Putting a poly-aftertouch keybed in the Prophet 12.

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Dream-Synthesizer

Putting a poly-aftertouch keybed in the Prophet 12.

Post by Dream-Synthesizer » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:51 pm

I was just thinking it would be really cool to replace the keybed with something more high end with polyphonic aftertouch(and of course volecity). This is possible correct? Do any of you know who makes this and where I can order it from? I've been googling my brains out, but I can't find anything.

oldgearguy

Re: Putting a poly-aftertouch keybed in the Prophet 12.

Post by oldgearguy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:05 pm

It is not possible.

The entire synthesizer design must accept and process the information generated by such a keybed. Since the P-12 does not have that hardware and firmware embedded in it, adding a poly aftertouch keybed would be of no use.

Dream-Synthesizer

Post by Dream-Synthesizer » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:49 pm

oldgearguy wrote:It is not possible.

The entire synthesizer design must accept and process the information generated by such a keybed. Since the P-12 does not have that hardware and firmware embedded in it, adding a poly aftertouch keybed would be of no use.
Thats what I thought aswell, but it does support poly aftertouch... it was just made with a "channel aftertouch keybed" instead since a Poly-AT keybed like that would increase the retail price so much it would loose DSI money.

viewtopic.php?t=5721 see this thread, Carson confirms poly-AT in the P-12.

Only difference is that they were talking about implementing via a MIDI keyboard though... does that make any difference, as opposed to changing the keybed itself?

Mefistophelees

Post by Mefistophelees » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:39 pm

Dream-Synthesizer wrote:Only difference is that they were talking about implementing via a MIDI keyboard though... does that make any difference, as opposed to changing the keybed itself?
The connections from a poly AT keyboard might be different so you might not be able to connect them.
Even if they were the same, the firmware won't support scanning a poly AT keybed.

Your best bet is to get hold of a poly AT keyboard with and hook it up, preferably over USB (Poly AT generates a lot of traffic).
I think there are a few around now and IIRC there was one on Kickstarter or something that looked pretty good.

I just got a Linnstrument. I'm just learning it so I've not been playing with the poly AT aspect yet.

Dream-Synthesizer

Post by Dream-Synthesizer » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:50 pm

The connections from a poly AT keyboard might be different so you might not be able to connect them.
Even if they were the same, the firmware won't support scanning a poly AT keybed.
Yeah, thats what I feared. I'll send a e-mail and get confirmation from DSI whether it's possible or not, and I'll post it here.

I don't really have room in my rig for a MIDI keyboard. So it's either a keybed replacement or nothing. But then again I didn't realize I needed PolyAT in my life untill yesterday so....