Prophet 12 Module ... ordered.

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

jdoo

Prophet 12 Module ... ordered.

Post by jdoo » Fri May 13, 2016 2:47 pm

I am slowing moving back to hardware based keyboards for a variety of reasons. Picked up the FA-06 a few months ago. Wonderful live/gig keyboard! Has been easy to put together cover tune splits and layers, etc. I wanted to add analog goodness, more to my arsenal... So I started looking at the Prophets, and the Roland JD-XA. Went back and forth over the past couple of weeks, trying to choose between the two. Listening to on-line demos, and getting some hands-on time locally. It came down to budget, and lust. Lust won out. I've wanted a Prophet since they were first introduced. The P12 module was in my range. I literally could have flipped a coin between it and the XA. Both have characteristics / things I can use. In the end Katsunori UJIIE's video pushed me over the edge. Ordered my P12 yesterday.

Going through the various threads here, while I wait.

Ambient Architect

Re: Prophet 12 Module ... ordered.

Post by Ambient Architect » Mon May 16, 2016 2:59 am

I've got a few Roland bits and bobs - JD-800/990 to name a couple. I love them for what they are, and having listened to some Tube vids the XA seems to me a modern reproduction with an analog twist. Of course you can't base a machine solely on internet vids, but one thing I can tell you is the Prophet 12 is an absolute beast in so many ways... You won't be disappointed. I'd recommend the sound tower editor however, I'm annoyed because it is full of bugs and no one ever gets back to you after you've spent the cash but at the same time it allows you access to all parameters plus more. Prophet 12 is a dream machine. My order is almost in for a P6. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers.

Ambient Architect

Post by Ambient Architect » Mon May 16, 2016 3:42 am

And yes i've gone the same way! Hardware is winning the battle. I've purchased a ton of software over the years and whilst I tend not to buy junk, you can't beat a bit of walnut. :D

jdoo

Post by jdoo » Mon May 16, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks. I havent ordered the Sound Tower editor yet, but will do it later today. Looks like the price is higher than it once was, at $69 US. Am really looking forward to diving in, and learning more about the P12.

cheers

Joe

jdoo

Post by jdoo » Wed May 25, 2016 3:39 pm

..and it's going back. It may be, because I suck at mapping it to my controller. It may be, because I am too much a synth nOOb to know how to coax the tones I want out of it. It's probably a combination of these. In any case, after hours of dinking around with it - I am packing it up and sending it back from where it came. The return policy is good, and Im definitely going to be getting something else in it's stead.

What I liked:
- Plucks, Pads, Arp was fun

What held me back:
- Mapping / cc#, NRPN, etc. Though workable, was cumbersome. I mapped some bits to an Axiom Pro, and some to an Arturia Analog Experience The Laboratory. Neither shined. Purchasing the keyboard version would have negated this problem, but was out of my price range.
- Help file. Is there one? Can only assume the target audience, is for experienced synth wizards. I'll chalk this up to failure on my part, to thoroughly research what the P12 module is. It's definitely a great synth. Just (IMO) - not for someone who doesn't have a certain level of expertise with programming synths.

Regrets:
- Mostly that I don't have the energy to devote to diving into this, as much as I was hoping. I simply need easier access to usable tones, better example patches, and documentation.