Volume - nearly lost my monitors

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

RKfan

Volume - nearly lost my monitors

Post by RKfan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:48 pm

Here's something to be careful with.

Compared to my other synths the PRO-2 is really loud - don't normally increase the master volume knob above about 2. Now with all my other synths when I run them from a sequencer (e.g. Sonar) when you change the volume in the DAW the maximum volume you get coming out of them is whatever the volume knob is turned to.

Now with the PRO-2 if you change the volume in the DAW its like turning the volume knob itself - so the other day I turned down the volume in the DAW (was set at c. 80% and sounded fine (as expected, but a tad too loud) and wanted c.40%) - when I moved the slider the volume on the PRO-2 (volume knob about 2) went up to 4 - my monitors really didn't like that. I have a feeling that the PRO-2 is interpreting the midi message incorrectly (I would assume that it should really be changing the patch volume, but its actually changing the master volume).

Is this a bug?

Chris

Re: Volume - nearly lost my monitors

Post by Chris » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:20 am

i have not experienced that but i think the pro2 is loud compared to my pro12. no bad thing tho & does depend on patch volume as well i know
MophoD #4038 TETR4 #2299 MEK #01194 PRO12 #0470 MophoK #2430 PRO2 #0635

RKfan

Re: Volume - nearly lost my monitors

Post by RKfan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:32 pm

I've been trying to get this resolved through DSI Support - but cant say I've really had a satisfactory solution yet.

The issue is that if you change a volume slider in Sonar it sends CC#7 (Volume) message to the PRO-2. With all other synths I have (Kronos, Novation BassStation II and Roland Juno G) this changes the volume - but the maximum volume achievable is determined by the position of the volume knob on the keyboards themselves. In the PRO-2 doing the same thing is like turning the volume knob itself. I guess what I think the PRO-2 should be doing is responding to the CC#7 by changing the patch volume (CC#33 I think) - this means that the patch can get louder or quieter, but the maximum output is never more than that allowed by the volume dial. Support has suggested that I filter out CC#7 or swapping them for CC#33 - however, apart from not knowing how to do this in Sonar - this would mean I would have to do this for every midi file I create which used the PRO-2. Also what happens when I use the PRO-2 at the same time as the other synths (will none of them respond to volume changes; could be an issue since two of the synths are multi-timbral).

I have a feeling that the volume issue with the PRO-2 is a bug.