.
wow, strange! But if you have any MIDI cable and some iOS MIDI "client" allowing sending sysex this "should" work... ß))

nielsd

Re: Pro2 Main 1.1.15 - bug report (hold + seq)

Post by nielsd » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:56 pm

Just as a small bug report:

When fiddeling with arps (partly key driven sequences too) i press (hold) to held an arp or sequence while tweaking around - this seems often to end in a full hang of the Pro 2. If required i will note in detail when it's happen.

In one case i got a hang to while just tweaking on a (synced) LFO while on hold.

Just for the case it's not known already...

Btw: When a newer beta or release would be available? Read that somewhere got a new Pro 2 with a 1.2.x OS on it be default...
Niels Dettenbach
dettenbach audio
music fab
http://dettenbach.de

paaants

Re: Pro2 Main 1.1.14

Post by paaants » Fri May 13, 2016 10:11 pm

Benzebub wrote:Noticed one thing now: My F2 Envelope amount is kind of jumpy. After loading a new patch it can jump to the potentiometers value after a while. Has the code for the ADC changed or is it my pot that is faulty? This has not been an issue before upgrading.

Edit: Removed the MIDI-IN cable that goes from the Tempest and now it does not happen anymore. Screensaver works as well. Tempest is only sending clock.
@Pym, any idea what is causing this?
I'm getting this/these exact same issue(s) on my brand new Pro 2, running 1.2.0.2. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, were you able to fix it? How?