Channel balance

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

michaeljhuman

Channel balance

Post by michaeljhuman » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:23 am

There seems to be a bias towards the left channel on every patch I tried. Just wondering if other people see this? I don't notice it that much in the audio, but I see it in the channel levels on my audio interface and mixer

yewtreemagic

Re: Channel balance

Post by yewtreemagic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi Michael,

I suspect this is more likely to be a difference in the gain settings of your mixer channel than the output of your Prophet, but you can easily check, by plugging just one channel (left or right) of the Prophet into each mixer channel in turn.

Choose a sound that sustains (the Basic Program setting is perfect - press and hold Slider 1 Latch button and then press the Hold button to get this), and when playing a note, press the Hold button on the prophet so it sustains indefinitely.

Now adjust the individual mixer channel gain settings until the channel levels look identical, and then plug both channels (L & R) of the Prophet back in and check the mixer readings again.

Hope this helps!

Martin

michaeljhuman

Post by michaeljhuman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:56 pm

All indications are that the left level is higher than the right level. P12 plugged into my mixer and changing channels does not help

It seems very likely my P12 has some issue with channel balance. Even the simplest of patches shows the left level higher than the right.

The pan amount needed to balance the output is +16. On my mixer it's nearly halfway to hard right such the the final output is balanced.

Not a critical issue, but it's a bit annoying given how much the P12 costs

hannasdeli

Post by hannasdeli » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:15 pm

Same for me. Not very extreme but noticeable.

artElect

Post by artElect » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:17 am

Same here, but mine is louder at the right channel. I was also wondering about it, but I have to set it to only -2 to have a perfect balance. +16 is really!!! a lot. I would consider writing them! This cant be normal!

sapristico

Post by sapristico » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:46 pm

Just in case

Have you checked this behavior with the basic patch and a single Oscilator with near no autom, neither pan or stereo adjustments, only on 1 part?

There are a lot of channel oscilation depending on the preset and adjustment or mod applied on delays, panning and spread. Check the same patch in bot, the standard A St outout against the phones one...and see if there is the same issue in both or depending.

yewtreemagic

Post by yewtreemagic » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:21 pm

sapristico wrote:Just in case

Have you checked this behavior with the basic patch and a single Oscilator with near no autom, neither pan or stereo adjustments, only on 1 part?
Agreed - that's why I suggested using the Basic Program earlier in this thread :wink:

Somehow I doubt that these channel differences (if confirmed) are down to hardware component tolerances between the left and right output circuitry, but then again I wouldn't have thought that the circuitry would require preset adjustments that could potentially be out of kilter either.

Martin

wbajzek

Post by wbajzek » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:11 pm

I've noticed this imbalance on my X4 and Tetra as well. I tend to use them in mono anyway, so I've decided to just accept it.

no_barcode

Post by no_barcode » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:53 am

My Prophet 12 also has this issue. It looks like the Prophet 08 OS has a "BalanceTweak" option in the Global menu, but the Prophet 12 does not. The difference is around 3 or 4db