Keybed for P12

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

michaeljhuman

Keybed for P12

Post by michaeljhuman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:39 am

What keybed does the P12 use? Someone claimed it was some cheap chinese keybed based on a video where one was dissasembled. Does feel cheap to me. It doesn't look pricey, like a high end Fatar, but it seems totally solid.

Not that important. Just curious

jeebustrain

Re: Keybed for P12

Post by jeebustrain » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:34 pm

I replaced the keybed on mine last year. I don't recall seeing a brand name on it (or at least I notice the Fatar name on it). I thought there might have been some chinese characters on the underside of it. I'll agree that it's not the best, but I've definitely played worse. My beef last year with it was that some of the keys themselves had broken, causing them to have a ton of wiggle and noise with them. DSI was really good and just sent me an entirely new keybed and let me keep the old one for parts. I have it sitting in my basement now just in case any of the new keys start breaking. Fortunately that hasn't happened yet.

michaeljhuman

Post by michaeljhuman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:29 am

I think the P12 is not as nice as my Motif XF board

It's maybe more on par with my Moxf6. So maybe it would be nice if it felt a bit more solid, given the price, but it's not like it's on par with my Yamaha CS1x, which does feel quite cheap

HasseFX

Post by HasseFX » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:04 am

Discussed also here:

viewtopic.php?t=7086

Mansfield

Post by Mansfield » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:24 pm

I find the keybed to be decent. The keys have a quick return to their starting position which feels satisfying and useful for quick, articulate playing. It's probably not going to win any awards for best keybed, but it doesn't hold back my playing.

-Adam

jeebustrain

Post by jeebustrain » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:45 pm

So my pre-ordered OB6 just showed up last friday. OMG, the keybed is amazing. From what I've read, it's the same as what's on the Prophet 6 (which I've never seen in person). I would absolutely LOVE to be able to put a 61 key version of it in my P12. The P12 bed isn't BAD by any sense of the word, but compared to the OB6 (and my personal gold standard for synth action - Roland Vsynth), it just feels cheap and sloppy. I play with a weighted Kronos live and I find myself having to just disable aftertouch on many of my P12 sounds because it's way too easy to trigger it.

lt773

Post by lt773 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:53 pm

I actually like the light response of the after touch on the P12. On my P6 I sold recently, It just required too much force to engage even on the lightest setting.

jeebustrain

Post by jeebustrain » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:47 pm

lt773 wrote:I actually like the light response of the after touch on the P12. On my P6 I sold recently, It just required too much force to engage even on the lightest setting.
I totally get how someone could think that - however in my situation, I'm gigging with it sitting on top of a weighted Kronos. Sometimes making the transition between the two types of keybeds makes me inadvertently play the P12 a little harder than what I probably should. Bad technique, I know, but it's usually all just in the heat of the performance.

lt773

Post by lt773 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:20 pm

jeebustrain wrote:I totally get how someone could think that - however in my situation, I'm gigging with it sitting on top of a weighted Kronos. Sometimes making the transition between the two types of keybeds makes me inadvertently play the P12 a little harder than what I probably should. Bad technique, I know, but it's usually all just in the heat of the performance.
I gotcha, makes sense in that setting. Different strokes for different folks