Prophet 12 Main OS 1.2.26

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

F5D

Re: Prophet 12 Main OS 1.2.26

Post by F5D » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:34 am

cbmd wrote:audio out mod source does work. It might be subtle depending on the nature of the patch. A good test is to mod the filter while it is self resonating. It should sounds pretty grungy with audio out modulating the cutoff.

modulating the envelopes works this way on all of our instruments. Good rule of thumb is positive modulation = shorter, negative modulation = longer.
Thanks for the reply Carson. I agree with the env mod destinations to not change their behaviour. I will try the audio out mod more today. However, I believe I tried it quite extensively already, and it seems to do nothing. Assigning it to any filter cutoff or resonance or osc pitch should have clearly audible changes, and I went through the whole mod amount range, sound staying original with no attempted modulation, like the A/D at the output was broken. To compare with something similar, I used the same destinations, but changed the mod source to osc 1 as input and it caused clear modulation happening. I am just wondering now, has it always been like this or not, because I remember using this in many of my sounds and now it does not seem to do anything.
F5D @ Soundcloud: P12 Windscale Pads, Prophet 12 Canada (BOC), Prophet 12 Demo, Prophet '08 demo, Prophet '08 Textures - DSI Synths: Prophet 12, Prophet '08 PE, Pro-2

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:00 am

The audio out mod source sounds to me like it isn't working, I know it was subtle before but now it seems to do nothing.

F5D

Post by F5D » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:55 am

BobTheDog wrote:The audio out mod source sounds to me like it isn't working, I know it was subtle before but now it seems to do nothing.
Exactly, could not describe it any better than this. I also remember it being subtle, but now it has no effect at all. I was already wondering if it was left out because of the linear fm and optimization of the mod matrix / dsp usage, but this is also with oscillators set to exponential fm. Maybe something has happened with the mod matrix slot routings, pointing to a wrong (empty?) source? IMO this mod source is very important, because it is in addition to the tuned feedback, the only feedback possible from the output of the voice, and helps creating those organic resonating sounds.

To sum up, this is not working for me, you nor Razmo, so it is actually broken.
F5D @ Soundcloud: P12 Windscale Pads, Prophet 12 Canada (BOC), Prophet 12 Demo, Prophet '08 demo, Prophet '08 Textures - DSI Synths: Prophet 12, Prophet '08 PE, Pro-2

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:10 am

I have done some further testing, its definitely not working.

A simple test:

1. Basic Patch
2. OSC 1 to Pulse 50%
3. Mod: OSC1 to OSC1 Shape Mod

This has a drastic effect on the wave shape as you change the amount of modulation

Now change:

4. Mod: Audio Out to OSC1 Shape Mod

Now there is no effect at all on the wave shape.

cbmd

Post by cbmd » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:14 pm

Yes I did ACTUALLY TEST this Razmo, though I forgot that I'm running a newer OS version which has a few fixes which are not present on the 1.2.26 OS. The audio out mod source does work in our latest OS but not on the 1.2.26.
Carson Day
Technical Support
Dave Smith Instruments

F5D

Post by F5D » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:19 pm

cbmd wrote:Yes I did ACTUALLY TEST this Razmo, though I forgot that I'm running a newer OS version which has a few fixes which are not present on the 1.2.26 OS. The audio out mod source does work in our latest OS but not on the 1.2.26.
This is unfair, you are using a newer OS than we are! Ok, just kidding, nice to hear that it will be working again! :D

LA Keys

Post by LA Keys » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:50 pm

cbmd wrote:Yes I did ACTUALLY TEST this Razmo, though I forgot that I'm running a newer OS version which has a few fixes which are not present on the 1.2.26 OS. The audio out mod source does work in our latest OS but not on the 1.2.26.
...Then where is it ??? :?:

LA

sapristico

Post by sapristico » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:50 am

Hi again....apart from bugs...I continue suggesting functionallities from O.S. upgrades. There is something that a reviewer pointed time ago: the bipolarity in the LFOs curves different than triangle. Just in case...

F5D

Post by F5D » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:20 am

sapristico wrote:Hi again....apart from bugs...I continue suggesting functionallities from O.S. upgrades. There is something that a reviewer pointed time ago: the bipolarity in the LFOs curves different than triangle. Just in case...
I agree. This would be a very welcomed feature. I asked for this at some point. Could be a toggle switch in the osc menu to select bipolar / unipolar with default settings according to how they are now, triangle being the only bipolar waveform I believe. Using square wave lfo for "vibrato" needs setting osc tunings lower in order to keep correct pitch.

noirext

Post by noirext » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:58 am

Polyphonic Unison or GTFO!

(I mean, pretty please, I know we are not worthy....)

RobbaSvenna

Post by RobbaSvenna » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Polyphonic unison - Just do it!™

silvain

Post by silvain » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:44 pm

There's always more one can do, but for now, this is just VERY splendid! I am very satisfied with the new features, as far as they work and most of them do!
Chris, you are REALLY AMAZING! I salut your perserverance inspite of all the problems and the sometimes disgraceful reception. Thank you and once the last one or two issues are fixed, I will be very happy with this release.
Just had time to updat to the latest OS today and enjoyed it very much.

Criterionradiohead

Post by Criterionradiohead » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:45 pm

As for additional features...

Yeah, Polyphonic Unison would be really awesome.

Last note of sequence can be a rest.

Ability to assign how long each step is held in a sequence.

Polyphonic sequencer!

You know, if y'all developed a hardware sequencer with all these features (and more) and made it work with P12, Pro2, and P6... I bet there would be quite a bit of interest in such a beast.

Thank you DSI guys for hearing us out!
Michael ;-)

Flux302

Post by Flux302 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:16 am

I have to say I'm really impressed. After seeing the issues with the tempest I was hesitant to grab another dsi product but the p12 landed in my studio. I've updated to 1.2.26 and I'm really just in awe. Really great. Looks like it much left to fix before the release is official.
I put the fm mode to work tonight and was loving it. Poly unison would be appreciated but I have to say thanks for the great update.

one thing that might be a bug? is when set to unison, and key assign is set to last note. if you retrigger the last note while holding a note it will not retrigger the envelopes when I believe it should as you are indeed retrigering a "last note" this would differ from "last retrigger" as it would not cause the envelopes and everything to retrigger on the held note but only on the note that is being actually retriggered last.
Ken Flux Pierce
Fluxwithit.com
Youtube.com/flux302
Facebook.com/groups/theproducershangout

F5D

Post by F5D » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:21 am

I agree with others, once the audio out bug and possibly some other bug that was mentioned (?) are fixed, we will have a fantastic stable OS available for the P12 with features that many wanted since the launch of P12. Somebody always has a new idea that could be added to the existing features, but that is an infinite loop for the developers. We were already surprised about this update after the long silence. The addition of linear FM to me is huge. I actually bought the P12 thinking that it had it built-in, and was somewhat let down for a day or two after realizing that it does not have it. However, even without it, the journey with the traditional subtractive hybrid synthesis has been a real joy, as the synth offers so much character from left and right. Even though at times it looked like DSI were too busy fixing bugs, they managed to solve some difficult issues with the help of the forum, like the noise phasing bug and some others that really made a difference.

Recently, DSI have shown a new way of communication at forums: speed, friendliness and will to fix things in their products (are they jamming with acid at work now? :mrgreen:). They totally surprised us with the linear FM and showed that they truely wanted to give their flagship the functionality that it deserves. If they want to implement still some new simple feature before release version of the OS, I believe nobody is against it, but I will personally be totally fine with the next OS that has the audio out mod working. After this, I will be silently waiting for the next flagship Sequential 12-voice Prophet 12V with added VCOs and discrete filters + fx with their own displays from the Prophet 6. 8)

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:43 am

This update is absolutely fantastic. The addition of linear FM just seems to round things out and make the P12 feel like a completed near perfect synth.

Sure, there is an endless number of little features that could be added and hopefully we will continue to get more new goodies in the future. But there is one more that I would like to see sooner than later and that's an option to switch between AM and Ring Mod.

Thanks to all the hard working folks at DSI, keep up the good work :D

nikwal

Post by nikwal » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:36 pm

F5D wrote:. We were already surprised about this update after the long silence. The addition of linear FM to me is huge. I actually bought the P12 thinking that it had it built-in, and was somewhat let down for a day or two after realizing that it does not have it. However, even without it, the journey with the traditional subtractive hybrid synthesis has been a real joy, as the synth offers so much character from left and right.
Yeah, good thing they did'nt do a "blofelt" , it took THEM about 7years from launch to a good os..
About linear fm, I really think theese things should be made more clear in the manual, kind of expected it to be linear too. Don't get me wrong I do a lot of programming(fpga & avr) so i know the kind of complexity involved behind firmwares , but for once I'd like to buy a product where absolutely nothing more is to be expected but I know it's too much to ask for.. ;-)
But for me, nothing can beat the real time control you have and the versatility. That kind of makes it worth it right there. Now I'm glad I did'nt go with the virus.

sapristico

Post by sapristico » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:17 am

Ambient Architect

Post by Ambient Architect » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:47 am

This synth is a beauty. Patch link for the brave running 1.2.26.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrda8hzp7cdps ... J.mid?dl=0

I recommend a send to a large reverb (Lexicon 224 here) but not necessary.

Cheers dudes.

Mr Kay

Post by Mr Kay » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:40 am

nikwal wrote:Yeah, good thing they did'nt do a "blofelt" , it took THEM about 7years from launch to a good os...
The fact is that Waldorf went to bankruptcy 10 years ago and was re-founded by former employees who have another job to pay their bills.