Pro 2 Feature Requests

The Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

xanax

Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by xanax » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:20 am

This is the place to post your Pro 2 FR's.. Mods please make this thread sticky!

So far i've seen:

* I'd like to put out a FR for "All shape Mod" and "All Delay Time".

* Sound categories filter :idea: All, Bass, Lead, HardLead, Pad, Pluck, Dirty, Riser, FX, Arp, Seq etc

* Paraphonic sequencing / real-time chord recording

* I'd like to see the Pro 2 capable of controlling it's four oscillators on four different MIDI channels.

* If the synth is in paraphonic mode, I'd like to use the synth's note poly engine to poly control externals synths - i.e. route each OSC's pitch/note number to a different CV output.

* The ability to turn off keyboard sequence transpose, so that you can play along with the sequencer without transposing it.

* When i'm recording the sequencer, i would like to set the "tie" function to push all the following notes to the right instead of overwriting them.

* real time note record input would be cool so you don't have to program rests & ties. also swing param would be nice..

* I'd just LOVE to have the ability to set different clock divisions per track

* A way to select the same waveform for all osc's at once.

* a pulse width parameter to the sequencer when destination is set to CV.
Last edited by xanax on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

blewis

Re: Pro 2 Feature Requests

Post by blewis » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:03 pm

I'll echo Razmo's request. I'll state it a bit differently

edit
It's not enough to make this happen in the sequencer, it has to be on separate MIDI channels
Nevermind the echo. I'm asking for something different. Read on if you must. :-)

Somehow I'd like to tap into the ParaNoteNumber1, ParaNoteNumber2, ParaNoteNumber3, ParaNoteNumber4. Or OSCFreq1, OSCFreq2, OSCFreq3, OSCFreq4.

If the synth is in paraphonic mode, I'd like to use the synth's note poly engine to poly control externals synths - i.e. route each OSC's pitch/note number to a different CV output.

Mainly what I'm hearing on paraphonic patches is weak bass notes because there's only a single OSC. Not a huge deal - expectations are not that this is a fat poly synth - but it could be addresses by sending either PareNoteNumber1/OSCPitch1 to a separate midi channel. That way, one could double up the bass note by delegating the bass note to another synth - a Moog, a Pulse, a P08 in unison - whatever.

The odd thing with these suggestions is that ParaNoteNumberX/OSCFreqX are serving double duties depending on what the user is doing - they can be both Mod Sources (in my example) or Mod Destinations/Seq Destinations (in Razmo's example).

At any rate, we know the paraphonic/polyphonic pitch controls are in the synth already or there wouldn't be a paraphonic mode. Would just be nice to have access to that note logic.

Man, it's really hard to keep consistent on poly/paraphonic nomenclature when you're talking about just the oscillators - cause the routing, or lacking of routing, through the filter is the differentiator.

A valid response from DSI might be "if you want fatter poly, team Pro2 up with a Tetra, P08, PER, P12, another poly". Fair enough and in that case, there's really not that much work on their side. And any work to dance around that type of solution is just more complex and potentially confusing. The only argument I see against that is the idea that Pro2 interfaces with modular setups via CV - a place where MIDI might not work, and the "poly" voices might each be different architectures.

Nelson Baboon

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:17 pm

I've already filed the first two with DSI, but just for reference:

More mod routings - since especially if you have the pro 2 hooked up with all of the cv ins and outs, you've used up more than half of the mod routings right there...

The ability to turn off keyboard sequence transpose, so that you can play along with the sequencer without transposing it.

I think that this has essentially been covered, but more flexibility in creating other note tracks, and the ability to record into them, rather than have the recorded notes just go to track 1. It is actually kind of fun to set up multiple note sequences which 'interfere' with each other because of different track lengths, and then have it use the key assign setting to resolve the 'issue'.

xanax

Post by xanax » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:38 pm

real time note record input would be cool so you don't have to program rests & ties.. this would require a click track which i dont know how easy/hard would be to implement.. workaround would perhaps be an oscillator could be stolen so it could provide a short pulse for the click during record..would then go back to normal on playback? also swing param would be nice..

MiniDX

Post by MiniDX » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:08 pm

When i'm recording the sequencer, i would like to set the "tie" function to push all the following notes to the right instead of overwriting them.

Nelson Baboon

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:16 pm

xanax wrote:real time note record input would be cool so you don't have to program rests & ties.. this would require a click track which i dont know how easy/hard would be to implement.. workaround would perhaps be an oscillator could be stolen so it could provide a short pulse for the click during record..would then go back to normal on playback? also swing param would be nice..
Elektron actually implements real time recording quite well for a step sequencer, but I think that this is just not the way the dsi sequencer is designed.

In other ways, the a4 sequencer isn't nearly as powerful as the dsi, but you can record notes (hence rests and ties) in real time, and they have an addition parameter (forget what they call it) which places the note before or after the strict step time location, so you get more resolution than, say, a strict 16th note sequence.

xanax

Post by xanax » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:07 pm

yea 'micro-timing' which allows tick shifting.. that's a pretty advanced feature but real-time note input shouldn't be that hard to implement (since you can already record real-time filter sweeps etc..) i don't know if Pro2 sequencer is designed that way but it's a pretty important feature on a sequencer imo.. i hate programming lines in multiple passes with rest/ties/note lengths, even the 303 which is known for that type of step programming offers a real-time note/length input via "tap mode".. that was in 1982.. i'd expect such a feature when claimed as having "the most powerful step sequencer ever designed for a synth" :wink:

Nelson Baboon

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:35 am

oh, yeah, also - as a sequencing nerd, I'd just LOVE to have the ability to set different clock divisions per track. The only one of the elektron sequencers to allow that is the octatrack, and it really opens things up. (I think probably it's too much to hope for independent tempos per track.)

aiynzahev

Post by aiynzahev » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:53 am

A way to select the same waveform for all osc's at once.

xanax

Post by xanax » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:59 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:oh, yeah, also - as a sequencing nerd, I'd just LOVE to have the ability to set different clock divisions per track. The only one of the elektron sequencers to allow that is the octatrack, and it really opens things up. (I think probably it's too much to hope for independent tempos per track.)
fully agreed.. the pro-2 does feature clock divisions albeit for the arp only. furthermore on dual layer synths such as prophet-8/12 you can have two different clock divisions running at once which is really nice. if pro-2 sequencer had that feature per track (or at least for the 4 independent oscillators in para mode), that would definitely rank it as being one of the most powerful step sequencers on a synth in the market imo !

blewis

Post by blewis » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:08 pm

aiynzahev wrote:A way to select the same waveform for all osc's at once.

You can already do this by pressing and holding a OSC select button. All OSC select buttons will light and a common parameter will be displayed for all OSCs on the screen. You can adjust them independently with the soft knobs OR you can adjust them simultaneously with the Shape Mod knob - the change applies to all OSCs.

Wait what? Crap that works for every parameter BUT SHAPE (and left/right)! Sounds like a bug to me. :-). Sorry I thought it was already there.

smokey5100

Post by smokey5100 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:17 am

I wanna be able to order coffee from the global settings. Lol j/k… even tho that would be nice. Like Razmo said spreading out the oscillators over 4 midi channels would be handy and the ability to play into the SEQ like an Akai.

xanax

Post by xanax » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:05 am

added an FR made by owensands over on GS concerning external CV control:

the lowest note on the keyboard(pro 2) is still very high when controlling an external oscillator. You are forced to use a DC offset to bring the range down to where it should have been in the first place [which uses up a modulation slot]. A 10V range is too much and the KEYS on the PRO 2 DO NOT cover a 10oct range. imo it is an oversight as they could have easily thrown in a pulse width parameter to the sequencer when destination is set to CV. That would make it easy as pie to send clocks.

blewis

Post by blewis » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:19 pm

The CV gate out should scale to 5V as well. There's not a way to apply the DC offset to the gate out as far as I can tell.

Being new to the CV world, I thought 1V/oct was "good enough", and I've been embarrassingly surprised that my Sub Phatty (and newer Moog gear) operate on 5V range. So even triggering the gate on my SP requires me to dig around and figure out electrical specs to make sure I'm not hurting my SP CV inputs.

So I'm the the group of being surprised by "absurdly high pitches".

It'd be nice to have a global CV toggle between 10V and 5V range. But I'm obviously noob enough that this suggestion might not be proper.

aiynzahev

Post by aiynzahev » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:48 pm

I thought I posted this already, but cycling waveforms via modulation.

klontart

Post by klontart » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Here's my requests.
  • Allow the sequencer to record notes on several tracks, not just track #1, using the same slick interface and use of Record button. In normal mono mode, allow these tracks to address the same synth voice (fun using different track lengths, speeds, directions and gaps), or an external synth using CV out. In Para mode, also allow these tracks to address the individual VCOs. Note that in all these cases the tracks will generate gates as well. When several tracks address the same synth voice in mono mode, the Gate out will produce the combined gate signals. When certain note tracks use a dedicated CV out, the associated gate signals will be available as a dedicated source (CV1 Gate, CV2 Gate, etc) in the mod matrix.
  • Allow some of the CV outputs to be used as Gate outs. Maybe implicitly by using the CV1 Gate etc sources mentioned above.
  • Allow individual tempo divisors per track.
  • Allow individual playback direction per track, similar to playback modes supported for the ARP.
  • Support for probability per step. That is the chance that a programmed step will fire off it's note or control signal.
  • Allow ARP and Seq to be played simultaneously, where the sequencer feeds the ARP.
  • At least 4 tracks of 64 steps each would be good.

Robert

Nelson Baboon

Post by Nelson Baboon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:10 pm

klontart wrote:Here's my requests.
  • Allow the sequencer to record notes on several tracks, not just track #1, using the same slick interface and use of Record button. In normal mono mode, allow these tracks to address the same synth voice (fun using different track lengths, speeds, directions and gaps), or an external synth using CV out. In Para mode, also allow these tracks to address the individual VCOs. Note that in all these cases the tracks will generate gates as well. When several tracks address the same synth voice in mono mode, the Gate out will produce the combined gate signals. When certain note tracks use a dedicated CV out, the associated gate signals will be available as a dedicated source (CV1 Gate, CV2 Gate, etc) in the mod matrix.
  • Allow some of the CV outputs to be used as Gate outs. Maybe implicitly by using the CV1 Gate etc sources mentioned above.
  • Allow individual tempo divisors per track.
  • Allow individual playback direction per track, similar to playback modes supported for the ARP.
  • Support for probability per step. That is the chance that a programmed step will fire off it's note or control signal.
  • Allow ARP and Seq to be played simultaneously, where the sequencer feeds the ARP.
  • At least 4 tracks of 64 steps each would be good.

Robert
ah yes - Probability per step is a nice feature, but relatively unusual in a step sequencer. As far as I can recall, the only dedicated sequencer to have this is the Cirklon/p3, and the only synth sequencer to have this is the Spectralis. But somehow I expect this to be way down the list of their priorities.

Nelson Baboon

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:25 am

Please excuse me if I have missed how to do this simply....

I think that there should be a way to mute individual sequencer tracks with an individual command.

(sometimes i want to keep the sequencer running for the modulations, but want to shut off those damn notes and play the keyboard. etc, etc. I think this one is pretty important, if I'm not missing the solution)

Tedthousand

Post by Tedthousand » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Here are a few sequencer based requests after playing around for a week:
-track level copy and paste functionality for both modulation and note tracks within a patch
-full sequencer copy and paste functionality across patches
-sequencer track mute
-in mod matrix, ability to have Seq Track as source and Seq Out Channels as destination
-poly sequencing in paraphonic mod
-ability to control synced LFO rates via a sequencer track and sliders

Benzebub

Post by Benzebub » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Here are to feature requests:

Hold parameter for the Envelope.

OSC Note destination so you can sequence the oscillators notes individually. As it is with OSC Freq the value does not represent note so it is quite tricky to set up sequences that manipulate the notes of the oscillators. Would also be useful as a LFO destination to quickly set up, for instance, a square LFO that changes between two notes.