Pro 2 Sequencer Functionality Requests

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Playrecords

Re: Pro 2 Sequencer Functionality Requests

Post by Playrecords » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi

Was/am about to pull the trigger but decided to make a few things clear first and noticed this thread....

So am I right in thinking that if I sequence an external synth via cv (or midi) I can't play a chord? Or I should say, I can only play in mono albeit via a sequencer workaround? (Whilst sequencing)

That's exactly what I wanted to do with my modular via the fx.... So if not I guess I'll be waiting for this to be changed before i buy. Surely one of the big selling points of a sequencing synth like this is playing and sequencing at the same time?

Cheers

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Playrecords wrote:Hi

Was/am about to pull the trigger but decided to make a few things clear first and noticed this thread....

So am I right in thinking that if I sequence an external synth via cv (or midi) I can't play a chord? Or I should say, I can only play in mono albeit via a sequencer workaround? (Whilst sequencing)

That's exactly what I wanted to do with my modular via the fx.... So if not I guess I'll be waiting for this to be changed before i buy. Surely one of the big selling points of a sequencing synth like this is playing and sequencing at the same time?

Cheers
You are correct. At present there is no way to disable the sequencer track 1, which is hardwired to the Pro 2's internal pitch/gate. As a result of this, you can't get the other sequencer tracks (potentially controlling external gear via CV or MIDI) to run in the background while you 'play' the Pro 2 over the top of it… which is exactly what I would like to do with the sequencer.

I'm hoping that a forthcoming update will add this flexibility to the sequencer.
Prophet'08 PE #3591 | Tetr4 #2088 | MEK PE #1180 | Jupiter 6 | Juno 60 | Moog Sub Phatty | MS-20 mini | random digital stuff

Playrecords

Post by Playrecords » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:07 pm

Fuseball wrote:
Playrecords wrote:Hi

Cheers
You are correct. At present there is no way to disable the sequencer track 1, which is hardwired to the Pro 2's internal pitch/gate. As a result of this, you can't get the other sequencer tracks (potentially controlling external gear via CV or MIDI) to run in the background while you 'play' the Pro 2 over the top of it… which is exactly what I would like to do with the sequencer.

I'm hoping that a forthcoming update will add this flexibility to the sequencer.
Ahh ok, gutted but glad I realised this before I ordered :shock:

Never have I been so eager to have it wrong. I don't understand that decision at all. My A4 appears to be top of the league again. :!:

Edit - I've played the waiting game for updates before and it didn't end positively. Tho I don't think I've ever wanted a synth this much. :oops:

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Playrecords wrote:Ahh ok, gutted but glad I realised this before I ordered :shock:

Never have I been so eager to have it wrong. I don't understand that decision at all. My A4 appears to be top of the league again. :!:

Edit - I've played the waiting game for updates before and it didn't end positively. Tho I don't think I've ever wanted a synth this much. :oops:
It is frustrating as the synth voice itself is quite remarkable. The sequencer and mod matrix promises so much flexibility but, at present, offers quite the opposite. All the hardware is there in place to potentially be everything that DSI claim. It's just software that's lacking right now.

From the things Carson has said, it's definitely on their radar. How far they will go in making it a truly flexible control hub for CV-based setups is up to them I guess. :?
Prophet'08 PE #3591 | Tetr4 #2088 | MEK PE #1180 | Jupiter 6 | Juno 60 | Moog Sub Phatty | MS-20 mini | random digital stuff

Playrecords

Post by Playrecords » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:13 pm

Thought I was gonna have a new pal for the weekend.... Oh well it's for the best I guess.

Would have been ultra gutted if I missed this before I ordered. It's jus not something Id had have thought to check tbh but I made that mistake with the tempest so was sure to read through the posts here first.

Thanks for your replies fuseball.

Actually now considering a P12 (I know, I know) because I've seen one selling local for similar cash as the P2!! Then I could flip it for the same cash as a p2 anyway should this limit be lifted. :) Off I go to that forum.

Peaz

EDIT - I understand the p2/12 differences but the P2 was Potentialy gonna replace my A4 if it was up to it.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:14 pm

Playrecords wrote:Thought I was gonna have a new pal for the weekend.... Oh well it's for the best I guess.

Would have been ultra gutted if I missed this before I ordered. It's jus not something Id had have thought to check tbh but I made that mistake with the tempest so was sure to read through the posts here first.

Actually now considering a P12 (I know, I know) because I've seen one selling local for similar cash as the P2!! Then I could flip it for the same cash as a p2 anyway should this limit be lifted. :) Off I go to that forum.

Peaz

EDIT - I understand the p2/12 differences but the P2 was Potentialy gonna replace my A4 if it was up to it.
Surely the P2 and the A4 are totally different beasts. How could either of them replace the other?

Playrecords

Post by Playrecords » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:31 am

BobTheDog wrote:
Playrecords wrote:Thought I was gonna have a new pal for the weekend.... Oh well it's for the best I guess.

Peaz

Surely the P2 and the A4 are totally different beasts. How could either of them replace the other?
.... There not totally different if were simply talking of 2 synths that can sequence CVs and play keys at the same time (please spare me the spec comparison).... if your genuinely interested tho :wink: Im after a change of vibe in that department. Ive only really been using the sequencer of the A4 on my more recent stuff and wanted to see if the pro 2 could measure up to my needs as an alternative.... Tbf I'm not talking of swapping a delay for a reverb or expecting them to be the same beast.... :)

EDIT - im still very keen on the p2 tho for everything it does offer....

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:48 pm

The Pro2 sequencer is in no way a substitute for the A4 Sequencer, it does output midi though. The P2 sequencer at the moment is good for recording a single mono sequence and adding tracks of modulation to that sequence. You can manually program other note sequences but it is a bit of a pain in the arse.

The CV stuff on the Pro 2 is good though, you can map nearly anything to the CV outs easily including the oscillators. So in general it is much more advanced than the A4. And of course there are the CV ins to control anything in the P2 from CV.

I am hopeful that the P2 will get some serious updates to the sequencer but this is not in anyway a definite thing.

Playrecords

Post by Playrecords » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi Bob thanks for the Infos

I wasn't actually asking should I or shouldn't I swap.... Tho I don't use every feature of the Elektron sequencer I am aware there different.... I have plans for a stand slone sequencer that will replace the Elektron one so loosing those extra features could Potentially not be so painful. I'm currently working on slimming my setup to the essentials I need to a work effectively so am trying a few different things.

I'll keep a close eye here

Cheers

Playrecords

Post by Playrecords » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi

Jus thinking and wondering Is it possible to sequence reset points with another sequence? This would be amazing and offer the ability to for eg loop the first 16 steps 3 times then play the the second.... Maybe the ability to sequence cue'd patterns?

sequencing start points of the sequencer? :)

Playrecords

Post by Playrecords » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:03 pm

^

Realising now You can get some of this functionality utilising the cv ins.... So I could send a sequencer out via CV to the input. :shock:

Thinkin an official/in depth tips n tricks thread would be a great help for potential users as the possible features seem to exceed the modest manual. Not a bad thing Tho. :)

Playrecords

Post by Playrecords » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:30 pm

^ realising the potential I posted above (that may be obvious to most) has really got me thinkin differently about the usefulness of the sequencer with my setup....

EDIT - Would be great if these less obvious settings could be saved as a global but I'm thinking that template patches are how you get around having to keep redoing it.... (DC offsets etc)

Marten

Post by Marten » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:28 pm

It would be nice with ratcheting and swing, Moog sub 37 has that in the forthcoming v1.1 firmware. It's in beta and you can chose one note to be ratched from 1 to 8 times, nice. I hope dsi do make the most of the sequencer. I just feel that they don't seem to like making the product better with firmware, the updates are to far apart.

Amos the firmware guy from moog was at namm this year with the sub 37, just to talk about the forthcoming firmware. It means alot for the users that a company cares about the product they sell, and especially for a creative product like this. And i'm sure they would sell more synths if they talked in forums about forthcoming firmware and not be silent, they have bugs to be fixed but they dont know when they will fix them...

The Pro 2 is a nice synth, just fix bugs quicker and be creative to add more futures, moog does it the right way. DSI are fast when responding to mail, but they really should hire a guy that like to make firmware.

Playrecords

Post by Playrecords » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:27 pm

Marten wrote:you can chose one note to be ratched
Sounds like a powerful feature considering it isn't "the most powerful sequencer to ever be put in a synth".... :wink:

EDIT - Seriously Tho, it would be ace to hear from DSI on the future of PRO 1s sequencer....

Marten

Post by Marten » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:40 pm

I just gave an example, in moog sub 37 you use the bank/patterns buttons. I've just got the beta a few hours ago from amos, so if you select one button you can have that one repeat up to 8 times, you have 64 notes to choose where you want to have a ratchet. You can also use the arpmodes on the seq. Nice!

Yes it would be ace, it's a really good sequenser. It would be nice to be able to use more tracks for notes.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:10 pm

Marten wrote:Yes it would be ace, it's a really good sequenser. It would be nice to be able to use more tracks for notes.
You can use the sequencer in duophonic mode and even enter the 2nd oscillator's note without altering the 1st oscillator's note. More notes are of course impossible due to the Sub 37's architecture - it's not a poly or x-voice paraphonic synth after all. Its sequencer, though, has become very flexible, I agree. I like the ratchet function too. It's fun to use when being controlled by sample & hold. Also, making use of the arp functionality in sequencer mode (backwards/forwards, invert, octave range) is a huge plus.

Marten

Post by Marten » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:22 pm

You can use the sequencer in duophonic mode and even enter the 2nd oscillator's note without altering the 1st oscillator's note. More notes are of course impossible due to the Sub 37's architecture - it's not a poly or x-voice paraphonic synth after all. Its sequencer, though, has become very flexible, I agree. I like the ratchet function too. It's fun to use when being controlled by sample & hold. Also, making use of the arp functionality in sequencer mode (backwards/forwards, invert, octave range) is a huge plus
Yes i know about the Sub 37, what you quoted was about the Pro 2 and the ability to use the Pro 2's seq to be able to use all the four voices on 4 tracks, like you use the first track by playing the keyboard.

I wasn't clear enough, sorry about that. It was a reply to the user Playrecords.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:44 pm

Marten wrote:
You can use the sequencer in duophonic mode and even enter the 2nd oscillator's note without altering the 1st oscillator's note. More notes are of course impossible due to the Sub 37's architecture - it's not a poly or x-voice paraphonic synth after all. Its sequencer, though, has become very flexible, I agree. I like the ratchet function too. It's fun to use when being controlled by sample & hold. Also, making use of the arp functionality in sequencer mode (backwards/forwards, invert, octave range) is a huge plus
Yes i know about the Sub 37, what you quoted was about the Pro 2 and the ability to use the Pro 2's seq to be able to use all the four voices on 4 tracks, like you use the first track by playing the keyboard.

I wasn't clear enough, sorry about that. It was a reply to the user Playrecords.
Ah, okay. Sorry for the misinterpretation.
Back to the Pro 2: As I understand it, it's definitely on DSI's radar to enable paraphonic recording on the Pro 2.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:19 pm

Well, I'd assume they have been collecting bug reports since the Pro 2 has been released. Now they are probably adding finishing touches to the Prophet-6, and once that is done, Pym will focus on the Pro 2's firmware.

Let's be fair: The major sequencer updates for the Sub 37 have been announced exactly one year after the Sub 37 has been announced. If DSI are planning to update the Pro 2's sequencer functionality to an almost similar degree (I know that both instruments are hard to compare), it should be okay if they take their time until summer too (one year after the announcement of the Pro 2). Basically, Carson stated nothing else on here than Amos did at this year's NAMM, which is that sometimes you don't manage to squeeze everything in until the release deadline. That alone tells me that DSI is aware of the fact that the Pro 2's sequencer potential can be expanded.

blewis

Post by blewis » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:44 am

Some thoughts on the comparisons:
- sub37 has had 6 OS patches put out already. Pro2 has had 1. Maybe the Sub37 had a rougher start and the Pro2 was more stable out of the box?
- due to resources, Amos has also not been able to give Sub Phatty Poly Chain and that's been discussed for nearly a year. This problem is not unique to DSI. But Pym sure has a shitload of products to support.
- DSI support: Mark, Carson, and Pym have been quite helpful.
- I've not seen people be complete A-holes to Amos like they are to Pym and Carson. Just an observation, no conclusion implied.
- some Moog products have even more support needed with their GUI editors. I don't care, but where's the Sub37 editor? Pro2 is missing an entire level of support there.
- the "Track1 takes over the synth" thing has driven me nuts and I've been a tart about it sometimes. Mainly because I need it to not do that for a particular track and I've spent hours frustrated trying to work around it.
- some pretty basic bugs are present in Pro2's OS1.10 (see thread).
- not a huge deal, but becomes annoying if I can't free up a mixer input because the mono global param doesn't work. Will I really have to wait until the Prophet6 ships before I can disconnect that cable? Again, not the end of the world, there's a knob for panning the delays., but basic, seemingly easy fixes drawing out due to product overload can get concerning.
- CV scaling would be nice. Will I fry my Minitaur 5v inputs will a 10v gate? DC offset doesn't work on the gate output does it?
- Amos rocks
- Pym rocks
- Carson rocks
- Mark rocks

Cool?