Patch Morpher - a patch generator & editor

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

RikMaxSpeed

Patch Morpher - a patch generator & editor

Post by RikMaxSpeed » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi all Prophet 12 folk!

I'd like to announce the launch of Patch Morpher, a new & innovative patch generator, editor & librarian for iPad.

There's a whole lot of information on the app's web-site here: http://www.jazzman-ltd.co.uk/

I built the app for the Prophet 12 to start with (even if the video demo features the KingKorg a lot) because I wanted to find out what the synth was capable of without spending a long time tweaking 428 parameters to do so!

The basic premise is that you create new sounds by morphing between existing patches. This works well as the Prophet 12 has a great selection of factory sounds. You can then add splicing & further randomisation if you want to go further.

This is quite a deep app, so I won't go into a lot of detail here and let you discover it for yourselves. It's a free download btw, with an in-app purchase to use the more advanced features.

I hope you have fun - please post any scenes, patches or comments - and let me know what you think (I'd rather fix bugs than get bad reviews! :O)

One last note: please check the web-site for specific info if you're connecting via USB.

All the best,
Richard.

peter m. mahr

Post by peter m. mahr » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:04 am

Hi Richard,

this looks and reads very interesting. Do you have any plans to make it available for other platforms than the iPad?

Peter

RikMaxSpeed

Post by RikMaxSpeed » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:30 pm

I've thought about that - I could port it to the Mac - but I think a Windows or Android port are out of the question because it's written in Objective C.

peter m. mahr

Post by peter m. mahr » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi Richard,

Mac would be fine with me.

Peter

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Excelent Richard! I'm looking forward to get my 08 and try it! :)

Cheers!

alexsalsaverde

Re: Patch Morpher - a patch generator & editor

Post by alexsalsaverde » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:51 am

Incredible app. Thank you so much for creating/sharing. Revolutionized my Prophet 12 workflow. I know I'm way late on this, but I'm still very excited about its functionality

RikMaxSpeed

Post by RikMaxSpeed » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:57 pm

Glad you're enjoying it - do check out the free scenes and patches on the web-site or share your own creations.

All the best, Richard.
Richard.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Major synth & electronic music enthusiast - see http://www.patchmorpher.com for more.

mekohler

Post by mekohler » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Just a quick programming question...did you use CoreMidi or a 3rd party library? CoreMidi seems like a pain in the ass...not sure what most people are using.

Thanks!

RikMaxSpeed

Post by RikMaxSpeed » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Hi

I used PGMidi, a simple wrapper around CoreMIDI. Was easy to set up and the code is very easy to read and modify. MIDI over WiFi is also supported seamlessly, but there are some performance tweaks you might want to make to the library.

All the best,
R.
Richard.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Major synth & electronic music enthusiast - see http://www.patchmorpher.com for more.

mekohler

Post by mekohler » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:59 am

Thanks!