Question About Paraphonic Mode

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

ARNK

Question About Paraphonic Mode

Post by ARNK » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Ok another noob question, but here goes..

When in paraphonic mode, should I be able to play one key at a time as well as multiple notes?

I've been watching Automatic Gainsay and he seems to play one note at a time without issue when in paraphonic mode.

When I'm in paraphonic mode, if I press a key several times in a row the volume varies.. or there will be no sound at all on certain presses.

Not sure what I'm missing about that. Volume is up on all four oscs & a waveshape is selected.

Thanks-

BobTheDog

Re: Question About Paraphonic Mode

Post by BobTheDog » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:24 pm

It's the way the amp env is used.

The amp envelope always works as usual on all of the oscillators.

In para mode the amp envelope is also used to vary the volume of each oscillator but they then still go through the main amp section and envelope.

So if you have an amp envelope with no sustain then you will not hear anything after the decay stage of the first key you hit.

To use para mode realistically you need sustain high up.

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:41 pm

In paraphonic mode I've started using Envelope 4 (with full sustain and high release) to control the VCA level. In the Mod Matrix I set the Fixed Mod 'VCA Env' to 0. This stops the VCA Envelope from controlling the VCA, leaving that role to Envelope 4. I then use the VCA Envelope to shape the way I want the individual oscillator notes to behave.

You can also do it by using a DC value of 127 on the VCA in the Mod Matrix rather than use Envelope 4. You still have to set VCA Env to 0 though.
Prophet'08 PE #3591 | Tetr4 #2088 | MEK PE #1180 | Jupiter 6 | Juno 60 | Moog Sub Phatty | MS-20 mini | random digital stuff

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Good tip!

I can't believe I didn't think of that, wood for the trees type ageing stupidity.

Thanks.

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:45 pm

To be honest, it was only reading your earlier post that made me think about how to do it better/properly. :)

I'm using the DC mod on the VCA now rather than the Envelope 4 method. Works perfectly. Made some lovely Aphex Twin styled pads that way and they're very playable. The more time I spend with the Pro 2, the more I love it.
Prophet'08 PE #3591 | Tetr4 #2088 | MEK PE #1180 | Jupiter 6 | Juno 60 | Moog Sub Phatty | MS-20 mini | random digital stuff

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:26 pm

Fuseball wrote:To be honest, it was only reading your earlier post that made me think about how to do it better/properly. :)

I'm using the DC mod on the VCA now rather than the Envelope 4 method. Works perfectly. Made some lovely Aphex Twin styled pads that way and they're very playable. The more time I spend with the Pro 2, the more I love it.

An even better idea!

ARNK

Post by ARNK » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback
BobTheDog wrote:So if you have an amp envelope with no sustain then you will not hear anything after the decay stage of the first key you hit.
Hmm, sustain is set to 127 :?
You can also do it by using a DC value of 127 on the VCA in the Mod Matrix rather than use Envelope 4. You still have to set VCA Env to 0 though.
You mean in the matrix set ... DC > 127 > VCA?

blewis

Post by blewis » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:29 pm

I'm having the opposite problem. I have infinitely sustained notes whenever any envelope controller the VCA has any sustain at all. It's like nothing is getting released.

The only way I can stop it is to turn on the sequencer (without hitting play). Then it works normally. Patch is Sad Strings.

The problem is in my live band, I'm synced to the bass player's Traktor track, and when he hits play, the damn sequencer starts (because I'm MIDI slaved to it) and the Pro2 goes ape shit because I can't disable Track 1 from taking full control over the synth (becoming increasingly annoying to me).

Is there a magic setting somewhere that would cause infinite sustain? Hold is OFF.

Perplexed. Hoping to figure this out before practice tomorrow so I don't have to re-wire MIDI cables just for one song.

Edit: Nevermind - I fixed it by creating the patch from scratch. Something was set strange somewhere and it was too complex for me to debug. Fixed it now.

computer controlled

Post by computer controlled » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:56 am

ARNK wrote:Ok another noob question, but here goes..

When in paraphonic mode, should I be able to play one key at a time as well as multiple notes?

I've been watching Automatic Gainsay and he seems to play one note at a time without issue when in paraphonic mode.

When I'm in paraphonic mode, if I press a key several times in a row the volume varies.. or there will be no sound at all on certain presses.

Not sure what I'm missing about that. Volume is up on all four oscs & a waveshape is selected.

Thanks-
I was having this issue too, then i realized the other Oscillators didn't have a waveform turned on. This fixed it =o]
Stuff: TB-3 | TR-8 | TT-303 | TR-626 | Pro 2 | Grendel Grenadier RA-9 | Volca Bass | SQ-1 Sequencer

ARNKUS

Post by ARNKUS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:04 am

Ah, yes. I didn't have the shape selected for osc 3 + 4 but have some other cool tips - thanks for the tips ya'll.