My Prophet 12 is skipping voices

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Tonsil

My Prophet 12 is skipping voices

Post by Tonsil » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:56 am

Hey all,
New owner and new to the forum. I recently bought my P12 off of eBay and I noticed a problem with it. Certain voices do not make any sound. Specifically, voices 2,8,9, and 10 are silent when a note is triggered. The LED lights and the voice advances to the next one such that if you play a 12 note scale, it skips 4 of them. I tried resetting to the global factory defaults, but that didn't help. I'm on OS 1.2.9.2. Should I do the upgrade? I should mention that I tried the "basic patch" with the same result, so it's not one particular patch.

Thanks for any help!

oldgearguy

Re: My Prophet 12 is skipping voices

Post by oldgearguy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:07 am

Assuming you're testing it with no MIDI and USB attached (always good to start with the basics), and factory/init patches are all behaving the same way, I'd say there's an issue with the synth. I'd contact the seller sooner rather than later to get either a refund started or have them cover a trip to DSI for repair. You could do an OS upgrade, but if voices in both layers are missing, that's usually not due to software.

Tonsil

Post by Tonsil » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:37 am

Just to follow up in case anyone else runs into something similar, I contacted DSI support and I *think* I got it sorted out. I'm not 100% sure yet because I worked on it last night and the problem was intermittent, but it seems better so far. What it was doing, when it had been on for a while, voices would start dropping out, one at a time. When that happened, the particular voice would not sound when the LED was lit. I realized that when you power cycled the synth, the voices came back. Another weird thing, when you turned it on, the selected patch was seemingly random. Those symptoms pointed to loose ribbon cables that may have shifted during shipping. DSI support told me how to open the synth up, and I re-seated all of the cables. I did that, and it seemed to improve the situation. I'm not quite claiming victory, because it did flake out one more time, but I'm not sure. It's definitely better - I played it for a while and it seemed to have settled down.

Maybe now I can start creating my own patches...

Tonsil

Post by Tonsil » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:48 am

Scratch that - I spoke too soon. It's still acting up.. sometimes it takes a while, like 20 or 30 minutes before a voice will drop out. Ah, well.