Pro 2 Feature Requests

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

obliterations

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by obliterations » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:22 am

Oscillator panning! Pan each oscillator to its own stereo position. ***if there is a work around for this please let me know.

obliterations

Post by obliterations » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:33 am

Ok, reading some previous requests I see that panning oscillators may not be an option. But...give us the ability to use 2 delays ...set one with a zero delay time and then the other with a very fast/almost no delay ...pan left and right and then turn the output of the source down. This could be a nifty pho stereo?

Also having "Glide" as a mod destination would be nice.

sbookholt

Post by sbookholt » Sat May 02, 2015 8:54 am

A mode where you can edit env3/env4 with the filter1/filter2 env knobs. For instance: hold env3 button so env3/env4 light up, then the filter env encoders adjust the env3/env4 values.
And i really like the copy osc idea.

J Leemans

Post by J Leemans » Sun May 03, 2015 1:33 pm

Possibility to load/save some presets for the Delay section.
Tempest & Pro2 user

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Tue May 12, 2015 10:53 am

I can't see amp envelope's sustain as a mod destination, this would be useful

ruddydarter

Post by ruddydarter » Sun May 31, 2015 9:45 pm

How about having a choice between smooth coarse oscillator tune vs quantised pitch in Global Parameters?

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:12 pm

Razmo wrote:I'd like to see the Pro 2 capable of controlling it's four oscillators on four different MIDI channels.

If able to play different melodies on each oscillator, and at the same time do intermodulation between the oscillators, you'd be able to make some really interresting and evolving FX textures that change depending on what melodies you play... intermodulations like Sync, Ringmod and other audio rate modulations would give a pletora of options.

The same effect is used on the old Commodore 64 home computer to a great degree, and I've not been able to find any synth out there that has this capability yet.

It's not enough to make this happen in the sequencer, it has to be on separate MIDI channels, so that you can change the melodies over longer periods of time, not just 32 steps.

The Pro 2 woul be perfect for this because it has individual AMP envelopes on each oscillator... Oscillator 1 could then simply be the master oscillator that triggers the filter envelopes, or in case of split filter mode, Oscillator 1 and 2.
Completely agree with you, this would really expand the Pro 2's creative potential. Please implement assignable midi channels per oscillator, DSI!

Daj

Post by Daj » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:37 am

+1 individual oscillator midi channels

Thanks for the great idea Razmo
Pro2, Tempest

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:24 pm

It doesn't look like sequencer tracks are modulation destinations, which surprised me. Would like to randomize / affect sequences using LFOs as mod sources. Is this already possible?

owensands

Post by owensands » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Here is what I have come up with for the current PRO 2 OS updates being looked at in terms of CV and sequencer implementation. Sorry if some of this has already been said.

Triggers and Clock
Most of the issues that I personally have with the CV implementation seem to stem from the sequencer not having a gate length parameter. Its seems to be a static length that is embedded into the code of the sequencer. This length is too wide in terms of pulse width for the trigs placed on the sequencer time line for them to be effective as simple triggers and clocks when interfaced with modular gear. If there was just even a global gate length parameter(would affect all steps) on the sequencer like seen on the metropolis by intellijel this would make it possible to send triggers and clocks from the sequencer tracks that have the narrow pulse widths needed for trigs and clocks.

I think its cool that you added slew rate but I think as a global track param maybe replacing that with gate length might be a better option only when the destinations are set to CV1-4. You could still have slew rate on the individual steps in the step edit screen even though id much prefer gate length over slew there again(does slew even really do anything useful when the dest is set to CV1-4???) but I think a global track gate length would benefit many things CV related.

Being that the synth was designed as such, A workaround for this design shortcoming(in my opinion) is to use narrow square wav synced LFO's that are tied to the sequencer steps. This chews up valuable synth voice architecture and with my findings has issues working 100% solid in terms of timing and resets.

V/Oct along side a Pro 2 synth line on track 1.

I really couldn't get this to work reliably. I tried using two sequencer tracks like 2 and 3 to do pitch and gate. Problem I was facing was
1) the sequences on both tracks needed to be the same and making sure that is in synch manually is cumbersome.
2) track 1 trig pattern seemed to affect the gate of the gate track I was using. Not sure why. Bug?
3) I think the gate length issue from the previous section might also be contributing to issues here.

Design proposition:
Create a sequencer track type. V/Oct. You assign a CV out for pitch and a CV out for gate on this track type. Also this track type would be like track 1 or midi tracks and have notes instead of values.

Clocking the sequencer with CV in:
It seems as though this "by design" only works with an external gate input or pressing on the pro 2 keys in addition to the clock input. In addition, currently note ties in the sequencer do not seem to work in this scenario. I would think its because the VCA is falling due to it using the gate input instead of the code for the sequencer overriding this behavior(the gate input would need to match the pattern on the sequencer for this to work currently). I would guess that this is how the midi clock code works in that it uses the clock to generate gate ons and offs to trigger the envs but when a note tie is hit it overrides that behavior in the code with a new gate on off that matches the tie length.

Design Proposition:

Default behavior
it works just like midi clock does where it only needs a clock input to work and note tie code is also implemented just like in the midi clock code.

Optional behavior
if something was patched into a CV input and the keyboard was set to use that as a gate source. That could override the typical behavior(a normalled type operation) and give you all the advanced sequencing features you might want.
Last edited by owensands on Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

namnibor

Post by namnibor » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:40 pm

:shock:
Attachments
schrittmacher.jpg
schrittmacher.jpg (28.44 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality. Critical Thinking and Expression should never be censored

Signifier

Post by Signifier » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:32 pm

I noticed that MIDI Out 2 is not an option for 'MIDI Out Select' in the Global menu.
Any chance this can be added? Thanks!

owensands

Post by owensands » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:17 pm

dupe post sorry