Pro 2 Oversensitive Aftertouch Curves

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

ruddydarter

Pro 2 Oversensitive Aftertouch Curves

Post by ruddydarter » Tue May 12, 2015 8:32 pm

I've recently got a Pro 2 and it doesn't stop to amaze me. However, I've noticed that the aftertouch bites a bit too early when holding a key. Just a bit of minimal pressure activates it. Also there is a noticeable jump in values and lack of resolution in the initial stage of the curve. It gets better and more precise after more pressure is applied. In my test I'm using aftertouch ----> osc1 frequency over one octave. I should be able to play chromatic scales with confidence just by applying pressure to any key as I can do on my DX7 keyboard.

I was wondering if the initial jump in values is due to the curve being a bit too steep near the starting point. I managed to overcome this by applying some recursive modulation combined with negative DC in the mod matrix but my method uses 2 extra modulation slots. I can live with it as it seems to work but would really appreciate a more elegant solution.

Would it be possible to add/modify the response curves to make it flatter/more exponential near the initial position in a future update?

Is there any physical trimpot on the aftertouch PCB that I could adjust to rise the threshold of AT activation so that it doesn't trigger unintentionally?

Many thanks,
Marcin

dcdcdcdc

Re: Pro 2 Oversensitive Aftertouch Curves

Post by dcdcdcdc » Wed May 13, 2015 12:45 pm

There are aftertouch curves in the Global settings. . . but they don't do much in my experience.

I completely agree with you and brought this issue up with DSI shortly after I bought my P2-- sent them midi data, etc. They confirmed it's normal behavior-- the a/t is relatively sensitive.

The aftertouch also lingers quite a bit-- it doesn't just come on fast, it also is sent long after note off. . . which makes it problematic as a midi controller (for me).

I end up doing the same thing you do-- burn up an aux envelope etc. in the mod matrix to "chill out" the aftertouch.

I still like the Pro2 overall, but the keyboard is one thing I wish were higher quality.

smerny

Post by smerny » Wed May 13, 2015 8:03 pm

I've noticed this as well. You are not alone.

ruddydarter

Post by ruddydarter » Wed May 13, 2015 9:15 pm

Good to know I don't have a faulty unit. It's getting better as I'm adjusting my technique for most applications while the more extreme settings benefit from routing the aftertouch to the amount of negative DC which in turn modulates the amount of aftertouch to the final destination to smooth things out without sacrificing the range, phew :wink: . Still would love to have a new response curve that starts very gently and gradually and then goes up faster when the key is further down pressing the AT strip.

I haven't opened my Pro 2 yet but if I don't hear from anyone who knows better, I will probably go on a hunt for the aftertouch trimpots. Even if I'm not going to touch anything just yet.

blewis

Post by blewis » Thu May 14, 2015 3:27 pm

smerny wrote:I've noticed this as well. You are not alone.
My first keybed was bad and they promptly sent a replacement free of charge. All cool.

My working keybed' after touch is too sensitive IMO. Way more sensitive than the Evolver MEK, Nord, Moog, and previous Virus KC. I often trigger it unintentionally.

I've auditioned all the other curves and I can't tell a difference between the "no where to be described" numeric settings.

ruddydarter

Post by ruddydarter » Thu May 14, 2015 10:30 pm

Sorry for being such a rookie but now I think there's no issue with the aftertouch on mine after all. I've been accustomed to the extremely resistant aftertouch on the old Yamaha DX synths and the more I play the Pro 2, the better I can handle its modern keyboard. I can now use the AT without any extra "treatments" in the mod matrix. My last session did not see any unintentional triggering.

This synth is really starting to sing to me. :D