OS 1.3

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Bald Eagle

OS 1.3

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:31 pm

The official OS 1.3 is available for download from the DSI site along with a bank of FM sounds.

sapristico

Re: OS 1.3

Post by sapristico » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:24 am

So bye bye to the rest of requested features??

Thank you DSI.

Soulstar

Post by Soulstar » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:56 pm

Yep I can confirm this.

yewtreemagic

Post by yewtreemagic » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:59 pm

However many more times did DSI need reminding that the Audio Mod got broken in OS 1.26? :roll:

Well now they have released it to the world, so hopefully a host of other people will remind them too :wink:

Martin

F5D

Post by F5D » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Did not try this yet, but sad to hear that the audio mod source does not work. Maybe there is not enough juice under the hood for linear fm, if audio mod is in use. Would have been nearly perfect if it worked. I am a little bit lost with words, if they do not fix it and this stays as the final os for the machine.

Guys, we need to report this in the official forum. Everybody should do so, and we might still get a 1.3.1.
F5D @ Soundcloud: P12 Windscale Pads, Prophet 12 Canada (BOC), Prophet 12 Demo, Prophet '08 demo, Prophet '08 Textures - DSI Synths: Prophet 12, Prophet '08 PE, Pro-2

yewtreemagic

Post by yewtreemagic » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:40 pm

F5D wrote:Did not try this yet, but sad to hear that the audio mod source does not work. Maybe there is not enough juice under the hood for linear fm, if audio mod is in use. Would have been nearly perfect if it worked. I am a little bit lost with words, if they do not fix it and this stays as the final os for the machine.

Guys, we need to report this in the official forum. Everybody should do so, and we might still get a 1.3.1.
I don't see the 'not enough juice' get-out - if this were the case, surely DSI would remove 'Audio Mod as a modulation source?

Martin

Soulstar

Post by Soulstar » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:08 am

To be honest when audio mod did work I didn't find much use for it, did you use it for anything meaningful ?

jeebustrain

Post by jeebustrain » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:43 pm

hey - I had a question about the presets - I've never loaded presets onto my P12 (although I did the OS update and it went fine). My first 2 user banks are filled with custom sounds I use with the band. Is there a way to force these new presets to go to user bank 3 or 4? I tried going through the instructions (I'm at work so I can't test) but didn't see mention of that anywhere. I don't want to add them if I'm going to lose my sounds.

yewtreemagic

Post by yewtreemagic » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:58 pm

It's possible to get new sounds to be delivered to a different destination from their intended one, but it generally involves modifying bytes in the sysex file before it's sent (discussed in another thread here), and is not for the squeamish.

Far safer to save your two user banks elsewhere before doign ANY O/S updates, and then restoring them where you want them afterwards.

ALWAYS have at least two backups of your own sounds elsewhere!!

Take care!

Martin

Soulstar

Post by Soulstar » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:11 am

Just wanted to say how wrong I was about not finding anything meaningful about Audio Mod now it's back in 1.3.1 , I love it :D

yewtreemagic

Post by yewtreemagic » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:47 am

Soulstar wrote:Just wanted to say how wrong I was about not finding anything meaningful about Audio Mod now it's back in 1.3.1 , I love it :D
So do I - it's a great way of adding some real-life grit/humanity to sounds :wink:

My favourite so far is routing Audio Mod to the filter frequency via Env 3, for some delayed grunge

Martin

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:45 am

Finally I am a happy bunny !
I persevered with FM in OS 1.3. I was building 26 new voices with different algorithms (in the DX7 the different patterns of oscillator modulations are called algorithms) but they all sounded dreadful and each day I had to drag myself to Cassandra (my prophet 12) to try and improve things, but I was struggling and grumpy.
Yesterday I updated to OS 1.3.1 and by magic all of my proto voices have become clean and clear as I had imagined them (I have had over 30 years expertise with FM on my old DX7 (Marsha)). 1.3.1 is the real deal and behaves just as FM should. Now I am super keen to spend time on my new voices and can recognise the changes in sound as I alter the settings.
I also appreciate the Audio out mod source now that it works, and enjoy the extra dirt it can bring (I shall explore its more subtle uses later).

I forgave DSI for not having linear FM a long time ago, because it is such a great synth, but now with the linear FM it is everything I ever wanted and more. Thank you so much for spending the time to bring back useful FM to the world - I for one look forward to exploiting it fully.

sapristico

Post by sapristico » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:19 pm

Nice to hear that from an expert like you, Chaparral...and it would be GREAT that you throw here a kind of minimanual for the use of P12 as a FM synth by understanding each Osc of each voice as an Operator...and your tips&tricks for programming typical or atypical! FM sounds on it...

Just in case knowhow sharing can fit into your agenda! heheh.