Feature request: more Unison modes.

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

MatthewMontreal

Feature request: more Unison modes.

Post by MatthewMontreal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi folks!

As my first post can I suggest the addition at some point of more Unison modes? I've got a P12 Module but I imagine it would be the same for the keyboard.

I find it a bit strange that the only modes available are 1 or all of the voices. It would be really nice, and a bit more usable from my point of view, to have a few extra modes: 3 voice, 4 voice and 6 voice. Stacking 4 voices in each note of a triad would make for some pretty huge-sounding chords!

Is that something that could be implemented in a future OS?

thanks!
Matthew

amstat

Re: Feature request: more Unison modes.

Post by amstat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:37 pm

+1
Prophet 12, Tempest, Juno 106, Eventide Space

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:27 pm

I don't own a P12, but I'd really like to see implementation of Tetra's voice scheme on every new DSI product. Wouldn't it be nice to use your P12 as you want?? 6 monosynths + 6 voice polyphonic synth all at once??? And many variations on that... a free choice of voices and patches (obviously limited to 12 at maximum on the P12) would make it the best synth on the market!
Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 08 PE
Moog Little Phatty Stage II | Sub Phatty
Mutable Instruments Ambika 6xSMR4 | Anushri
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/synthway

amstat

Post by amstat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:49 pm

As much as I adore my P12, this is a feature that is confusing, as to why it's not included. Having to choose basically ALL or NONE in unison mode, seems kind of strange.

mekohler

Post by mekohler » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Agreed, most of the time ALL voices is just way too much. Should be a variable selection.

gridpower

Post by gridpower » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:16 am

+1

I find the ALL VOICES mode way over the top every time. If it sounds bad...well you know the rest...

It should be tweeked if possible. I love the way the Nord Lead 4 sounds when you adjust Unison. It is properly incremental.

snogglethorpe

Post by snogglethorpe » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:07 am

+1

Even if hardware limitations mean it would need to just turn off the unused voices in the layer (of course ideally the other layer could use them instead), sometimes fewer (2-3-4) voices just sound better...
我不是猫〜

Daj

Post by Daj » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:27 am

+1
Pro2, Tempest

Soundquest

Post by Soundquest » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:51 pm

gridpower wrote:+1

I find the ALL VOICES mode way over the top every time. If it sounds bad...well you know the rest...

It should be tweeked if possible. I love the way the Nord Lead 4 sounds when you adjust Unison. It is properly incremental.
I recently acquired a Nord Lead 4. I agree that it really has a certain smoothness to it's unison operation modes that to me seems unique.

noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:54 pm

plus one for this. Imagine the layering chaos 8)

ScottFromCanada

Post by ScottFromCanada » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:55 pm

I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but it might have been on reddit so I'll at my voice here as well. I've always found unison mode too overpowering on polyphonic synths with lots of voices. 2, 3 or 4 voices works really well to give you a powerful sound without being way over the top and boomy sounding.

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:24 pm

ScottFromCanada wrote:I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but it might have been on reddit so I'll at my voice here as well. I've always found unison mode too overpowering on polyphonic synths with lots of voices. 2, 3 or 4 voices works really well to give you a powerful sound without being way over the top and boomy sounding.
Good point. I don't think I've ever used the unison mode on the P08 but it's usable on the Tetra. My most-used unison is on 2 voice side of a Jupiter 6 split. Easy to dial in a sweet detuning with the dedicated knob too.

I would love to see some more flexible unison options on the P12. I can't think of a technical reason for that to be impossible.
Prophet'08 PE #3591 | Tetr4 #2088 | MEK PE #1180 | Jupiter 6 | Juno 60 | Moog Sub Phatty | MS-20 mini | random digital stuff

amstat

Post by amstat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:45 pm

The thing I find unappealing about the 12 voice unison mode, is that it really accentuates the digital character of the synth. Being able to layer just 2 or 4 voices might allow the fullness I need without that digital feel. Or am I crazy?!

Daj

Post by Daj » Thu May 01, 2014 10:25 am

Maybe in the next OS update?

Come on Pym - give it up, we know you want to tell us more good news...? :)
Pro2, Tempest

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Thu May 01, 2014 10:40 am

Razmo wrote:I too think that some extra modes would be useful. I'd recommend 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 voice Unison modes.

Reason I'm not including odd numbers is because of the Panning feature in Unison mode... if you have an odd number, the weight between the two sides in the stereo field would become unballanced, as one side would always have 1 voice more than the other. Of course this could be fixed, if the panning would allow for an odd numbered Unison mode to have the leftover voice always stay in the center, so 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 voice unison modes should be possible too I guess.

I'd also like to see that a bug I found in Unison mode is fixed... sometimes when you switch to a Unison program that does not have Oscillator Reset switched on (oscillators being free running), all voices start out their waveform phase syncronized to each other anyway. It makes the unison program sound different depending on what program you switched from, and the heavily phased sound that this gives lingers on for a very long time if there is not enough individual pitch modulation going on in the program to "de phase" them from each other quickly.

DSI ought to "de phase" all the voice's oscillators between Program changes so this does not occur... even in non Unison modes I feel it would be wise to "de phase" even the single oscillators in a voice.

It would be easily fixed... just restart all oscillators that has Wave Reset set to "off" at a random position in the phase when a Program Change is made.
Does this sync of the oscillators happen even with patches that don't use unison?

MatthewMontreal

Post by MatthewMontreal » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:06 am

A further suggestion, admittedly less crucial than allowing >1 / <12 voices:

Have settings that either allow individual volume and panning control of voices or have it hardwired but selectable along the lines of the following:

3 voice mode with L / R / C, volume of all voices 100%
3 voice mode with L / R / C, volume of C voice 100%, L&R voice 50%
3 voice mode with 50%L / 50%R / C, volume of all voices 100%
3 voice mode with 50%L / 50%R / C, volume of C voice 100%, L&R voice 50%

... you get the idea. It can really add something to reduce the volume of all but one of the voices. The added flexibility in panning is less useful, imo, but can't hurt to throw that out there anyway.

black953mj

Post by black953mj » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:25 pm

I could not agree more, multiple unison modes would be awesome!
DSI Prophet 12 - Minimoog Voyager - Access Virus Ti2 - Korg Kronos X - KingKORG - Korg Volca Keys - Korg Volka Bass - Roland RD-700GX - Novation Bass Station Rack - EMU Proteus 2000 - Various other old musical gadgets and dodads

Daj

Post by Daj » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:22 am

Hope that with the Modulus.002 PolySynth showing up.
This will give DSI motivation to implement some of the quick wins (like Unison modes) to have the P12 Features list higher to keep up...
Pro2, Tempest

mekohler

Post by mekohler » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:53 pm

bump

eisblau

Post by eisblau » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Yeah. Unsion mode is pretty useless to me the way it is now. Bump.