SoundTower over MIDI

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

mekohler

SoundTower over MIDI

Post by mekohler » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:44 pm

Has anyone gotten this to work at all, over MIDI?

- The ONLY thing that works is when I change a patch on my P12, the GUI updates properly, and changing the GUI (knobs, etc) updates my P12
- Saving, Loading and transmission over MIDI does nothing
- Patch and Genetics AutoAudition does not work, and since you cannot transmit over MIDI these functions are entirely useless
- MIDI Receive Program works
- MIDI Transmit DOES NOT work (rendering the entire thing useless)
- The Prophet shows as On-Line in the Editor and MIDI Setup has been configured and polled (successfully)

Have not tried and don't plan on using USB.

Anyone? Also the manual is not on the site (the "link" to the manual isn't a hyperlink)...60 bux for nothing.

elmquist

Re: SoundTower over MIDI

Post by elmquist » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:29 pm

Make sure to perform the standard checks that applies to almost any MIDI software:
(1) Make sure the instrument is configured to send and receive sysex and controller messages.
(2) Make sure the editor and instrument is configured for the same MIDI channel (important for NRPN messages).
(3) Make sure the MIDI ports on the instrument and adapter cable connectors are connected correctly.
(4) Check and recheck and check and recheck everything including editor settings.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:28 am

I have the editor working ok using USB but have not tried using MIDI. Try the things that elmquist has mentioned.

The documentation for the Prophet 08 editor is helpful for some of the librarian and morphing functions since it's very similar.

That being said I am a bit disappointed with the P12 editor at this point. There should still be a manual that is specific to the P12 and support for new OS features have not been added. DSI needs to step up and provide a free editor for their flagship synth. :evil: :!:

mekohler

Post by mekohler » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:52 am

All my settings are correct and I can send and receive NRPN from MAXMSP...the editor simply will not send stuff over MIDI. There must be someone? I'll try USB this week once I found a long enough cable.

Rokatansky

Post by Rokatansky » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:22 am

Don't forget to change midi all to a single channel,otherwise some midi info won't be received by the Prophet.
If i recall correctly.

Cheers

mekohler

Post by mekohler » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Ive always used ALL for Midi Channel. Thanks will try to change it to a single one.

Rokatansky

Post by Rokatansky » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:20 pm

The manual says respect to Received & Transmited Channel Messages "Ignored if MIDI channel set to ALL"

Cheers

trippinginthefall

Post by trippinginthefall » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:25 am

Can confirm - received a backup with channel set to all and my sounds were limp and wrong... like someone's kid sister went through and messed with my patches.

Changed to channel 1 and re-transmitted from Soundtower and the noises are as they should be. Whew!
Prophet 12 #1279

SilkyNIght

Post by SilkyNIght » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:44 pm

if you have an iPad and a camera connection kit

get this : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/patch-m ... 29807?mt=8

ALL your problems will go away :mrgreen: