Prophet 12 so bassy!

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Petersynth70

Prophet 12 so bassy!

Post by Petersynth70 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:17 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and am in search of an answer to a problem that's really stumped me. No matter how I've tried to adjust my speakers (brand new set of Roland cm-220's), I just can't seem to shake the crackling I get from certain patches in that Prophet 12. Classic example is on the preset "Gossamer Touch". I just always wind up getting this super bassy rumble whenever I play it. Anybody else have this problem? Or have any tips on dealing with it? It's only with certain patches, and I've also tried tweaking parameters but usually wind up losing the integrity of the given patch. Which I don't want. Anyway. Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks.

hannasdeli

Re: Prophet 12 so bassy!

Post by hannasdeli » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:25 pm

Would you be able to post an audio recording so we can compare?

mekohler

Post by mekohler » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:32 pm

Remove the sub oscillator and/or use the HPF.

Petersynth70

Post by Petersynth70 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:30 am

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I've tried removing the sub-osc. and tweaking other params like the HPF, but you always wind up losing the quality of the sound that way. This is why I was asking: I kind of wanted to know if other people have ever dealt with this issue at all just to compare notes and see how they dealt with it. If I have to deal with losing some of the integrity of these patches, then fine. I just would rather not. I'm still open to the fact that this synth may just be too powerful for my speakers or something, too.

As for posting a sample, I'll see what I can do, because I really wanna solve this--it's terribly frustrating. Have neither of you ever run into this problem at all? It's like an ugly clipping that happens even at low volumes consistently on the same patches.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:09 am

An easy way to check is to use some decent headphones, if it sounds fine on them then you have problems with your monitors/room acoustics.

Gossamer Touch was one of the presets that was removed for the new patch set so maybe it was just crap!

BoBSwanS

Post by BoBSwanS » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:36 pm

I thought i had a similar issue to this the other day, then i realised due to the way i have my prophet set up it was the 2nd layer playing "Basic Patch" over the top of all my single layer patches. I did smoke a jazz cigarette just before so its my own fault ;)

Petersynth70

Post by Petersynth70 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:01 pm

You guys are funny. Thanks for the replies. Headphones! I'm ashamed to say I hadn't even thought of that! I'll give it a try and see how she goes. Thanks.

Petersynth70

Post by Petersynth70 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Ok, guys. Follow up: still getting crackling when I used headphones. I just made a WAV file using ProTools for you to hear it, but this forum won't let me upload it. Any idea why?

noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:48 pm

sounds like rumbling from something resonating in the room.

hannasdeli

Post by hannasdeli » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:23 am

It would be nice to hear a recording of what you mean with crackling... I know that in my unit some of the patches distort (or crackle) when the spread is set to the max and Drive is on. When playing some low chords or some combinations it makes this noise at intervals. Is this you are referring to?

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:41 am

Petersynth70 wrote:Ok, guys. Follow up: still getting crackling when I used headphones. I just made a WAV file using ProTools for you to hear it, but this forum won't let me upload it. Any idea why?
Zip the wav file up and try attaching the zip file.

p.s. I just loaded up Gossamer Touch, there is crap loads of distortion on it. Lower the distortion knob to 0, does your crackling go?

Petersynth70

Post by Petersynth70 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:07 am

Thanks for the replies, people. And no, I've tried all the obvious stuff like turning the drive or distortion down, etc., but nothing helps. It's not rumbling in the room because it happens with only headphones, etc. So, I emailed support and they're thinking I need to download the update. I've never done it. I bought the 321st machine, and I've been a bit behind. :) But anyway, once I do the update, I'll come back with a zip file if it's still acting up. But thanks again. :mrgreen:

KobraT

Post by KobraT » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:54 pm

HPF to around 30.

Petersynth70

Post by Petersynth70 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:28 pm

Haven't checked in here for a while, and thought I'd post my fix for future users. I talked with support about this issue and they just recommended downloading the latest OS because they said they were aware of some gain-staging issues with the first release, which is what I had installed on the P12. Well, I did just that, and...problem solved. Thanks for the feedback though. And sorry this is quite late. :)