Prophet 12 bricked after running OS 1.3 update

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

unfinder

Prophet 12 bricked after running OS 1.3 update

Post by unfinder » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:44 pm

Hi all,

Wish I had better news (and wish I'd read the instructions to the end before I did what I did), but the new update went the total opposite of fun for me today. When I ran the update, the screen was dark and so there was no feedback at all as to where the unit was in the process. When I thought the USB firmware load had completed, I rebooted the Prophet, and it appears prematurely as it won't start up anymore. The power light is indicating it's on, but the keys are completely unresponsive, as are the controls. So yes, I realize I was supposed to wait for the unit to restart, but as I said I missed that tidbit. I frankly find it a design flaw that there's no override for the screen saver mode when running a critical process such as an update, btw.

My question, as I'd REALLY like to avoid having to ship my Prophet, is there any kind of key sequence that would bring the P12 into a "boot loader" mode so that I can attempt to re-flashing it? Since I currently have a Juno in the shop with a 6 week backlog and a Moog Sub37 over a month into a queue in Asheville to repair a factory flaw, I don't know if my psyche can handle sending another of my precious family away on a truck :?

Thanks in advance for any help!

BobTheDog

Re: Prophet 12 bricked after running OS 1.3 update

Post by BobTheDog » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:02 am

I would contact DSI support if I where you: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/sup ... t-support/

Mantrak

Post by Mantrak » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:30 pm

unfinder wrote:Hi all,
So yes, I realize I was supposed to wait for the unit to restart, but as I said I missed that tidbit. I frankly find it a design flaw that there's no override for the screen saver mode when running a critical process such as an update, btw.
Regarding, "design flaw" comment - I doubt it is because many hardware platforms do have a stage during the boot sequence when the display cannot be controlled. So as awkward as it is, the blank display pause probably could not be avoided.

I hope you will find some solution with DSI support so shipping won't be needed. In any case let us here know.
"There is no such thing as a bad synth".

unfinder

Post by unfinder » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:54 pm

There is unfortunately no way to reload the firmware without the specialized equipment they have at home base in SF, and I am in fact in the process of shipping to get it reprogrammed. Their support was very responsive and the price is pretty fair, especially since I'm more than 6 months out of warranty. Also it's a bit of a relief that I don't have to ship the entire synth, only the main CPU pcb. I'll update as it goes. And btw didn't mean to slight the design team, it's overall been a fantastic, well thought out machine. I'm more bummed with myself for being such a hasty dummy. Was so excited to try the linear fm mode!

WytchCrypt

Post by WytchCrypt » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:47 pm

unfinder wrote:Their support was very responsive and the price is pretty fair, especially since I'm more than 6 months out of warranty. Also it's a bit of a relief that I don't have to ship the entire synth, only the main CPU pcb.
Glad to hear that DSI is still offering excellent support. I've not had any issues with my P12 requiring repair, but about 10 years ago I bought a PolyEvolver that went DOA the day after I brought it home. Called DSI support and Dave actually answered the phone himself and we had a fun talk! Back in '83 I was fresh out of college working at Apple's prototype lab and was next door to Sequential Circuits...I wandered over there many lunchtimes drooling over the Prophet 5 which was complete and totally out of my price range. Anyway, thought I'd have to ship the whole polyevolver monster in, but Dave sent me a new power pcb via FedEx overnight.

Now that's what I call service :wink:
No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time.
Go.
- Henry Rollins

unfinder

Post by unfinder » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:08 am

They're pretty much my favorite makers of synth gear. I also own a tempest, my studio mate owns a Pro-2 which is also incredible and I'm seriously on the verge of pulling the trigger for a prophet 6 module now.

Always like seeing Dave's videos too. There's almost always a fine collection of good tequila in the background and I hope one day I can share a drink with him :)

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:40 am

You are not the only one to have done this, luckily when I did it I did not brick the machine.

Really the screensaver should be disabled when it is doing an update.

Ambient Architect

Post by Ambient Architect » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:37 pm

I also ran the update once when the screen saver was on and had a moment of 'shall I power cycle now?!' Fortunately the Sysex Librarian app I use has a progress bar which gave me a hint as to where we were at, this probably saved my machine! I didn't think doing that would be so catastrophic to be honest so thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience, it will make me think a lot harder during updates!

Cheers.

WytchCrypt

Post by WytchCrypt » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:09 pm

Ambient Architect wrote:I also ran the update once when the screen saver was on and had a moment of 'shall I power cycle now?!' Fortunately the Sysex Librarian app I use has a progress bar which gave me a hint as to where we were at, this probably saved my machine!
Same here...luckily Midi-Ox has a progress bar so I knew to not touch anything...prematurely :wink:
No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time.
Go.
- Henry Rollins