Ring Modulation

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Bald Eagle

Ring Modulation

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:35 pm

It would be a nice feature if there was an AM parameter that would specify basic AM or Ring. I have seen this on some other synth but cant remember which one.

There doesn't seem to be a good place on the menu to implement it. Maybe OSC Mods and do something with other parameters?

jasonswe

Re: Ring Modulation

Post by jasonswe » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Bald Eagle wrote:It would be a nice feature if there was an AM parameter that would specify basic AM or Ring. I have seen this on some other synth but cant remember which one. There doesn't seem to be a good place on the menu to implement it. Maybe OSC Mods and do something with other parameters?
Hi,

I am able to get typical RM behavior from the OSCs. Are you unable to achieve it? Perhaps I misunderstood you. Cheers

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:24 pm

I can't achieve it. How do you do it? I understand AM with the P12 but how do you cancel the carrier to get Ring modulation?

jasonswe

Post by jasonswe » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Bald Eagle wrote:I can't achieve it. How do you do it? I understand AM with the P12 but how do you cancel the carrier to get Ring modulation?
Hi,

Do not cancel the carrier, that is the one you want the audio from, in many cases. Try this with two sine waves to begin with. You will need to increase the AM param for OSC1, try a moderate setting to begin with. Keep the vol of OSC 2 (modulator) at 0 and modulate the freq of OSC 2 with some source, You can also try to disable the Keytracking behavior of OSC2 and this will allow you to decide the timbre yourself. RM output is the sum and difference of the carrier and modulator frequencies (when using a sine wave [single fundamental]). Cheers

Edit: Oops it's been a while. I take that back. I am hearing AM. I see what you are getting at. Sorry for that. The carrier is definitely still present. I do not believe it is possible, the actual RM. At times they tend to sound similar ;) Also, I agree with your feature request. It would be an extra nice thing to be able to have only the resulting sidebands.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:14 pm

So now it is in the hands of Chris and the rest of the DSI crew. Please implement a Ring Modulation feature :D

nielsd

Re: Ring Modulation

Post by nielsd » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:19 am

+1
Niels Dettenbach
dettenbach audio
music fab
http://dettenbach.de