Pro 2 Feature Requests

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

User avatar
Daj
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:46 am
Location: Australia

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by Daj » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:26 am

jbox5 wrote:
Benzebub wrote:It would be awesome if there was an option to have the envelopes restart from zero upon triggering
Ooh yes - I was playing around with it yesterday and noticed that I couldn't do this. Would really like this as an option.
The Sub37: Envelopes: dahdsr envelopes with multi-trigger, reset, looping, midi sync, latch, and variable control of eg delay, hold, velocity amount, kb tracking. :shock:
I love the looping on Sub37 - created some wicked patches that continually evolve on there own by just using the Envelopes.

Would be great if the Pro2 could do the same Envelopes options :P
Pro2, Tempest

Moo
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by Moo » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:04 pm

NewsFromTheSky wrote:
blewis wrote:A seemingly absurd request for a _mono synth_, but how about keyboard split between the two MIDI outputs?

It's consistent with its use as a controller. I can send one channel to a bass synth and have 4 upper register poly/paraphony notes.
Keyboard splits would also allow you to make it duophonic, by putting the filters in Osc Split mode, and sending two different zones to different oscillators & filters.
Yeah that's what I thought of as soon as I found out about about being able to have two oscillators on one filter and the other two on the other... With keyboard split, you could effectively have two independent sounds with two oscs and one filter each.
tinybox wrote:* Bigger ranges on all parameters (0-127 on most parameters doesn't cut it even with smoothing between steps)
I was surprised when I saw that... Even 256 seems "retro" (not in a good way...) to me... 128 may be good for MIDI, and 256 for simplicity/cost reasons(?), but for the price, and when the "analogue" aspect of a synth is being pushed, they seem very "clunky".

Smelvisgod
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by Smelvisgod » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:28 pm

I would love if you could copy/paste a sequence from one program to another. I often find a sequence of notes I like, but then I want to audition different starting point sounds to find one that best suits the sequence. I don't believe you can do this on the Pro 2 as of now.

slirak
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by slirak » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Already mentioned:
* Polyphonic sequence record (onto track 1)
* The ability to record pitch data just like you can with track 1, on up to three additional tracks
* The ability to turn off track 1's control of the internal oscillators (while sending the recorded note data to assignable CV outs or MIDI channels)

In addition to that:
* The ability to send trig/gate from pitched sequencer tracks as outlined above, to assignable CV outs
* Stereo spread for the oscillators, like in the Mopho x4

* A shortcut to the init program, perhaps holding Program and pressing Write? I always prefer to start from scratch and it's a bit tedious to go into Global and scroll to 31 all the time. Yeah, I know, I'm lazy! 8)
EDIT
--------
And literally seconds later, I learn about the [Latch 1] + [Hold] patch reset shortcut... :D


* The ability to use the keyboard to input characters when naming programs, like in the Moog Voyager. This is really handy! The lowest notes are used to control the cursor and to switch case and to switch to numbers/symbols, the rest handles the actual characters.

User avatar
elmquist
Posts: 3121
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by elmquist » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:34 pm

slirak wrote:* Stereo spread for the oscillators, like in the Mopho x4
The trouble is that the analog signal path in the filters are mono so there is no way to stereo pan the oscillators even in paraphonic mode. Stereo panning of the oscillators requires either a polyphonic synthesizer or two pairs of filters just like on the Evolver series. Pro2 is just a single voice with paraphonic features.

slirak
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by slirak » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:44 pm

elmquist wrote:
slirak wrote:* Stereo spread for the oscillators, like in the Mopho x4
The trouble is that the analog signal path in the filters are mono so there is no way to stereo pan the oscillators even in paraphonic mode. Stereo panning of the oscillators requires either a polyphonic synthesizer or two pairs of filters just like on the Evolver series. Pro2 is just a single voice with paraphonic features.
:oops: Pretty obvious really. I blame a slight hangover. :)

User avatar
puppets
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:56 am

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by puppets » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Things I have noticed that I really miss coming from the old Vintage CV/Gate era, I would like to be able to:

* Transpose the notes on the keyboard when triggering envelopes via CV in
* Transpose the sequence when triggering it via CV in
* Adding rests when programming the sequencer with the keyboard i.e. pressing that step button or something like that.

Another non CV related feature request,

* In the LFO section, when choosing S&H as waveform and chose wave "reset" it should sample a new value each time a key is pressed instead of reseting from the same value all the time. (for the other waveforms that makes sense but not for the s&h it is supposed to be random :-) )

//Jonas
Prophet~5, Drumtraks, Poly-Sequencer, Prophet '08, Pro 2, MoPho and Prophet~V,
Prophetate the world of music...

User avatar
Signifier
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by Signifier » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:23 pm

I'd like to see an adjustable attack time on the delay menu to get rid of those annoying clicks.

dbjungle
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:17 am

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by dbjungle » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:49 pm

Just got my Pro 2 on Friday (2 days ago). I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned or I'm missing something, but I would love to be able to copy all settings of an OSC to another OSC or all 4.

soundxplorer
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:30 pm

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Signifier wrote:I'd like to see an adjustable attack time on the delay menu to get rid of those annoying clicks.
Can you explain further? Are you talking about the Digital Delay effects section, or the envelope section?
dbjungle wrote:Just got my Pro 2 on Friday (2 days ago). I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned or I'm missing something, but I would love to be able to copy all settings of an OSC to another OSC or all 4.
Copy would be nice, but you can edit the same parameter for all 4 OSC at once if you want. Press and hold one of the oscillator select buttons to go into "edit all" mode (page 15 of the manual). Not the same as "copy" but useful.

dbjungle
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:17 am

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by dbjungle » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:05 pm

soundxplorer wrote:Copy would be nice, but you can edit the same parameter for all 4 OSC at once if you want. Press and hold one of the oscillator select buttons to go into "edit all" mode (page 15 of the manual). Not the same as "copy" but useful.
Thanks. I've already been using this quite a bit. Unfortunately it can't change parameters on all OSCs at once if they don't have a dedicated knob. Paging through each parameter is a little tedious, but it's definitely better than nothing. Still loving this keyboard. This is my first DSI board so I have no idea what to expect as far as OS updates go.

User avatar
BobTheDog
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by BobTheDog » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:22 pm

dbjungle wrote:
soundxplorer wrote:Copy would be nice, but you can edit the same parameter for all 4 OSC at once if you want. Press and hold one of the oscillator select buttons to go into "edit all" mode (page 15 of the manual). Not the same as "copy" but useful.
Thanks. I've already been using this quite a bit. Unfortunately it can't change parameters on all OSCs at once if they don't have a dedicated knob. Paging through each parameter is a little tedious, but it's definitely better than nothing. Still loving this keyboard. This is my first DSI board so I have no idea what to expect as far as OS updates go.

Yes you can, use the "Hold: Edit All" button (soft button 1). Hold it down and change a param and it changes for all oscs.

Subidiom
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:24 am

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by Subidiom » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Really exciting just reading through all of these feature suggestions, just considering how much better an already great instrument could become!

my requests:

1. Add DC offset as a global parameter to better interface with standard CV voltages, and not have to fiddle with another modulation source at the patch level.

2. This might require different hardware, but automatically sum the L/R outputs into mono when only a single output is connected. It's a pain to remember to set and unset the global parameter when running mono.

3. Frankly, any features that improve the usability of the Pro 2 as a CV controller

4. All of the previously mentioned sequencer enhancements!

soundxplorer
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:30 pm

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by soundxplorer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:04 pm

NewsFromTheSky wrote:
blewis wrote: Keyboard splits would also allow you to make it duophonic, by putting the filters in Osc Split mode, and sending two different zones to different oscillators & filters.
A 2-Voice feature would be awesome, with or without a keyboard split. Having both modes would be cool though.

As pointed out, all of the building blocks are there with the OSC Split function, two Filters, and two Filter ENVs. There's really only one small catch, and that is the fact that every key press triggers both Envelopes. I would think this behavior could be changed in the software. By adding a 2-Voice feature, you could have key presses trigger the two Filter ENVs individually. Then use a DC offset to hold the VCA open and you've essentially achieved "true" 2-Voice polyphony.

In non-split mode, the first key press would sound OSC 1&2 and trigger Filter 1 ENV.
Second key press would trigger OSC 3&4 and Filter 2 ENV.
Then just alternate from there.

Keyboard split mode would obviously not alternate, it would just trigger one or the other from the designated area.

User avatar
Trevor Refix
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:27 am
Contact:

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by Trevor Refix » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:19 pm

It would be really cool if filter 1 key track was an assignable mod in the sequencer. The only thing I miss from my A4 is that it allowed you to plock the key tracking and create some really cool melodies within a sound / sweep.
https://soundcloud.com/textureandlight [electronic dream rock band]
https://soundcloud.com/trevorrefixmervyn [hardware based solo adventures]

blewis
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by blewis » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:52 pm

Subidiom wrote:2. This might require different hardware, but automatically sum the L/R outputs into mono when only a single output is connected. It's a pain to remember to set and unset the global parameter when running mono
That would be nice. It's an additional pain that the Global Mono parameter _doesn't work_. See OS1.1.0 bugs thread.

User avatar
snowcrash
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by snowcrash » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:54 am

Trevor Refix wrote:It would be really cool if filter 1 key track was an assignable mod in the sequencer. The only thing I miss from my A4 is that it allowed you to plock the key tracking and create some really cool melodies within a sound / sweep.
Why not sequence the filter cutoff directly? Keytracking only makes things more complicated and all it does is control cutoff relative to the note. Besides the sequencer on DSI machines works relative anyway, not absolute to parameters like it does on Elektron machines. Give it a try!
Desktop Evolver, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Minimoog Voyager OS, KORG MS20 Mini, Arturia Minibrute, Bass Station II, Roland SH101, Micromoog, Korg Wavestation SR, Elektron A4, Korg ESX/EMX, Hohner String Melody II, Yamaha AN1x...

User avatar
Trevor Refix
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:27 am
Contact:

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by Trevor Refix » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:29 pm

snowcrash wrote:
Trevor Refix wrote:It would be really cool if filter 1 key track was an assignable mod in the sequencer. The only thing I miss from my A4 is that it allowed you to plock the key tracking and create some really cool melodies within a sound / sweep.
Why not sequence the filter cutoff directly? Keytracking only makes things more complicated and all it does is control cutoff relative to the note. Besides the sequencer on DSI machines works relative anyway, not absolute to parameters like it does on Elektron machines. Give it a try!
I'm always sequencing the cut off (and having a blast doing so) but I think you're right (and I was confused) - all the key tracking p-locking was doing was adding variable cut off values to my filter sweep sequence so I can re create that variable by editing the individual step amounts in the cut off sequence (or having another sequence track do a different cut off sweep).

Thanks for taking the time to respond! :D
https://soundcloud.com/textureandlight [electronic dream rock band]
https://soundcloud.com/trevorrefixmervyn [hardware based solo adventures]

cbmd
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:49 pm

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by cbmd » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Or you could assign a mod slot with note number -> filter frequency, then assign a sequence track to modulate the mod matrix slot with the note number modulation.

:D
Carson Day
Technical Support
Dave Smith Instruments

User avatar
Trevor Refix
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:27 am
Contact:

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by Trevor Refix » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:53 pm

cbmd wrote:Or you could assign a mod slot with note number -> filter frequency, then assign a sequence track to modulate the mod matrix slot with the note number modulation.

:D
!!!

Thanks Carson! :)
https://soundcloud.com/textureandlight [electronic dream rock band]
https://soundcloud.com/trevorrefixmervyn [hardware based solo adventures]

Post Reply