Please Give us that Super Saw!

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

ilovesynth5

Please Give us that Super Saw!

Post by ilovesynth5 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:22 am

I feel like its such a simple and modest request. just give us that Supersaw from the Pro 2. i mean why not??

cbmd

Re: Please Give us that Super Saw!

Post by cbmd » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:25 am

While it does seem like a simple and modest request, the truth of the matter is far more complicated. Put simply, the supersaw cannot be implemented on the Prophet 12 due to the DSP processing power available on the synth. If you need a super saw on the P12, you have 4 oscillators with sawtooth waveforms which can be detuned and pulse width modulated...oh! and there are 12 voices as well ;)

Hope this helps clear things up!
Carson Day
Technical Support
Dave Smith Instruments

ilovesynth5

Post by ilovesynth5 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Ha. Thanks Carson for clearing up the technical part of it. I'm just dreaming of all those supersawed oscillator voices weaving in and out together. I was hoping it wasn't a hardware limitation.

jeebustrain

Post by jeebustrain » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:01 pm

it's actually pretty easy to create one yourself. 4 detuned saws, a bit of slop, and use 2 LFOs to modulate wave shape (I just set different intensities to keep things random), and another LFO to slightly modulate the frequency of OSC 2&4. You can then use the one of the aux envelopes (in repeat mode) to modulate the frequency of OSC 1&3. Add a bit of drive and then duplicate to the B side and layer them, setting the slop of B a little higher than A. Hard pan each one in the mod matrix, too. I did a side by side comparison to the raw supersaw on my V-synth and it has the same sort of grit (albeit with quite a bit more balls).

Since recording the video I was able to get a bit more of a buzzy sound by setting the overall osc shape mod to about 20 (across all oscillators). I didn't feel like redoing the entire video for it, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmKYFSQ7y6c

Mr Kay

Post by Mr Kay » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:48 am

The fact is that the Prophet 12 has 6 DSP for 12 voices and the Pro 2 one DSP for a single voice.