a couple arpeggiator questions

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

jeebustrain

a couple arpeggiator questions

Post by jeebustrain » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:02 am

so I don't use the arps much, but I have been noodling around more with them recently and I've come across 2 little things that I'm not sure are settings I'm missing or are bits of functionality that the P12 doesn't have.

1. On most of my other synths (V-synth, Kronos, etc..), if I hit a chord and hold down the sustain pedal, the arp continues. That doesn't seem to be the case on the P12. Is there any way to make it do that?

2. Is there any way to make the arp notes actually sync up to the clock (say, if I'm using an external midi clock signal). I'd love for the ability of holding down a chord with a 16th note pattern and have it hard lock with a drum pattern coming from another synth. Right now I have to get it "just right" in order to make it sync. This also appears to be the case if I do a split and have 2 different arps going - I can never seem to get them to line up.

I tried noodling through the global options and the arp options, and all of the things and options I tried do not appear to be making a difference.

jeebustrain

Re: a couple arpeggiator questions

Post by jeebustrain » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:14 pm

ok - for #1 I think I may have found the answer. It looks like there is a global setting (#16) that allows me to change how the sustain pedal interacts with the arp.

Still not sure about the 2nd one, though.

Mansfield

Post by Mansfield » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:49 am

Regarding question number two: connect whatever device you're using as your clock source to your p12 via midi (midi out from clock source to midi in on p12). Go to the global menu and scroll down to midi clock mode and change it to slave.

If you want the p12 to be your clock source just go midi out from the p12 into the midi in of what you want to sync it to. Set midi clock mode on the p12 to master.

If what you mean is to have the notes from the arpeggiator quantized to the beat of whatever you're syncing to then I don't think there's a way to do it on the p12 itself. You could conceivably use a DAW to quantize midi notes and then send them out to the p12 via midi, but that might be a bit tricky if you're trying to quantize what you're playing live. If you want to be really particular you could use a DAW or sequencer to arrange what you want the arpeggiator to play. Or you might just have to play in time :)

Also, to be fair I sometimes have trouble with getting it perfect when I'm recording arpeggiated parts. I almost inevitably have to do a little bit of nudging when I'm mixing.

michaeljhuman

Post by michaeljhuman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:36 am

My P12 arps sync very well to my Motif master clock

But I have to tell you, I can't play them manually. I tried and tried and gave up. I have to ensure the note on events are dead on time, and the gate times are adjusted properly. I found the P12 to be rather picky.

So if you sequence the notes you are sending to the P12, and adjust them to be dead on time, and adjust the gate times to be the right time, you should get exactly what you expect. Or learn to play in perfect time ( a feat I fear I will never achieve.)

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:59 am

I too have an arpeggiator question.

When I am programming a new arpeggiator pattern It seems to require a note at the end of the pattern.
If I try to program CD*EF*GA** it plays back CD*EF*GACD*EF*GACD etc (In fact I can't program the *s at the end - I tried putting an extra note after the ** but when I deleted the note the **s disappeared too)
I can get round it by Programming D*EF*GA**C but that starts on the wrong note. (D*EF*GA**CD*EF*GA**C)

Is there any way to program spaces at the end of an arpeggiator run? or does it have to have a note at the end?

This is not super urgent - I am just setting up arpeggiator patterns for my 160 voices because I can, not because I know what I will do with them yet. If there is a fix I will be in polyrhythmic heaven.

michaeljhuman

Post by michaeljhuman » Mon May 02, 2016 4:06 am

I had the same arpeggio issue. Seems like you can't end on a rest. It determines arp length by contiguous blanks at the pattern end. Not sure if there's a way around it. Sort of an odd omission to the OS. Also note that if you have a user arp, you will want to ensure you are in assign mode. Not sure you can change the octave parameter and it works like you would expect either ( not that big a deal if it doesn't, just noting it didn't seem to work like I expected.)

h8xlolo

Post by h8xlolo » Wed May 04, 2016 7:41 am

Hi,

I just found a possible workaround I would like to share.
To have a rest at the end of the sequence, instead of using a rest, use any note and set associated velocity to 0. There is one constraint for this to work: in the VCA section, amount should be set to 0, and some amount should be set on VEL AMT instead. The last note iof the sequence will then be silent.

Laurent

Mansfield

Post by Mansfield » Sat May 07, 2016 12:13 am

Very clever and not too terribly difficult.

-AP