Osc solo?

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

Post Reply
nickjarl
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Osc solo?

Post by nickjarl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:15 am

Hi!

Is there a Osc solo function somehow. The PEK have that and thats a very good feature!

Cheers

Nick

mekohler
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Post by mekohler » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:24 pm

Doesn't seem to be, I was looking for this as well.

nickjarl
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Post by nickjarl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:22 am

Anyone from DSI wanting to address this?

emti
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:45 pm
Location: France

Post by emti » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Osc solo would be great !!!

A simple way to handle this could be :

- press osc 1 button to edit osc 1 (as usual)
- press and hold osc 1 button to listen to osc 1 in solo mode
- press and hold two different osc buttons to edit all four osc at the same time

The same things could even done for LFOs and delays. It would be really time-saving, well for me at last.

User avatar
Bald Eagle
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:33 am

Another way to handle it is leave existing functions with the OSC buttons unchanged.

Double press an OSC button to solo. Press any OSC button to resume normal operation.

NewsFromTheSky
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Post by NewsFromTheSky » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Osc Solo would be good but Osc Mute I think would be even better. It would allow for soloing but would also allow you to hear two oscillators together while the third (or fourth) was temporarily removed from the equation.

I'd also like to see a shortcut for quickly pulling up the all-4-oscillators level page.

User avatar
Bald Eagle
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:35 pm

NewsFromTheSky wrote: I'd also like to see a shortcut for quickly pulling up the all-4-oscillators level page.
You an do that easily with a few button presses.

1. Press and hold an OSC button so they all lite up.
2. Press and hold the Show button.
3. Turn the Output Level knob in the OSC section and release the Show button.

You can now edit all 4 osc levels. Same thing works for other parameters too. Not as good as one button but you get used to it after a few times.

NewsFromTheSky
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Post by NewsFromTheSky » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Bald Eagle wrote:
NewsFromTheSky wrote: I'd also like to see a shortcut for quickly pulling up the all-4-oscillators level page.
You an do that easily with a few button presses.

1. Press and hold an OSC button so they all lite up.
2. Press and hold the Show button.
3. Turn the Output Level knob in the OSC section and release the Show button.

You can now edit all 4 osc levels. Same thing works for other parameters too. Not as good as one button but you get used to it after a few times.
Yeah, that's the non-shortcut. I use this page often enough that it'd be nice if there were a way to press two buttons together to jump to it.

User avatar
Bald Eagle
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:28 pm

I guess shortcut would be 1 key press?. But yeah ... I see your point now ... A one button (or two) that will bring up all 4 osc level parameters would be nice.

I still think that of lot of functionality could be added from a User Interface point of view by using double button pressing (like win double click) to implement additional special functions. Im sure that the d-Click could be recognized by the OS and then its up to the P12 to process the event.

Pym
Posts: 2197
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:24 am
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Post by Pym » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:38 pm

There's already a hold function on those buttons. I don't like adding more than that since it shouldn't be used very often. I will consider something like 'hold osc 1 + move osc level pot' to do an osc mute or solo, since that's less likely to be triggered accidentally
Bald Eagle wrote:I guess shortcut would be 1 key press?. But yeah ... I see your point now ... A one button (or two) that will bring up all 4 osc level parameters would be nice.

I still think that of lot of functionality could be added from a User Interface point of view by using double button pressing (like win double click) to implement additional special functions. Im sure that the d-Click could be recognized by the OS and then its up to the P12 to process the event.
Chris Hector
https://soundcloud.com/iampym
Dave Smith Instruments

Ambient Architect
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: Osc solo?

Post by Ambient Architect » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Did this get any consideration after Pym? Would be great to see that functionality you mention on the P12 oscillators.

Cheers.

jazzygb1
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:11 pm

Re: Osc solo?

Post by jazzygb1 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:45 pm

As a new owner of the P12, I have to say that the oscillator solo/mute is my most wanted feature too.
I also own a Studiologic Sledge and I love the layout of that.
I know It's not as powerful as the P12, but I can simply switch on/off an oscillator at the touch of a button.
It's great for very quickly hearing how one of the oscillators affects the sound and very handy for 'deconstructing' patches too.
Please, please, please DSI add this ability to the P12 in a future update - thanks :)

Ambient Architect
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: Osc solo?

Post by Ambient Architect » Sat May 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Yes, perhaps mute as appose to solo would be the better option. Can you have it ready by say.. next Friday Pym? :D

Post Reply