help me understand loading programs

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

jeebustrain

help me understand loading programs

Post by jeebustrain » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:12 pm

So I want to load the bank of linear FM presets into my P12. I read the readme that says it will overwrite all user presets and that you should back up any existing ones via sysex first. That's great and all, but how can I combine them? Is it one or the other? What I'd like to do is ultimately end up with these FM presets in either User 3 or 4 (I store about 80 gigging sounds in 1 and 2).

If there's no way to combine this stuff, how can DSI ever realistically expect anyone to be able to load user sounds?

Chaparral

Re: help me understand loading programs

Post by Chaparral » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:52 pm

Good question! I don't use the presets and move my voices around one at a time, but with over 200 home made voices it would be good to be able to move a whole bank for another, or better still 'chunks' of voices. But with such a dangerous freedom it would also be nice to have some form of Memory Protection so that a voice could only be overwritten if it was turned off. I don't connect to a computer very often so I suspect that some other users have more of a need than I do.

jeebustrain

Post by jeebustrain » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:03 pm

In case anyone else had this question, here's the answer. It's actually really easy and took a simple email to DSI Support to resolve. Once I had my head wrapped around the sysex structure, took all of about 3-4 minutes to mod the file and load it directly into Bank 4.

Thank you for your inquiry, I would be happy to assist in answering your questions. To begin, the SoundTower editor is not necessary for transferring files to and from the synth and you can manually edit the Sysex files to change their bank locations.

The process to load or backup sound bank files is relatively easy. You will find full instructions for loading sound bank files for all our synths via Mac or PC, including factory sound bank files, at the following link:

Loading Factory Sounds Over MIDI

Here you will find full instructions on how to send sound bank SysEx files from your DSI synth to your computer for backup:

Backing Up Sounds Over MIDI

You can export/reload single files, an entire bank of sounds, or the entirety of the User memory location. You can read more about the methods for exporting files on page 11 of the operation manual. The manual can be viewed and/or downloaded at the following link to our website:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/dow ... pdf?e398fb

Once you have backed up the custom sounds in question, you can edit the sysex files to change their bank location using a hex editor. There are various free hex editing applications available for the windows operating system, just do a web search for "hex editor".

Download and install the application and load a file(s) to it. I've attached two images of a sysex file in a hex editor. The first image shows the data byte for the bank location (the file was pulled from bank 2). The second file shows an edited version of the sysex file which sets the bank location data byte to Bank 4.

You can read more about composition of the program sysex messages under the "program data dump" header on page 84 of the operation manual. The 5th data byte sets the bank location for a program.

Once you are familiar with the process to edit the sysex files, you can do a batch copy and replace on a sysex bank file. I will typically copy and find the first 5 bytes of a sysex message, then set the 5th data byte to your preferred bank destination, then perform a replace all function.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank you,

Carson
Dave Smith Instruments

jazzygb1

Post by jazzygb1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:03 pm

Thanks for that, very helpful. :)
Still that's a right faff around for a modern synth - it only came out a few years ago.
Being able to transfer sounds is a pretty fundamental thing and you'd expect it not to involve editing sys ex - I mean I can save individual sounds from my Roland XP80 without such hassle and that's from 1995!!!
I hope Dave Smith sorts out a proper solution in the near future.
Anyway, thanks :)

jeebustrain

Post by jeebustrain » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:07 am

actually, once you do it, it's actually pretty easy. Believe it or not, I think it's simpler than loading a bank on my kronos, mainly because I don't have to first transfer the files over to the board and then browse and import. This does it all in one shot.

That being said, if you want to do it the "easy" way, I suppose you could always buy the editor.

dmfs

Post by dmfs » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:57 am

So using a hex editor can I now replace the factory banks with user banks?
Great thread btw...
PROPHET 12 & 08 SE #295, TEMPEST #847 , Juno 60 , K5000S , JP8000 , MOOG TAURUS 3 and too many bass guitars...

jeebustrain

Post by jeebustrain » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:02 pm

no - I'm pretty sure the factory banks cannot be overwritten in this manner.

The only thing you are using a hex editor for is changing the bank (or program number) of the user presets you want to load. So, for my purpose, the FM presets, by default, load into User 1. I have all my gigging sounds there, so I wanted it to load into User4. So I opened up the syx file and changed the bank locations for each program (you only need to do it once and then do a batch find/replace across the rest of the file). Then when you transfer the file onto the P12 using MIDIOx, it writes it to Bank 4.