Soundtower Editor: OS 1.3.0 compatible?

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

em-mohv

Soundtower Editor: OS 1.3.0 compatible?

Post by em-mohv » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:19 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking to get the Soundtower Editor so I can manage my programs a bit easier, but is anyone running it with OS 1.3.0? Any compatibility issues with this?. Thanks :)

Bald Eagle

Re: Soundtower Editor: OS 1.3.0 compatible?

Post by Bald Eagle » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:09 pm

Current official OS is 1.2.0 and it works OK with that. Current beta OS is 1.2.26 but have not tried it on that yet. I have not heard of OS 1.3.0.

em-mohv

Post by em-mohv » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:51 pm

Ahh damn, I sent them an email on this but haven't heard a response back unfortunately. Would rather not spend $100 on something which might be partially broken from the get-go :?

BoBSwanS

Post by BoBSwanS » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:18 am

I had no idea they had updated the Soundtower P12m editor to include some of the new features like Linear FM, i normally check the facebook page for updates but they did not post about any recently.

I have spent about 40 mins playing with my P12M running OS 1.2.26 with Editor OS 1.3.0 and it appears to work.
I am pretty sure some of the Mod slot menus are screwed up and they have not yet included the legacy delay mode but it functions ok and patch management works as expected.

em-mohv

Post by em-mohv » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:02 am

Not really sure about the P12m editor or what version its on. When I speak of 1.3.0, I'm talking about the OS on the Prophet 12 keyboard. Interesting to know none the less :)

giovio

Post by giovio » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi,
I am checking the demo plugin version of the editor that should be useful to do full parameter automation correctly (I am using ableton live so the nrpn is a nightmare).
The plugin seems to work well but the version available is even older than the stand alone version of the editor, so the parameter control are related to even older P12 OS.
At sound tower they say that an update of the plugin version is in progress but they do not know when it will be released.

Anyway I am thinking to buy the stand alone version of the editor, at least very useful for the librarian function (organize the sound banks) much more than the editor function that for this kind of synth is not necessary...may be worth for the sound generators functions.

Stefano

sapristico

Post by sapristico » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:07 am

Razmo wrote:Some of the modulation matrix indexes changed as of the latest beta versions of the P12 OS... the P12 have had four different versionings of the preset format, the latest being V4, and that version changed the order of the entries in the mod.matrix (to keep things tidy Pym said)... normaly when companies update with more sources and destinations, they just add them to the end of the list, to make the indexing backward compatible, but this is NOT the case with P12... some new entires was put in between others, and thus the indexes changed for earlier entries... this screw up editors that do not take preset versioning into account...
How many facepalms would be necessary...?
This is not serious

em-mohv

Post by em-mohv » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks for the heads up, do you think the issues you mentioned would pose a problem with using the Soundtower plugin as a librarian as opposed to an editor?. The main thing Im looking to do is simplify organizing my patches and user banks.

BoBSwanS

Post by BoBSwanS » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:52 am

em-mohv wrote:Thanks for the heads up, do you think the issues you mentioned would pose a problem with using the Soundtower plugin as a librarian as opposed to an editor?. The main thing Im looking to do is simplify organizing my patches and user banks.
Yes, patch management works without issues.

sapristico

Post by sapristico » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Razmo wrote:
sapristico wrote:
Razmo wrote:Some of the modulation matrix indexes changed as of the latest beta versions of the P12 OS... the P12 have had four different versionings of the preset format, the latest being V4, and that version changed the order of the entries in the mod.matrix (to keep things tidy Pym said)... normaly when companies update with more sources and destinations, they just add them to the end of the list, to make the indexing backward compatible, but this is NOT the case with P12... some new entires was put in between others, and thus the indexes changed for earlier entries... this screw up editors that do not take preset versioning into account...
How many facepalms would be necessary...?
This is not serious
Not serious? --- I tried to inform you why there could be problems with editors being used with the newest OS... I've had that problem with my own editor, so I'm pretty darn certain I'm serious :wink:
Oh Razmo...misunderstunding I think! Maybe my excess of sarcasm...nothing to do/say with your clarification/advise. That was even surprising for me...

I pointed as everything but serious the behavior with DSI, the VST/librarian plugins, the outsourced option, the unilateral decisions, the response for such issues and paralell connection between OSs...all that is what it is, considering the product range and prices.
The main point for me is not including at least a librarian soft by default...with a 3000 bucks synth. That is even hilarious.

em-mohv

Post by em-mohv » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Since we are on the topic, with respect to the Soundtower Editors - is it common for them to break once an update has been rolled out within the P12 OS?. From what I gather (if Im understanding correctly) the modulation destinations/parameters/behavior can be modified in the OS update and the Soundtower Editor has problems with complying with this?. And theres a possibility my presets might not even sound the same once another P12 OS update gets released?

em-mohv

Post by em-mohv » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:33 am

Well shit, thats a bummer. Glad I found this out while still in the honeymoon phase with this thing lol. I come from owning a Virus TI2 (which obviously caters to this type of integration) but mainly used the VST for patch management, and while I'm not a stranger to dealing with SysEx for loading and backing up stuff, the thought of an OS update mangling something is a real drawback for me. Still a really amazing synth though.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:15 am

Razmo: What are the params that changed?

I have the editor here and can test them out.....

BoBSwanS

Post by BoBSwanS » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:18 pm

I have been programming patches with the latest Soundtower editor the last couple of days and have not noticed the editor having any impact on my presets. I would assume if you do your sound design using the P12 itself then it won't have any impact.

Like i said previously, i have the latest version of the editor and the patch management is fine.
I have not noticed the soundtower editor having any impact on my presets through the various P12 OS updates or Editor updates.

This is what the mod menus look like on the current version

As you can see the filter menu lists the character options and the actual filter options are listed in the main menu

em-mohv

Post by em-mohv » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Right, my comment regarding mangled patches is more aimed at how OS updates seem to work, not the Soundtower editor. It seems like (based on what has been described thus far) that the P12 OS - if updated - may impact how certain patches are played back if they were designed on a previous OS revision where the indexes differentiate. If true thats really unfortunate, I feel like I'm locked into sticking with a certain OS revision out of fear that sounds I may have spent hours meticulously designing will get thrown out of whack if indexes get updated. While the synth nor the OS itself are the issue, it's the mechanism of dependencies through which things can seem to go sour.

Thankfully I only plan on using the Editor as a means of program management, but still a real bummer that this $3000 synth lacks stable integration with a DAW. I guess the P12 M4L device I planned on using is out of the question as well unless it gets regularly updated to reflect index changes.

F5D

Post by F5D » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:18 pm

Did you buy a new P12 that shipped with OS 1.3.0 ?
F5D @ Soundcloud: P12 Windscale Pads, Prophet 12 Canada (BOC), Prophet 12 Demo, Prophet '08 demo, Prophet '08 Textures - DSI Synths: Prophet 12, Prophet '08 PE, Pro-2

em-mohv

Post by em-mohv » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:30 pm

Ahhh now it makes sense, thank you for clarifying Razmo, your posts have been incredibly helpful!

F5D: Nope, I bought it locally and it originally came with 1.2.0 but I had to have it serviced for a fringing issue. I live near San Francisco so I just hung out at DSI's office while they worked on it (even chatted with Dave, super nice guy), when I got my P12 back it was loaded with 1.3.0. I was informed it was a version that was still undergoing development and haven't heard much on when it will be released.

F5D

Post by F5D » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:57 am

Ok, that makes sense! Great to hear that there is already a 1.3.0 then... Maybe they are waiting for the show to start to officially announce it?
F5D @ Soundcloud: P12 Windscale Pads, Prophet 12 Canada (BOC), Prophet 12 Demo, Prophet '08 demo, Prophet '08 Textures - DSI Synths: Prophet 12, Prophet '08 PE, Pro-2

WytchCrypt

Post by WytchCrypt » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:25 pm

I'm looking into buying the editor for my P12 Module and the Soundtower website currently states:

VERSION 1.3.1 Changes

Implemented new features in OS 1.3: Slop, Osc All Shape, All Delays.

Haven't hooked up the editor demo version with my P12 running 1.2.26 beta yet to test, but it seems promising :wink:
No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time.
Go.
- Henry Rollins

mekohler

Post by mekohler » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:06 am

I'm in OS 1.3.0 and P12 Keyboard Editor 1.3.1 and the editor will not recognize the P12 via USB...it shows up in every other audio program. Any ideas?