Pro 2 Sequencer Functionality Requests

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

soundxplorer

Re: Pro 2 Sequencer Functionality Requests

Post by soundxplorer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:11 am

blewis wrote: - the "Track1 takes over the synth" thing has driven me nuts and I've been a tart about it sometimes. Mainly because I need it to not do that for a particular track and I've spent hours frustrated trying to work around it.
Pym popped up on Gearslutz yesterday to say that disabling Track 1 will be implemented in an update after the P6 ships:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10861577-post2430.html

Ottorepeat

Post by Ottorepeat » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:05 am

"Clock divide" per track.
PRO2 + P12

elmquist

Post by elmquist » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Well there are two components that previously were present on this forum: (1) company involvement and (2) community members.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:40 pm

As this is not an official forum, and people don't react well to overtly negative and personal attacks, especially when those people are staff who are doing the best they can and probably in a difficult environment, to be quite honest I cannot blame them for leaving (number (1)).

Number (2) there are more people moaning then helping and this is by a large factor.

For me I am in awe of DSI for the instruments they produce, of course they are not perfect but I understand nothing ever is, but in the end this forum is doomed.

elmquist

Post by elmquist » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Watch this interview and smile - http://youtu.be/-Sp7jVtzEcM - competition is on its way! Modal Electronics will be having four to five products out by the end of the year. They do go for the more expensive part of the market so DSI may still be more value for money! But Modal Electronics do have five software developers!

DSI are doing great great designs and their instruments sound and look really well. All they need are more software developers! I too want DSI to do as well as they possibly can. But of cause that require an effort from themselves too. . o O ( what else is new!? )

And just a side notice on Modal Electronics ethernet connectivity: One day they will have their attention elsewhere and a nasty security bug in the Linux board they are using will have consequences for the owner of the instrument. Me thinks MIDI is a much safer interface type on the longer term. Only problem is supporting software!

cbmd

Post by cbmd » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:22 pm

As stated before, we can't always fit in every last feature before release. Paraphonic recording and disabling track 1 have been on our roadmap since before release. Sometimes, we have to wait a bit to figure out the best way to implement a feature instead of throwing it in last minute.

We have a list of items we would like to add and have compiled a list of potential features to be implemented. As Chris stated, we will be revisiting the Pro 2 OS in the near future.

It's also good to note that many around here seem to think that it is easy to implement features given the reprogrammable nature of our instruments. However, adding certain features is not trivial and we do not want to add undue feature creep/bloat unless the interface can accommodate and handle the feature in a cohesive and elegant fashion. If we were to add every single feature mentioned by a user, we would end up with a synth like this:

Carson Day
Technical Support
Dave Smith Instruments

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:29 pm

namnibor wrote:de-cripple the Pro 2 sequencer.
Can we just agree to stop using hyperbole like this? The sequencer on my Pro 2 works great, it can do a lot of cool things and is far from being "crippled" as you suggest.

Sure, there are a few improvements that would be really nice - the biggest of which appears to be slated for the update later this spring/summer (turning track 1 off so other modulation tracks can be "free running" in the background). But even as it is right now I'm having a blast with this synth.

elmquist

Post by elmquist » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:35 pm

cbmd wrote:If we were to add every single feature mentioned by a user, we would end up with a synth like this:
That problem are seen in other areas as well. An elephant is simply a mouse build to military specifications! ;-)

As for features: Any plans to add user waves and wave sequencing on Prophet 12 and Pro2?

dcdcdcdc

Post by dcdcdcdc » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:48 pm

cbmd wrote:If we were to add every single feature mentioned by a user, we would end up with a synth like this:

But. . . you ARE going to put a megaphone on top of it. . . right?

:)

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:32 pm

cbmd wrote:As stated before, we can't always fit in every last feature before release. Paraphonic recording and disabling track 1 have been on our roadmap since before release. Sometimes, we have to wait a bit to figure out the best way to implement a feature instead of throwing it in last minute.

We have a list of items we would like to add and have compiled a list of potential features to be implemented. As Chris stated, we will be revisiting the Pro 2 OS in the near future.

It's also good to note that many around here seem to think that it is easy to implement features given the reprogrammable nature of our instruments. However, adding certain features is not trivial and we do not want to add undue feature creep/bloat unless the interface can accommodate and handle the feature in a cohesive and elegant fashion. If we were to add every single feature mentioned by a user, we would end up with a synth like this:

Looks good but I can't believe you got the colour wrong there! My musical ability is severely hampered by green, I'm a blue sort of guy.

Maybe you should allow us to upload our own colours, or better still open source it to allow me to use one of the many quality programmers/designers/experts (who don't earn a penny/cent from their super skills) to make your products better.

How hard can it be ;)

Signifier

Post by Signifier » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:28 pm

Back to functionality requests: I love the upcoming Vermona 14's feature to record the arp into the sequencer track. It'd be great to see this on the Pro2. Can't see it being too challenging to program either. Thx!

computer controlled

Post by computer controlled » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:58 am

I'm really surprised Paraphonic Recording wasn't implemented right away. This seems like a no brainer. There shouldn't be any thought involved in this, just make the sequencer able to record phonically. They could do it in 1983 easy enough =o]

Being able to repeat steps would also be a welcome feature, like on the RYK M-185 or the Intellijel Metropolis.

As it is, the sequencer isn't even CLOSE to being crippled!
Stuff: TB-3 | TR-8 | TT-303 | TR-626 | Pro 2 | Grendel Grenadier RA-9 | Volca Bass | SQ-1 Sequencer

Marten

Post by Marten » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:20 pm

elmquist wrote:Watch this interview and smile - http://youtu.be/-Sp7jVtzEcM - competition is on its way! Modal Electronics will be having four to five products out by the end of the year. They do go for the more expensive part of the market so DSI may still be more value for money! But Modal Electronics do have five software developers!

DSI are doing great great designs and their instruments sound and look really well. All they need are more software developers! I too want DSI to do as well as they possibly can. But of cause that require an effort from themselves too. . o O ( what else is new!? )

And just a side notice on Modal Electronics ethernet connectivity: One day they will have their attention elsewhere and a nasty security bug in the Linux board they are using will have consequences for the owner of the instrument. Me thinks MIDI is a much safer interface type on the longer term. Only problem is supporting software!
Modal seems really good at firmware updates, he said the newest beta was about 14MB in size which will ad multitimbrality. They are passionate about making it as good as they can. And Amos from Moog is emailing me the latest betas for the Sub37.

The Pro 2 is well made and a really good synth that can be great, I hope that dsi don't lack vision to bring out functionallity that can make it an outstanding synth, not just thinking about releasing new products and to do as little as possible with the products that have been released.

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:19 pm

Just got my Pro 2!

There's 2 things which may or may not have been mentioned.

1. A dial-able shuffle parameter so you can incrementally add shuffle to the sequencer or arpeggiator. This is on the dominion 1 and looks very useful.

2. A very simple left and right button for moving through the sequencer steps - I find it annoying clicking on the numbered steps every time I want to change a parameter. The soft buttons aren't occupied and could serve the purpose perfectly (if there's a way to do this please let me know!)

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm a bit stuck with this.

Could someone please let me know if it is possible to use the sequencer and arpeggiator when processing external audio?

I'm not sure if it is possible but would be extremely useful!

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:53 pm

jobinho wrote:Could someone please let me know if it is possible to use the sequencer and arpeggiator when processing external audio?
Sure it is. The External Audio Input simply gets inserted into the audio path at the Oscillator Mixer section along with the other oscillators. If you want to hear just the external audio, turn down the level of the oscillators (or turn their waveforms off). Plugging in external audio does not change anything about the arpeggiator or sequencer, they will still function. But remember that your external audio is basically just being ran through the Character, Filter, VCA, and Delay sections, so sequencer data going to those sections will affect what you are hearing. You can't use the sequencer or arp to affect the pitch of incoming audio if that's what you're after.

Marten

Post by Marten » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:01 am

Many great request have been made.
Being able to disable/enable each track. That way you can turn on and off modulations.

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:34 pm

Is it possible to affect the note order of sequences with LFOs by setting them as modulation destinations? Sorry for posts on this in multiple threads, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

easyjoey

Post by easyjoey » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:52 pm

A random and probability function would be awesome. I have been using the new Arturia Beat Step Pro and using those two functions really add a lot of fun and surprise to the sequence. Many times it will play something I never would have thought of.

Thanks

Joe