Pro 2 Sequencer Functionality Requests

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Fuseball

Pro 2 Sequencer Functionality Requests

Post by Fuseball » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:02 pm

I love the 'voice' of the Pro 2, which seems extremely well designed, but I feel the sequencer could hugely benefit from further development. All the hardware is there to make it supremely flexible but there's no way to unlock a lot of that power at present. So, what functionality would we like, as a community, to see added to the Pro 2 sequencer?

From scanning through the other threads, this is what I've come up with…

1. The ability to disable sequencer track 1 but still have the sequencer triggered and run as normal, so that modulation sequences can be run without note data and external devices can be controlled by the sequencer whilst playing the Pro 2's voice independently..

2. The ability to sequence each oscillator pitch independently to note values (as with the Pitch knob)

3. The ability to copy and paste sequencer tracks. Perhaps use soft buttons 1 and 2 for Copy and Paste respectively when holding down the track select button?

4. The ability to direct sequencer track 1 to multiple MIDI destinations via the mod matrix.

5. The ability to sequence a CC value on an external synth via MIDI. I appreciate this might be difficult/impossible from the point of view of managing a potentially enormous number of destinations.

6. The ability to set the gate length when triggering external synths via both CV and MIDI.

7. When triggering external synths via MIDI I am getting a lot of hung notes when stopping the sequencer. I would like the sequencer to always send the relevant Note Off message when stopping or key re-triggering the sequencer. At present it's impossible to use reliably.

What else am I missing from this list?
Prophet'08 PE #3591 | Tetr4 #2088 | MEK PE #1180 | Jupiter 6 | Juno 60 | Moog Sub Phatty | MS-20 mini | random digital stuff

dcdcdcdc

Re: Pro 2 Sequencer Functionality Requests

Post by dcdcdcdc » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:26 pm

I'm with you 100% on your suggestions-- especially 3 and 4-- and would add

*Fix cue/playlist so we can cycle between sequences during live performance without losing sync

*Allow input from the keyboard to all tracks / values-- we should be able to record notes and/or mod values from the keyboard, not just for the pitch on track 1

*More control over existing gate out, and ability to configure other cv outs as gates-- as a dedicated setting (or preset)

elmquist

Post by elmquist » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:36 pm

Wave shape sequencing. Its partially possible using the Shape Mod destination for the oscillators. Being able to select oscillator wave shapes for each sequence step would be much more expressive. And yeah, the Evolver can do it!

cbmd

Post by cbmd » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:05 pm

Fuseball wrote: 1. The ability to disable sequencer track 1 but still have the sequencer triggered and run as normal, so that modulation sequences can be run without note data and external devices can be controlled by the sequencer whilst playing the Pro 2's voice independently..
If I'm not mistaken, you can do this by simply tying track 1 step 1 to the last step in the sequence.

Check it out!
Carson Day
Technical Support
Dave Smith Instruments

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:30 am

cbmd wrote:
Fuseball wrote: 1. The ability to disable sequencer track 1 but still have the sequencer triggered and run as normal, so that modulation sequences can be run without note data and external devices can be controlled by the sequencer whilst playing the Pro 2's voice independently..
If I'm not mistaken, you can do this by simply tying track 1 step 1 to the last step in the sequence.

Check it out!
Thanks Carson. I'll try that and see what happens!
Prophet'08 PE #3591 | Tetr4 #2088 | MEK PE #1180 | Jupiter 6 | Juno 60 | Moog Sub Phatty | MS-20 mini | random digital stuff

yogi

Post by yogi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:00 pm

Hello,

a switchable key-follow function for the tracks 2-16 also would be useful
(at least I didn't find until now), and a Hz/V option for the CV outs.

Marten

Post by Marten » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:46 pm

It would be cool if the sequencer could have some of the features of the metropolis eurorack 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylWiuqC9YsU

blewis

Post by blewis » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:51 am

cbmd wrote:

Check it out!
I don't think this works on paraphonic patches specifically. Track1 while tied and following the keyboard affects all OSCs. Thus a paraphonic patch becomes mono.

I've scratched my head on this for a couple of hours and can't get what I want and expect. Would be better if we could just disable track1 from controlling the oscillators all together. As in Track1 OFF

Edit: Just confirmed your suggestion works for Mono, but it defeats the Paraphonic Key Assign setting in Misc Params. Thus a sweet paraphonic patch I want to modulate just the Feedback Tune and Feedback Amount on, gets clobbered by Track1 and the whole patch idea dies. So disabling Track1's is the best option IMO. Evolver can do it. Pro 2 should be able too.

cbmd

Post by cbmd » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:00 am

yes it only works in mono at the moment, we know dis!

And yes, you can disable the sequencer in this way on the Evolver....the big "but" is that the Evolver cannot be triggered paraphonically...comparing the Pro 2 and Evolver is not quite apples to apples.

Stay calm all, Paraphonic recording and playback is most certainly on our radar, sometimes you just can't squeeze every last feature in and still maintain a reasonable release timeline.
Carson Day
Technical Support
Dave Smith Instruments

C.S.Dcairney

Post by C.S.Dcairney » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:11 am

Its good to know you guys are working on it! 8)
MOPHO 2074, TETR4 01331

blewis

Post by blewis » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:25 am

cbmd wrote:yes it only works in mono at the moment, we know dis!

Stay calm all
Right on. Thanks for the update. Good vibes for NAMM.

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:48 pm

blewis wrote:
cbmd wrote:

Check it out!
I don't think this works on paraphonic patches specifically. Track1 while tied and following the keyboard affects all OSCs. Thus a paraphonic patch becomes mono.

I've scratched my head on this for a couple of hours and can't get what I want and expect. Would be better if we could just disable track1 from controlling the oscillators all together. As in Track1 OFF

Edit: Just confirmed your suggestion works for Mono, but it defeats the Paraphonic Key Assign setting in Misc Params. Thus a sweet paraphonic patch I want to modulate just the Feedback Tune and Feedback Amount on, gets clobbered by Track1 and the whole patch idea dies. So disabling Track1's is the best option IMO. Evolver can do it. Pro 2 should be able too.
The other thing it doesn't work for is if you wish to have the sequencer triggered by clock (either internal or external) while you play over the top of it (monophonically or paraphonically). For example I would love to use it to sequence an external synth that way while I play the Pro 2's voice over the top. At present, using the tie method, it only works if the sequence is retriggered on key presses.

Anyway, it's great to hear that the sequencer is on the development radar. :)

tinybox

Post by tinybox » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:16 am

If a "CV Note" destination would be added it could enable the Note Track for sequencer when playing with modular VCOs. It's hard finding the correct notes with the Value Track.

dcdcdcdc

Post by dcdcdcdc » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:01 pm

Remembered one more:

*Ability to mute / turn on & off sequencer tracks. So you can turn on and off sequencer modulations.

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:17 pm

dcdcdcdc wrote:Remembered one more:

*Ability to mute / turn on & off sequencer tracks. So you can turn on and off sequencer modulations.
If you could do that as a mode where you hold something down ('sequencer' button or 'step 1-16' button perhaps?) and then toggle the tracks on or off using the step buttons, that would be amazingly useful and great for live performance.

computer controlled

Post by computer controlled » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:19 am

Paraphonic sequencing (already covered, i know). If the JX-3P can do it, the Pro 2 most certainly can =o]
Easier way to trigger the sequencer via analog triggers.
Universal Glide function. The ability to have glide on all the time rather than per-step only. If that makes any sense =o/
Allow tied notes to tie to upper or lower notes and slide to those notes, like on the SH-101.
Stuff: TB-3 | TR-8 | TT-303 | TR-626 | Pro 2 | Grendel Grenadier RA-9 | Volca Bass | SQ-1 Sequencer

neoguiri

Post by neoguiri » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:37 am

I vote for this!!! It could be amazing... Should not be difficult to implement i guess?!

With this and the proposal on top of thread this can be the most powerfull sequencer ever...
Marten wrote:It would be cool if the sequencer could have some of the features of the metropolis eurorack 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylWiuqC9YsU

jilsk

Post by jilsk » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:38 am

I would like to see a way to chain program sequences together, like on the evolver desk top (hold shift and change programs, while the sequencer is playing).

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:44 pm

jilsk wrote:I would like to see a way to chain program sequences together, like on the evolver desk top (hold shift and change programs, while the sequencer is playing).
Cant you do that already with Cue/Play list?

dcdcdcdc

Post by dcdcdcdc » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:38 pm

BobTheDog wrote: Cant you do that already with Cue/Play list?
Should be able to, but it doesn't work correctly yet. . . . see the "bugs" thread.

I'm sure they'll fix, but really hope they get to it soon. . .